phishallways

Mets season of hope?

Rate this topic

1,799 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Fly By Nite said:

He chose the safety of contract years and playing for a crap noncompetitive team no one cares about.  He'll likely be injured 75% of his time there and the world will forget he ever existed.  Sure,  he'll have a ton of money.  Maybe that's all he wanted from the beginning. Pretty sad ending for such a high caliber athlete.  I wish him the best.  He was fun to watch the past 8 years. 

Not a Met fan, but he was extremely fun to watch in NY. As for him choosing the "safety" of a maximized guaranteed contract that will pay him a ton of money, that's all anyone wants. Including you, me, and every other person on this planet. Good for him! Same as Judge, if he leaves for the left coast. Can't fault an athlete that has a limited 10/15 year career life span for maximizing his paycheck.

I don't fault anyone for taking the safety net.  It's not about the fame, fortune,  and glory anymore. There are players we'll never forget- at one time I believed deGrom would be one of them.

23 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

As a 34 yr old ball player should. This is probably his last payday contract, on the field.

Maybe, but all the respect i had for him is now gone. Don’t ever want to see him at an old timers game in a Mets uniform. No way. I’d have had more respect for him going to Braves or Phils, if Steve didn't want to pay him. Stick it right to us. The Rangers? Weak move.

15 mins ago, phishallways said:

Maybe, but all the respect i had for him is now gone. Don’t ever want to see him at an old timers game in a Mets uniform. No way. I’d have had more respect for him going to Braves or Phils, if Steve didn't want to pay him. Stick it right to us. The Rangers? Weak move.

Why?? Not sure what your line of work is, but if a relatively same company offered you a TON of money, for the same work you do now, you'd be stupid not take it. If your boss didn't match it, that's on them. If you're going to get mad, get mad at Cohen, NOT Degrom. Degrom earned every ounce of respect from Met's fans and every baseball fan around the country. Degrom, after retirement, should be at EVERY Old Times Day until he wishes not to be.

Edited by Fishtale7

1 min ago, Fishtale7 said:

Why?? Not sure what your line of work is, but if a relatively same company offered you a TON of money, for the same work you do now, you'd be stupid not take it. If you're going to get mad, get mad at Cohen, NOT Degrom. Degrom earned every ounce of respect from Met's fans and every baseball fan around the country. 

Reports saying Mets weren't given a chance to match the offer. I think he just wanted out. I enjoyed his time here but glad they didn't overspend. 

Bye

3 mins ago, Smellsfishy said:

Reports saying Mets weren't given a chance to match the offer. I think he just wanted out. I enjoyed his time here but glad they didn't overspend. 

Bye

I don't get why degrom had to ask them.  The Mets offer was 100 mill and 3 years less. The sides weren't on the same planet. There's nothing wrong here.  Everyone moves on. 

Edited by Fly By Nite

1 min ago, Fly By Nite said:

I don't get why degrom had to ask them.  The Mets offer was 100 mill and 3 years less. The sides weren't on the and planet. There's nothing wrong here.  

Agree there's nothing wrong. Didn't say he had to ask them. I think that him not giving the Mets a chance to counter showed he wasn't gonna stay regardless

11 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

If you're going to get mad, get mad at Cohen, NOT Degrom.

Yeah no. Jake had the chance to be the “Seaver” that wasn't run out of Queens. A Met legend. I’m a Met fan ultimately, not a DeGrome fan. If he didn't even give the Mets a chance to match $, then F-him all the more. Ran away from the challenge of bringing a trophy here. I hope Harvey pitches better going forward.

2 mins ago, Smellsfishy said:

Agree there's nothing wrong. Didn't say he had to ask them. I think that him not giving the Mets a chance to counter showed he wasn't gonna stay regardless

No reason to counter if the sides are so far apart.  I'm pretty sure he would have wanted to stay in NY if they were going to pay him the years and the Mets just didn't want to be married to him that long. I'm disappointed as a fan but it's probably the best thing for both sides. 

3 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

No reason to counter if the sides are so far apart.  I'm pretty sure he would have wanted to stay in NY if they were going to pay him the years and the Mets just didn't want to be married to him that long. I'm disappointed as a fan but it's probably the best thing for both sides. 

I'm disappointed also. Over the years I went to many games that he started. I'm also surprised anyone offered 5 yrs for a 34 y.o. with his history, especially a team not predicted to be competitive

Pretty weird for sure the Rangers went all in on him.  I'm guessing the Mets hedged their bet on teams having cold feet on degrom thinking they could snag him for less time. There is no chance degrom will last 5 or 6 more years. But,  curse of the Mets in full effect, now. 

Edited by Fly By Nite

27 mins ago, Smellsfishy said:

I'm also surprised anyone offered 5 yrs for a 34 y.o. with his history,

Why? How different is Verlander’s path to his now 40yo body, and we may end up paying 40yo Justin instead of a hg talent. I would have preferred 5 years from Jake than 2 years from a 40 yo. Mets should have at least matched the contract. 

Edited by phishallways

6 hours ago, phishallways said:

Why? How different is Verlander’s path to his now 40yo body, and we may end up paying 40yo Justin instead of a hg talent. I would have preferred 5 years from Jake than 2 years from a 40 yo. Mets should have at least matched the contract. 

I would have preferred 5 with degrom but that's just because I'm a fan.  The pragmatic in me would take 1 or 2 from Verlander instead. DeGrom is 34 and pitched fewer than 40 games in the past 3 seasons. 

I said it months ago that I wouldn't be broken up if he left.  And I'm not.

I enjoyed watching him while on the Mets, but as pointed out, he's been injured and there really isn't anything to hang your hat on while he was here.  Did we win a series?  Cy Young?  

Would have been nice if he stayed.  I'm going to be much more upset if Nimo leaves.

14 hours ago, phishallways said:

Yeah no. Jake had the chance to be the “Seaver” that wasn't run out of Queens. A Met legend. I’m a Met fan ultimately, not a DeGrome fan. If he didn't even give the Mets a chance to match $, then F-him all the more. Ran away from the challenge of bringing a trophy here. I hope Harvey pitches better going forward.

Cohen would've paid him, just wouldn't commit to a 5yr deal given his age and injury history, smart move on his part. Sad it's not a sport anymore, grew up in Flushing, been a Met fan all my life. I have zero expectations so never get too choked up about any pro sports game. Most pro athletes have no integrity and no class anymore. DeGrom could've stayed, F him is right....