surfstryker

Beginner looking for small stream advice in PA

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

quick update and question. so thanks to a very kind and local-to-me member here I have been practicing out back on a setup he loaned me. I'm consistently hitting targets within about 25 feet of me and at varying distances. I am going to head to the creek in the near future, just waiting on some waders to arrive. 

I know I need a net, which I'm looking for a budget version, extra leader/tippet, but what other key pieces of gear should I have with me? Any recommendations?  

A pair of hemostats for crimping barbs and removing hooks. Nippers for snipping tippet - some hemostats have a built in line cutter. The more costly ones aren't necessarily better.  Thanks for the follow-up on your progress. I trout fished for years without a net and rarely removed a fish from the water.

Just now, JohnDe said:

A pair of hemostats for crimping barbs and removing hooks. Nippers for snipping tippet - some hemostats have a built in line cutter. The more costly ones aren't necessarily better.  Thanks for the follow-up on your progress. I trout fished for years without a net and rarely removed a fish from the water.

thanks! good to know the net isnt absolutely necessary. i was quite surprised to see how expensive some of them are! 

update: after a couple outings, some frustration, and a healthy dose of luck, i've managed to catch a trout on the fly! i was nymphing the other day (many thanks to an extremely generous member here on some tips) and hooked what i think was a stocked rainbow that proceeded to jump at least a foot out of the water. got him too me fairly quickly and while fumbling for my camera he came unbuttoned at my feet. i dont often take pictures of the fish i catch but being the first trout on the fly for me, this particular fish was an exception. either way, it was a super rewarding experience and thank you to everyone here for the suggestions, tips, gear, etc! hopefully can make this a more regular occurrence! 

On 2022-03-21 at 10:45 AM, surfstryker said:

So I recently moved to southeast PA and am within a 5 minute walk to a stocked creek that has a fly fishing only section.

Buying tackle is the second thing we should do when starting out. The first thing is to get lessons from a qualified instructor who knows your area. A lot of the runs in central PA are tiny and a big rod is about the worst thing to use there. A good instructor will direct you to the sort of tackle we need to fish these small creeks, plus provide the necessary casting instruction. You will save money by spending it first on instruction. Go to the Fly Fishers International https://www.flyfishersinternational.org to find a qualified instructor near you.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:07 AM, Steve_in_PA said:

I find the lower cost Redingtons to have a soft action.

Many beginners prefer a bit faster action when starting out.

I have one and hate the thing.

The Redington Classc Trout is intended to have a slower action. Almost a true moderate rod. Great for gentle dry fly placement.  I bought an 8'6" 4wt on Ebay for something like $75. I fished it religiously for a few years, drys and nymphs and the occasional wooly bugger. Now it is my go to light weight single hand Skagit rod because it's so easy to load. 

I'd agree, most of the lower end Redington rods cast like mush. I had an 8 weight Pursuit that weighed about 6 pounds and wasn't exactly beginner friendly. I overlined it, underlined it,  never really could make it feel just right.  Ended up with a Orvis Clearwater that I still use as my kayak rod because you just can't break em.  

All that being said the Classic Trout is an great trout stick for the money.  It's not for casting big streamers in the wind, or heaving big dropshot nymph rigs, but it'll do pretty much everything the average trout angler could want a rod to do for a pittance, especially if you fish smaller water.