BrianBM

Pollock

Rate this topic

78 posts in this topic

So if I venture up to Red Sox country, what boat and what time of year is optimal for pollock? It's been decades since I caught one. It's a generation, or more, since Montauk's Pollock Rip had any pollock in it.

From what I remember, tackle generically suited for bluefish is generically suited for pollock, too, but I haven't tried since the early 1980s.

Or do I have to look to a Maine boat (sigh) for pollock?

I’ve never fished for them but hear it’s great when it’s on.  Check out Eastman’s (N.H.) reports- it sounds like a late fall/early winter fishery.

Eastman’s (Seabrook, NH) or one or the Gloucester boats (Yankee Fleet, Gloucester Fleet) in the fall (October/November). The jig-only trips are particularly fun. Nothing like cranking up a double-header of big pollock in 300 ft of water. Ruins your back and arms for a few days. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Captain’s Fishing Parties on Plum Island does pollock and haddock trips. 
I’ve never been onboard, but have chatted with customers in the parking lot and have never heard a bad review. 

Edited by PlumFishing

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would wait for the American classic..   Dec January  feb..   porbeagles too

Edited by 1ife

Just now, 1ife said:

I would wait for the American classic..  nov Dec January ..   porbeagles too

And from where does he sail?

35 mins ago, 1ife said:

Lynn ma

He hasn’t sailed since 2013 or so. I know they’ve been making progress on fixing up the boat, but no timetable for when they’ll be sailing again. 

27 mins ago, bob_G said:

Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin,

Where you never come out, the way you went in.

You ask for water, but they give you gin,

The girls say no, yet they always give in.

If you're not bad, they won't let you in,

It's the darndest city, I've ever lived in.

16 hours ago, BrianBM said:

So if I venture up to Red Sox country, what boat and what time of year is optimal for pollock? It's been decades since I caught one. It's a generation, or more, since Montauk's Pollock Rip had any pollock in it.

From what I remember, tackle generically suited for bluefish is generically suited for pollock, too, but I haven't tried since the early 1980s.

Or do I have to look to a Maine boat (sigh) for pollock?

Brian, if you wanted to fish pollock from the Cape, you'd most likely be dealing with a charter out of the Bay side, not a headboat. Unless you went on one of the few trips the Helen H runs to Georges'.

Ya pretty much want to depart from N of the Cape, say Green Harbor on up, where lots of boats target pollock cod etc

Does anyone see harbor pollock anymore?  Once upon a time they were fairly plentiful from shore every spring and late fall all the way down to Rhode Island.  I can’t remember the last time I caught one. Usually as bycatch when targeting bass.