hhager23

Leaf Spring Bushings

22 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, PKBassmaster69 said:

Depending on how seizes up the original bushings are, pressing them out can be a major PITA. Same with pressing in new rubber. Poly is much easier to install from what I understand

This was my thought about the price seeming high... Maybe not so high with having to press out, and in the rubber bushings...

Butch

16 hours ago, PKBassmaster69 said:

Depending on how seizes up the original bushings are, pressing them out can be a major PITA. Same with pressing in new rubber. Poly is much easier to install from what I understand

That shop has a major press if they re-arched the springs to begin with. Pressing bushings out and back in would be a cakewalk for them

30 mins ago, moocks said:

That shop has a major press if they re-arched the springs to begin with. Pressing bushings out and back in would be a cakewalk for them

Off topic but damn good looking GSP in your avatar.   On topic you are correct.  Already had them off so the bolts won't be a problem.  Should be short money.

1 hour ago, moocks said:

100% the only other thing I could say is that they might have to perform an alignment afterwards which might add some cost. But otherwise, if they have the right equipment it shouldn’t be a labor-intensive job.

4 hours ago, PKBassmaster69 said:

100% the only other thing I could say is that they might have to perform an alignment afterwards which might add some cost. But otherwise, if they have the right equipment it shouldn’t be a labor-intensive job.

The only other thing I have to say is ...... WTF are they going to need an alignment for ?

3 hours ago, moocks said:

The only other thing I have to say is ...... WTF are they going to need an alignment for ?

I know alignments are recommended for leaf-sprung jeeps and I’m assuming i the same applies in this case too. But the only way to replace or re-arch the leaf springs is to effectively disconnect the axle from the body.  Something as simple as an incorrectly torqued u bolt or shackle when reinstalled can throw everything off. Even if everything is done perfectly, the entire suspension settles differently than it did once before.

By no means is it usually a requirement though either. The truck might still drive/ride fine without an alignment. But without correct/proper alignment there’s a whole list of problems that can occur

On 3/28/2022 at 10:09 PM, PKBassmaster69 said:

I know alignments are recommended for leaf-sprung jeeps and I’m assuming i the same applies in this case too. But the only way to replace or re-arch the leaf springs is to effectively disconnect the axle from the body.  Something as simple as an incorrectly torqued u bolt or shackle when reinstalled can throw everything off. Even if everything is done perfectly, the entire suspension settles differently than it did once before.

By no means is it usually a requirement though either. The truck might still drive/ride fine without an alignment. But without correct/proper alignment there’s a whole list of problems that can occur

I had a leafs all around Blazer 84? I had the leafs re-arched, and they never realigned the driveshafts, the steeper angle caused the universal to blow without warning. As far as bushings go, you can make the bushings last longer by squirting some spray can lithium grease between the bushing and the bolt every once in a while. I have an 04 fifth wheel and an 06 F350. Last year was the first year I’ve had any repairs to each. The only place it goes is the beach.