Goldy

NLBN Shads and Jig Heads

Rate this topic

223 posts in this topic

37 mins ago, hobobob said:

I have more stuff than the local tackle shop.

it's totally wacky, i get it

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

It's not hording if you still know what you have ( mostly ) and where it is ( mostly ). :howdy:

hording is hoarding no matter how you spell it.

:read:

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

well, until someone comes up with a color-shifting pattern, that is as close as I could come. 

No, not at all.

The beaches in Juno and Jupiter are civilized places where beach crime is unheard of. Also, that rod never leaves my hands when I take it out which is when sharks or tarpon are very possible. Otherwise, a "cheaper" Century paired with a VR on most days outside of summer. 

The only place we worry about gear is if you are leaving it unattended while fishing the jetty or pumphouse at Palm Beach Inlet. A little bit of a different crowd down there and gear has vanished when not paying attention. While I have never seen it, have heard stories of guys running off with gear bags, back packs and that "spare" rod you left in a spike while you were down by the water. I don't include that combo on any day that I carry two rods, for exactly that reason. 

As for being physically robbed, like at knife point, never heard of such a thing happening down here in our area. I also carry a full size dive knife very prominently on my Batman utility belt so anyone that wants to make a go of it would have to think twice. 

I have heard that theft is an issue at other inlets, with a few stories about Sebastian. But that is third hand at best. 

Good to know.

I've very rarely been concerned, but I plan on fishing in FL a few times in the nearer future so tendencies are v useful.

Just now, Saltfruit said:

Good to know.

I've very rarely been concerned, but I plan on fishing in FL a few times in the nearer future so tendencies are v useful.

like in all manner of our daily lives, be aware of who is around and where you are. unless bait fishing where you are not going to move around, I suggest traveling as light as you can. I don't like backpack due to the heat and lack of access without removing, so I use the Batman utility belt shown below. 

on days when you want two rods, you need a way of carrying the one you are not using, either putting it on or tucked in to your belt/pants/shorts.

there are commercial options out there, or you can DIY one from your standard rod holder tube. when i do carry a lighter second rod, I used this contraption made from a rod holder, plastic taken from the top of a Rubbermade container and one of those locking belt clips. Works pretty well, though tucking into your belt will give same effect. 

DF701E06-86D2-4492-9A77-DFEB754B4DDB_1_105_c.jpeg.802da06d82fac1e29ac884e5f9f8aa4c.jpeg

9AEA1082-0A51-45F0-9639-0C880166AF63_1_105_c.jpeg.34ace94c2c171b67c7b2b5b8742b4033.jpeg

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Yes, this is interesting.. I think Social Media is taking over.  I can't see Why this is the SHAD any different than any other shad. 

As a non-floridian I'd agree their brand is incredibly marketed.

I see their tags all over Instagram and linked with Van Staal, individual shops, snook, tarpon, and all manner of FL fishing tags/posts.

6 mins ago, flyangler said:

like in all manner of our daily lives, be aware of who is around and where you are. unless bait fishing where you are not going to move around, I suggest traveling as light as you can. I don't like backpack due to the heat and lack of access without removing, so I use the Batman utility belt shown below. 

on days when you want two rods, you need a way of carrying the one you are not using, either putting it on or tucked in to your belt/pants/shorts.

there are commercial options out there, or you can DIY one from your standard rod holder tube. when i do carry a lighter second rod, I used this contraption made from a rod holder, plastic taken from the top of a Rubbermade container and one of those locking belt clips. Works pretty well, though tucking into your belt will give same effect. 

DF701E06-86D2-4492-9A77-DFEB754B4DDB_1_105_c.jpeg.802da06d82fac1e29ac884e5f9f8aa4c.jpeg

9AEA1082-0A51-45F0-9639-0C880166AF63_1_105_c.jpeg.34ace94c2c171b67c7b2b5b8742b4033.jpeg

You ever carry that 10’ Suzuki tucked away like that? 

I have that rod and been thinking about bringing it along on my back (built in holder on it) or attaching a plastic spike to my belt but the length feels like trouble.

@Goldy forget the NLBN thing, I wanna know when you got the Stradic FL I see in the background and what line you’re putting on it??!!

(In the off-season, I decided I “had no choice” but to order the current top sexy line: YGK upgrade x8. PE 2. )

Did the VS people fix your VR50 line lay yet? Smdh 

13 mins ago, EricDice said:

@Goldy forget the NLBN thing, I wanna know when you got the Stradic FL I see in the background and what line you’re putting on it??!!

(In the off-season, I decided I “had no choice” but to order the current top sexy line: YGK upgrade x8. PE 2. )

Did the VS people fix your VR50 line lay yet? Smdh 

I got a smoking deal on the c5000xg.  I have a specific purpose for this real.  Im using jbraid grand 30

39 mins ago, flyangler said:

I've seen some pretty cool contraptions on JP sites, but your belt does make me envious.

Prett sure I've seen it pop up on some of the belts threads.

I'll it all in mind, thanks.

20 mins ago, EricDice said:

You ever carry that 10’ Suzuki tucked away like that? 

I have that rod and been thinking about bringing it along on my back (built in holder on it) or attaching a plastic spike to my belt but the length feels like trouble.

no, i don't. there are limits to that particularly solution  as the longer the rod, the higher the center of gravity and the more swing it will exhibit. the combination of length and weight is another complication. so it is usually two rods that are 7-8' and under 2oz rating, one loaded with a popper and the other a paddle tail. 

the 10' suzuki is light and can be used that way, I have done it. but it does tend to sway and you have to nudge it back into position. I have considered using a length of paracord to secure the Suzuki's butt to my leg, thinking it will cut on the sway, but I have never gotten round to experimenting with that. 

the issue in florida is you never know what might grab your lure, so you have to size your kit to cover everything from a 15" snook or lady fish up to a 15# jack or 40" snook. that is quite the range so unless you are contented in snapping off the big fish, gear is always heavier than the minimum for little fish. 

last autumn, during the mullet run, a guy was fishing with a "snook rod", classic 8' with 15-20# braid and 3000/3500 reel. I walked up on him when he was 10 minutes into a fight that was taking him up and down the beach as he chased the fish. clearly not a tarpon, no jumps, and unlikely to be a big shark, no bite off and he was gaining some line. that left either a big snook or a muscular jack. the guy was cursing at that point complaining about the fish potentially spooling him, etc. 

ten minutes after that, so 20+ minute fight, he brought a jack that went over 25 pounds that I tailed for him and brought it up on the beach. the guy was so disgusted with the fish that he did not even want to take a photo with it. he walked away complaining about being tired, hot, sweaty and how he should have broken it off....

moral of the story, don't fish under-gunned during periods where it can be anything out there. or, don't put so much value on your braid and just break it off. 

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

I've seen some pretty cool contraptions on JP sites, but your belt does make me envious.

Prett sure I've seen it pop up on some of the belts threads.

I'll it all in mind, thanks.

yeah, it has been in the Flatlander thread and the bigger surf bag discussion. I carry quite a bit in that little bag and on the belt. the photo shows the range of sizes needed since you never know if the day's bait will be small or large mullet, pilchards or sardines. 

I have trying to slim down the weight over the past year or so. for example, I have given up carrying the leader spools based on advice from @PlumFishing - I now simply coil 20' lengths of 20, 30, 50 and 80# in separate ziplock bags and tuck them into the bag behind the tubes. I also have dropped the dehooker and the EMT scissors. but I have added a small molle pouch to hold binoculars and a couple other small items. 

hey Goldie, check out that white paddle below with the standard jig head, they work....

ETA: The photo is from my days before NLBN entered the rotation. 

400F03BC-2E54-49E3-87DA-EA71E24F0BFA_1_105_c.jpeg.25420ce21e97067e90af3b0ca25a52a9.jpeg

835D3562-19DE-4EF6-ACA0-7014AE58B8C2_1_105_c.jpeg.99ee6c3787247eb7c674f21e5936f26a.jpeg

Edited by flyangler

3 hours ago, flyangler said:

BTW, when SE Florida has the minnow run in the coming weeks and the wind is blowing on the beach, you have to get small and heavy and the white Hogy 4" in 1 or 1.5 ounce cannot be beat.

Very difficult for a separate paddle tail and jig to get to 1oz or more and not be 5-6" long. And when the tarpon are keyed on those small baits, they can get very picky. Been there, know that. 

That knocks the NLBN out of contention.

"Hatch matching"

87CFA2AA-0A29-4B05-9E0A-08C725426900_1_105_c.jpeg.4bca7758339a54a3a92fc4b649211f15.jpeg

What is the size of your leader? 60lb ? 80lb?

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

It's not hording if you still know what you have ( mostly ) and where it is ( mostly ). :howdy:

Broke a rod last week.  Went digging thru my inventory for my backup.  Never found the backup but did find a rod I forgot I had that will be a suitable replacement for the one I broke.  One day I'll find the rod I was originally trying to find.