Surfcasting Rod Size

Rate this topic

AnalyzeThis

I am curious if there is any kind of "guide" to picking out the size of a Surfcasting rod. I am sure it has to do with where you fish generally, but curious to hear peoples thoughts. I currently use a 9ft but hear of a lot of people using 11-12ft rods. I mainly fish from the beach or in boulder fields and back bay areas. Would there be any advantage to switching over to a bigger rod? When and where are you using what size rod?

You can always cast close to shore but when you can reach the albies at 100-125 yards or over the outer bar you may catch more fish .. but you will need the rod , reel , line to do it … 12 ft rod may be a good starting point ….shorter rods that can throw 100 measured yards ….from a beech using a hatteras cast will be significantly more expensive … 

Longer rods are typically heavier and will wear you out faster.  they're also comparatively more expensive, and harder to store and transport.  Shorter rods are lighter, realtively less expensive, easier to store and transport, but don't cast as far, and for casting heavier weights can leave a lot to be desired in terms of feel and sensitivity.  the longest rod I'll throw lures with is 10ft, and I'll frequently use rods as short as 6 1/2 feet if I'm fishing rivers, outflows, marshes, or place where the good structure isn't too far out.  you really just need to weight all the factors for yourself.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Line rating, reel and guide layout will all give you a lot more distance than the 2 foot increase from 9 to 11 feet will. 30lb braid max, 20 if you're ballsy, good NGC or KR layout and a 9'er will send your sinking pencils to 100 yards very reliably.

Edited by RedGreen

Know where you are fishing!  In my neck of the woods I use a 7'6 for back bay / spring fishing.  My all around rod is a 9'.  When the weather is knotty I will go up to a heavier 10'.   I could not imaging a "12' as a starting point" that was recommended above but his fishing zone not likely at all matching to mine.  Big rods will just wear you out and completely overkill in my opinion for every day fishing of "beach or in boulder fields and back bay areas" like you describe.  

You have the right rod in the 9' in my opinion you would look at a longer rod for fish past end of your current cast or nasty foul weather days where the wind is driving in your face. 

I have rods (conventional) from 9 1/2 foot fiberglass to 11 foot graphite. Throwing a 3 ounce bank sinker with the same line and reel, my best measured casts are within a few feet of each other, something like 110 yards. I believe that, within reason, technique is more important that rod length. Use what you are comfortable with. I certainly wouldn’t want to fight with anyone who can push eight n bait with a stout 13 footer

.........Elvis lives....2020

I have typically used the longer rods all my life (11-13'). Mainly as I usually am fishing with bait and not lures, so I only cast about once every 10 minutes (per rod). It doesn't wear you out because you are not casting nearly so often.

For a lure rod, most people will not go beyond 10-11'. Mine is 9', and I just picked up an 8' for use in bays/surf for light jigs for fluke fishing.

My 9’ GSB is my primary rod for about 80% of my fishing. It has more than enough power to handle most fish i will encounter. I’ve taken fish up to 35#’s on it, and the way things are headed, those will be few and far between in the future. I do have a 10’ ODM Genesis that i love for the beaches, when i know i’ll need a little more distance to reach the fish.

IMO, 11-12’ rods are overkill, unless you’re fishing places like the Canal, or maybe Montauk. A 9-10’ rod is more than capable in most situations you will encounter.

A lot of this depends on your physical make up and what type of fishing you like to do.

If your tall in statue an 11’ to 12’ rod will work for bait fishing & plugs.

If your vertically challenged like my self 9’ to10’ rods work for plugs.

One thing to keep in mind about the longer rods, is the length of the butt. This would be an issue if you are buying one wily nily or inheriting one. I have my old man's 12' DeStafano built spinning rod. A great piece of gear. But it is hard for me to cast with because I have shorter arms than my Dad. 9&10 footers dont seem to be a problem. Unless you get a custom rod built for your frame, or you have long arms, you might find that slinging a long rod too much or lacking the big casts. However if that butt length matches you, casting a big rod like that all day isnt any different than a 9 or 10 I have experienced.

Edited by pvd1ag