surfstryker

Beginner looking for small stream advice in PA

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

So I recently moved to southeast PA and am within a 5 minute walk to a stocked creek that has a fly fishing only section. I was wondering if there is a budget combo you all would recommend for our PA area streams targeting trout? Also if there is a set of flies that would fit this type of fishing just so i can get out there and try it. I'm sort of testing the water so don't want to break the bank just yet. My understanding from research on here is I'd want a 5 or 6 wt with small trout flies or nymphs. I am clearly very new to fly fishing and just looking for a little direction to get started, specifically relating to small/medium sized streams that I will be fishing.

47 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Find a fly fishing store and  buy a casting lesson or two first, and then the tackle. Budget accordingly.

thanks! i had a feeling this was one of those things where watching a few youtube how-to videos wont go far...:) 

seems like there is a tackle shop or two relatively close to me that offer guide services. i assume they would offer lessons as well so perhaps i will try that.  

When you get sorted out with casting we have a nice little thread here called Small streams . Has a lot of useful info on the subject also a nice link to small streams. Pa is included this might be a little helpful finding waters you can explore .

28 mins ago, KidDkivahh said:

When you get sorted out with casting we have a nice little thread here called Small streams . Has a lot of useful info on the subject also a nice link to small streams. Pa is included this might be a little helpful finding waters you can explore .

awesome thank you! 

Find a local Trout Unlimited Chapter and attend a meeting.

You might find someone to give you a starter set.

Likely give you some casting lessons.

Good news is that on many PA small streams, you don't need to haul or cast long distances.

BTW, what county are you in?

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Find a local Trout Unlimited Chapter and attend a meeting.

You might find someone to give you a starter set.

Likely give you some casting lessons.

Good news is that on many PA small streams, you don't need to haul or cast long distances.

BTW, what county are you in?

Thanks, I am in Delaware County.  Looks like there is a Delaware County chapter, Chapter 320 Delco Manning. 

The creek by my house is probably 30 feet wide, maybe a bit more, at its biggest - at least in the very small area of the park ive explored. 

Edited by surfstryker

1 min ago, surfstryker said:

Thanks, I am in Delaware County.  Looks like there is a Delaware County chapter, Chapter 320 Delco Manning. 

The creek by my house is probably 30 feet wide, maybe a bit more, at its biggest - at least in the very small area of the park ive explored. 

I assume Ridley Creek?

Valley Creek up in Valley Forge is another you should explore.

An 8 to 9 foot 4 weight would serve well on those streams.

And you don't need an expensive setup.

A little further down SE in Chester is White Clay.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looks like the Delco Manning TU and the Valley Forge TU are still having virtual meetings.

You might want to stop by TCO shop in Bryn Mawr to see if they offer lessons.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

6 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I assume Ridley Creek?

Valley Creek up in Valley Forge is another you should explore.

An 8 to 9 foot 4 weight would serve well on those streams.

And you don't need an expensive setup.

A little further down SE in Chester is White Clay.

Yep! I am a few hundred yards from the Ridley Creek Park entrance off Bishop Hollow Road. Thanks for the advice on setup! Definitely want to check out some of the other creeks/streams in the area once I get my bearings. 

2 mins ago, surfstryker said:

Yep! I am a few hundred yards from the Ridley Creek Park entrance off Bishop Hollow Road. Thanks for the advice on setup! Definitely want to check out some of the other creeks/streams in the area once I get my bearings. 

If you go to a shop, don't let them talk you into an expensive setup.

Some of the Chinese rods on Amazon are fine or even something like an Orvis Clearwater.

Once you learn how to cast you will start to develop a feel.  

Then you start to develop a preference for rod speed.

I have several expensive rods by Scott and Sage, but often for fishing small PA streams grap a Amazon Maximumcatch rod.

PAFLYFISH.COM is also a good resource for PA fly fishing.

37 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

If you go to a shop, don't let them talk you into an expensive setup.

Some of the Chinese rods on Amazon are fine or even something like an Orvis Clearwater.

Once you learn how to cast you will start to develop a feel.  

Then you start to develop a preference for rod speed.

I have several expensive rods by Scott and Sage, but often for fishing small PA streams grap a Amazon Maximumcatch rod.

PAFLYFISH.COM is also a good resource for PA fly fishing.

Thanks so much for the help! that site looks incredibly valuable! Not looking to spend a lot until I'm sure I can dedicate the time to it. just what I need - another fishing related hobby! :)

I'm not sure if the TCO shop gives casting lessons, give them a call and find out.  There's an Orvis store in Haverford on Lancaster Ave.  The TCO fly shop used to be co-located there, but since they moved to their current location I don't how big a fly fishing foot print the Orvis store has these days.  They did offer free Fly Fishing 101 classes.  I know the Orvis store in Plymouth meeting offers the Fly Fishing 101 class and a tying class.  Another club you might check into is the Main Line Fly Tyers, don't let the name fool you they meet at the Greater Plymouth Community Center, 2910 Jolly Rd, Plymouth Meeting, PA. on the third Thursday of the month.  Delco-Manning TU meets the first Tuesday of the month at the Delaware Valley Field and Stream clubhouse.  Even though I'm a member, I have no idea what classes they might offer.

As far as rod/reel go, I would stick with either a 5 or 6 wgt.  Just remember that stocked streams in SE PA are warm water streams and hold both bass and panfish.  Either would be a more versatile rod, and could handle the larger flies you would need for bass and panfish, so you can continue fly fishing after it gets to warm to chase trout.  As already mentioned you don't need an expensive outfit.

17 mins ago, Philly said:

I'm not sure if the TCO shop gives casting lessons, give them a call and find out.  There's an Orvis store in Haverford on Lancaster Ave.  The TCO fly shop used to be co-located there, but since they moved to their current location I don't how big a fly fishing foot print the Orvis store has these days.  They did offer free Fly Fishing 101 classes.  I know the Orvis store in Plymouth meeting offers the Fly Fishing 101 class and a tying class.  Another club you might check into is the Main Line Fly Tyers, don't let the name fool you they meet at the Greater Plymouth Community Center, 2910 Jolly Rd, Plymouth Meeting, PA. on the third Thursday of the month.  Delco-Manning TU meets the first Tuesday of the month at the Delaware Valley Field and Stream clubhouse.  Even though I'm a member, I have no idea what classes they might offer.

As far as rod/reel go, I would stick with either a 5 or 6 wgt.  Just remember that stocked streams in SE PA are warm water streams and hold both bass and panfish.  Either would be a more versatile rod, and could handle the larger flies you would need for bass and panfish, so you can continue fly fishing after it gets to warm to chase trout.  As already mentioned you don't need an expensive outfit.

Thanks Philly! Great info here. Will have to check out the Orvis store as well.