hhager23

Leaf Spring Bushings

22 posts in this topic

First I want to thank all of you who gave me advice on leafsprings for my 2006 Dodge Dakota. I recently had them re-arched and the difference is amazing. My truck no longer looks like it has the carolina drop and the ride is much quieter. However I have a follow up question. 

When they re-arched the leaf springs I asked them to let me know if there were any other issues they saw and what I should consider doing to correct them. When I picked up the truck as they were finishing up, just before closing, I asked about any other issues. The cashier told me there were no other issues but one of the workers mentioned that the bushings were pretty worn. I mentioned that if that were the case I was not happy that the bushing work was not done while the springs were already off. The shop agreed to do the added bushing work without charging me for the spring removal again but it would cost me for the bushings (and another day without the truck). 

Should I plan on replacing the bushings? I don't notice any squeaking but is this something I need to do (~$300) while I can get a deal on the labor or am I needlessly worrying? I am ignorant when it comes to suspension issues. 

Thanks for your input. 

Stick with the rubber for leaf spring bushings. Poly will squeak and there is no good way to keep them properly lubed without disassembly.

8 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Rubber.  Should have been done when they pulled them.  300 sounds pricey. 

Thanks very much, Stryper Snyper.

18 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Should have been done when they pulled them.  300 sounds pricey. 

Sounds expensive to me, since they aren't charging you to remove the springs...

Butch

I have no idea. I don't know what bushings cost. I think there are 3 to each spring? 

Thanks for the input. What would you think a fair price would be?

6 hours ago, moocks said:

You have 2 front bushings and 2 rear that come with the shackle kits that's about 150.00 in parts maybe less

Good to know! Thank you.

Get em redone with rubber, poly will squeal and transfer more vibes than plain ol rubber ones. Crazy how they had em off, saw they needed replacement and didn't call to recommend changing them, smh. Also for $300, they better be replacing all hangers, shackles, bushings, and hardware. 

1 hour ago, ChrisNYC said:

Get em redone with rubber, poly will squeal and transfer more vibes than plain ol rubber ones. Crazy how they had em off, saw they needed replacement and didn't call to recommend changing them, smh. Also for $300, they better be replacing all hangers, shackles, bushings, and hardware. 

Thank you, Chris. I will take that list of hardware with me.

Depending on how seizes up the original bushings are, pressing them out can be a major PITA. Same with pressing in new rubber. Poly is much easier to install from what I understand