PeteA

What new gear are you trying out this season???

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So what new gear are you guys trying for the first time this season? 
I’ll start off. A weekend warrior here, relatively new to surf casting. At the MSA Show I picked up a Surf Rite bag, Surfcaster Belt, some new lures: sp minnows - laser shine and chicken scratch, Super Strike black eye - red head, Yo-Zuri Hydro Minnows, burple and black over silver. I also got a night fishing permit. Looking forward to getting out and giving everything a test drive! 
What about you all? 

Edited by PeteA

I am going to force myself to throw soft plastics a lot more. Picked up some Zinger Baits and Sluggos. I unlocked the Darter last year and it quickly became my favorite lure. Can't go wrong with the SS but I picked up a few from different builders that I'm excited to try. 

I've been fishing a very long time and it's easy go get sucked into new gear but generally speaking and the last bunch of years especially,  I don't buy any new gear unless its a lure that is just happens to be crushing fish I don't have.  Otherwise I've made it a mission to learn how to fish my go to lures in my bag like the bucktails, metal, metal lip swimmers, sp / bombers to needlefish.  Knowing how and when to fish lures has provided me more knowledge collectively than the money spent on new stuff that doesn't produce nor do I have full trust in.    What ends up happening is you end up with lots of gear that you don't know how to fish well instead of a tight bag of lures you have high confidence in and can fish in any situation. 

For me this year I hope to dial in my use of the needlefish and darter.   I spent the last two work on my bucktail fishing and tuning metal lip swimmers.  

2 hours ago, ReyAztecaNY said:

I am going to force myself to throw soft plastics a lot more. Picked up some Zinger Baits and Sluggos. I unlocked the Darter last year and it quickly became my favorite lure. Can't go wrong with the SS but I picked up a few from different builders that I'm excited to try. 

Same here. I almost never use soft plastics but stocking up on some this season and give them a shot. 

32 mins ago, Danthe said:

Ande Backcountry mono. 

In what pound test? Ande 12lb backcountry is my go to line.

Reaction tackle braid....I'm a suffix snob but my buddy gave me a big spool of it....so what the hell,I'll give it a shot

Time to empty the bag and try some different baits… using 7-8 foot lighter outfits , paddle tails, small rapalas, swimmers and gliders.  Hopefully get some better results, 

5 hours ago, gcjeep14 said:

Time to empty the bag and try some different baits… using 7-8 foot lighter outfits , paddle tails, small rapalas, swimmers and gliders.  Hopefully get some better results, 

:th::th: