jps1010

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ - Striped Bass Public Comment - Due by 4/15

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I received the email below and wanted to share on here.  If you haven't done so already, please take a few minutes and compose a quick email to the ASMFC.  I just sent mine.  Good luck to all of us.  We need it.

 

Greetings,

I am checking to see if you and your club members have gotten around to writing and submitting your public comments on Amendment 7. These comments are due no later than 4/15/22. 

Amendment 7 is an extremely important document as it will serve as the bible for how the striped bass fishery will be managed. Some options contained in the draft will direct the Board to take fast and decisive action when the science indicates the fishery is in trouble. Other options under consideration would provide the Board with broad latitude on when and if it needs to act. In our experience, it is the Board's lack of effective action that has resulted in the depletion of the striped bass fishery. It is very important that the ASMFC hears from the public that it must adopt options that require fast and decisive action.

The process of writing your public comment will only take 5 minutes of your time:

  1. indicate why a healthy striped bass fishery is important to you

  2. indicate your preferred options (see below)

  3. include your name and your address or location

  4. forward your comment to comments@asmfc.org with the Subject line: Draft Amendment 7

We have done the heavy lifting for you in terms of evaluating the options under consideration. The NYCRF recommends all of the following options:

 

4.1 Management Triggers

Tier 1-Fishing Mortality Management Triggers

Option A1

Option B1

Option C1

 

Tier 2-Female SSB Management Triggers

Option A2

Option B1

Option C1

 

Tier 3-Recruitment Triggers

Option A3

Option B2

 

Tier 4-Deferred Management Action

Option A

 

4.2.2 Recreational Release Mortality

Option A

Option C1

Option C2

Option D1

 

4.4.1 Rebuilding Plan

Option B

 

4.4.2 Rebuilding Plan Framework

Option B

 

4.6.2 Management Program Equivalency

Sub-Option B1a

Sub-Option B1c

Sub-Option B2b

Sub-Option C3

Sub-Option D3

Sub-Option E2

PLEASE take the 5 minutes to submit your public comment. This is very important. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be more than happy to write a comment when I know what all these "options" actually are.  The way this is presented here it means nothing to me.  There's absolutely no information on what we're supposed to prefer.  How or where do we get that?  I'd much rather make an informed and intelligent reply.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'll be more than happy to write a comment when I know what all these "options" actually are.  The way this is presented here it means nothing to me.  There's absolutely no information on what we're supposed to prefer.  How or where do we get that?  I'd much rather make an informed and intelligent reply.   

Try reading through this for "options"

 

DraftAm7 for Public Comment_NJ-PA hearing 03.14.2022.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heres a better idea.

go to your local community board.

address the issue as a large group instead.

 

with this, it can actually get recorded down in public records that an issue, complaint, community suggestion.

is being expressed by a party, and listened to by another government party. which might have a sliver of a chance.

to be addressed in higher level meetings.

 

writing a letter doesnt do jack squat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Thank you.  That should have been in the original post.

The email came from the NYCRF which was indicated in the email I shared.  If you do not know who they are, a quick Google search will result in their website which tells you all about them.  Their goals are in line with mine which I why I shared it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, EricL said:

heres a better idea.

go to your local community board.

address the issue as a large group instead.

 

with this, it can actually get recorded down in public records that an issue, complaint, community suggestion.

is being expressed by a party, and listened to by another government party. which might have a sliver of a chance.

to be addressed in higher level meetings.

 

writing a letter doesnt do jack squat.

Complaining about it here doesn't do jack squat.  If you cannot attend in person, writing or calling is the next best thing.  CWitek who is very involved in this process has stated this numerous times.  After speaking with him over the years, I will take his word for it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im not complaining fyi.

my suggestion is probably the most direct route one can take and do legally under civil rights.

you can express your concerns directly to your local community elected representative.

you can walk into your local community board whenever you have time and state issues and look for help.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, EricL said:

im not complaining fyi.

my suggestion is probably the most direct route one can take and do legally under civil rights.

you can express your concerns directly to your local community elected representative.

you can walk into your local community board whenever you have time and state issues and look for help.

 

Yeah I'm going to walk into my town council meeting and bring up striped bass management triggers...lmfao what are you talking about??

 

You should read more and type less - it's clear you haven't a clue re the fisheries management process.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

50 mins ago, buddha162 said:

 

Yeah I'm going to walk into my town council meeting and bring up striped bass management triggers...lmfao what are you talking about??

 

You should read more and type less - it's clear you haven't a clue re the fisheries management process.  

cool.  good luck with your endeavors.

 

if you believe things will get passed or move along as what wed like without politicians involved and or money on the table.

Edited by EricL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I left my comments.  I want to believe my words will be read and have an impact. 

Edited by pressphotog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.