using lump & briquette charcoal combo

Rate this topic

my rule of thumb has been to use lump when grilling & briquettes for long cooks. Wood depends on what flavor you prefer. When Im doing a real long cook like brisket. I start off with lump charcoal & wood chunks layered for the 1st 4 hours. Then switch to briquettes for the last 8 or 10 hours without any wood. As briquettes last longer for slow cooks vs the lump which is faster & hotter burning.  As most significant smoke penetration doesnt occur after 3 hours. Imo the lump is cleaner burning. This is why I use it for the 1st 4 hours with wood chunks to get a cleaner smoke taste in the meat. pfa only 

Your guys opinion ? 

274741207_635707787690616_4723772351649182225_n.jpg

I live to fish. Not fish to live. 

I fish because things in my head tell me to.

I recently switched from using briquettes to lump and I don't think I'll go back.  The cleanup convenience on a kamado style alone is worth a lot.  I used to have to empty lots of ash in to the trash after every cook, and now I only have to scrape it out once every 4-5 cooks and it's compost safe.  Less cleanup combined with the fact that home depot stopped the yearly 2-for-1 super deal on briquettes made them less appealing.

3 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Lump for everything for me... I used to use some coconut briquettes.. They had no filler or binder... Just burnt shells squished together... Very good, until they weren't.. 

Butch

that the only drawback from me using charcoal briquettes is the artificial binders they are made with. Imo thats what takes them longer to achieve that clean smoke Im looking for 

Edited by vce12342000

2 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I recently switched from using briquettes to lump and I don't think I'll go back.  The cleanup convenience on a kamado style alone is worth a lot.  I used to have to empty lots of ash in to the trash after every cook, and now I only have to scrape it out once every 4-5 cooks and it's compost safe.  Less cleanup combined with the fact that home depot stopped the yearly 2-for-1 super deal on briquettes made them less appealing.

I agree. I do prefer the way lump burn vs briquette on certain cooking times.  

6 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Lump for me, you can taste the difference every time...

2 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

You can certainly smell the difference....

Butch

Now Im gonna have to experiment for myself. Gonna have to do a full slow & low cook with just lump :headscratch:

On 3/23/2022 at 2:54 AM, jjdbike said:

So what several people here seem to be saying is that lump is cleaner , more natural and produces a cleaner smoke and flavor, w/ out the chemicals binders. That’s what I always thought and why I only use lump.

JD

I bought a bag of lump from lowes once that had charred hardwood flooring in it.  I assume it was lumber mill reject and didn’t have floor finish on it but since then I always look out for square edges…

I have no problem using either.   Briquettes are reliable, some lump has been dodgy.  Mill scraps are often used, no problems with that. I don’t like unburned anything in the lump but it happens.  Last couple bags had a lot of bits and dust so probably 10%+ wasted through the grate.   I don’t expect any smoke flavor from either unless it’s bad, add wood. 
Read somewhere, probably amazing ribs, that lump and briquettes are a little different in gases from combustion so lump gives less smoke ring. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black