Goldy

NLBN Shads and Jig Heads

Rate this topic

223 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

@flyangler unfortunately you probably have to pour your own or get some custom made then but they sell 'color' shift pigment powders you can make plastics with and they look almost as cool as the setup does

SS - I don't want to recap all that I "learned" while building that rod. There is actually a many-paged discussion in Rod Building where I chronicled all of the fits and starts. It was a great learning experience, but I would not repeat that build. I am usually a stealth-black type of person but that one all started with the purchase of that Andromeda reel seat. 

 

One thing I learned is that mixing pigment into another medium does not give you the color turn you want. Mixing pigment with epoxy glue and using that to build the rear seat ramp was a huge disappointment. The microscopic pieces of glitter have to be laying in a flat layer to get the color to shift, color on surface, epoxy on top. Thus, I am not sure how adding the powdered pigment, which I have but did not use, would work mixed into the melted plastic. It might work if sprinkled on top but then you could only do the surface on the top of the mold. 

 

I am good with the abalone and Matagi seat stealing the show.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Goldy said:

What do you and Tom think about think about NLBN sticking outside of my bullet head with water displacement

No clue really. Would depend on how you retrieve, no? Slow and steady vs more of a jigging motion? If you were to get that head dead center, then it should not affect the tracking on retrieve. If off-center, then you could get it favoring one direction or the others. Will that make a difference? I doubt it.

 

And if you are jigging, many hits will happen on the fall, and the more erratic the fall, the better I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@flyangler if you youtube 'PIGMENT PARTY; Demonstrating NEW Pigments & Colors for Soft Plastic Fishing Lures'  or 'COLORSHIFT MANIA: Pouring Fishing Lures With Automotive Pigments' this guy has a couple videos of color shift pours, they're pretty cool. I've 'accidentally' made a galaxy type batch before after mixing random colors as well, wish I took a pic. 

Edited by Snook_Slayr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, flyangler said:

No clue really. Would depend on how you retrieve, no? Slow and steady vs more of a jigging motion? If you were to get that head dead center, then it should not affect the tracking on retrieve. If off-center, then you could get it favoring one direction or the others. Will that make a difference? I doubt it.

 

And if you are jigging, many hits will happen on the fall, and the more erratic the fall, the better I think. 

Im tired of people telling me that it displaces water and effects action and you need to use NLBN heads.  I call BS on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

@flyangler if you youtube 'PIGMENT PARTY; Demonstrating NEW Pigments & Colors for Soft Plastic Fishing Lures'  or 'COLORSHIFT MANIA: Pouring Fishing Lures With Automotive Pigments' this guy has a couple videos of color shift pours, they're pretty cool. I've 'accidentally' made a galaxy type batch before after mixing random colors as well, wish I took a pic. 

you are funny. 

 

at this point, the last thing I need is a new DIY hobby. I don't go through enough tails to make that economically feasible. and while I think the colors are cool, they are not going to change the fish behavior. white and black/burple with some 2-tone gray and green about covers all of my needs. oh, and lime green. and a light shrimp color. 

 

See! This is what happens when you start thinking about it....

 

BTW, where do you slay snook? What part of FL? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Goldy said:

Im tired of people telling me that it displaces water and effects action and you need to use NLBN heads.  I call BS on that

I agree with you. When someone says that, ask them when was the last time they saw a bait fish swimming in a straight line at single speed. No baitfish does that, none, and if they did, gamefish would be looking for the cripples anyway. 

 

And who retrieves any paddletail straight in. If you are not doing a true jig/fall, then you are retrieving steadily but with rod tip twitches to imply some action. 

 

The only thing that would bother me is if the combo caused the lure to spin on retrieve, like 360s while being reeled in. Not only not good for line twist, but no baitfish swims like a dervish. 

 

As I said above, erratic action on retrieve or drop is good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Snook_Slayr said:

@flyangler slay might be a little exaggeration haha, but I'm in the greater Tampa area, basically fishing most of SW FL

Opposite side of state. 

 

Like your avatard photo, going to use similar decal on new rod build I am working on. That rod will be nearly all-black except for some trim wraps. It will be a 10' BH Suzuki Special, my favorite summer beach snook rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, hobobob said:

Why am I not suprised. Purple agam.  >> :gay:

Come here Big Guy and give me a hug :naughty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

BTW, my photo is the new lure series from Nomad that is, simply, a soft body type of rattletrap. Used with a jigging style retrieve, pull up and then let sink back while staying tight to the lure. If you find the videos, you will see it wobble on the fall and that is when the majority of hits seem to take place. That photo was from Sunday, my first morning on the beach with it and that 10' Suzuki (factory version) is the perfect rod for it. Only issue was a lack of wind, waves and gin clear water meaning no snook. Water is still cold on the beach for snook but I wanted to get a feel for that lure, hoping a spanish or JC would grab it. . 

 

Goldie, that this lure shakes and vibrates on the upward motion and then sashays and wobbles on the fall, which speaks volumes to the advantage of action in the lure. Screw the haters. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by flyangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, flyangler said:

BTW, my photo is the new lure series from Nomad that is, simply, a soft body type of rattletrap. Used with a jigging style retrieve, pull up and then let sink back while staying tight to the lure. If you find the videos, you will see it wobble on the fall and that is when the majority of hits seem to take place. That photo was from Sunday, my first morning on the beach with it and that 10' Suzuki (factory version) is the perfect rod for it. Only issue was a lack of wind, waves and gin clear water meaning no snook. Water is still cold on the beach for snook but I wanted to get a feel for that lure, hoping a spanish or JC would grab it. . 

 

Goldie, that this lure shakes and vibrates on the upward motion and then sashays and wobbles on the fall, which speaks volumes to the advantage of action in the lure. Screw the haters. 

 

 

 

 

Somewhere in my storage is this yozuri. Must be 10 years or older.  Same same?

 

70-Vibe.jpg?20200714030855

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 mins ago, hobobob said:

Somewhere in my storage is this yozuri. Must be 10 years or older.  Same same?

 

70-Vibe.jpg?20200714030855

I would say that there are few new things in any sport, just modifications or tweaks of what came before.....

 

And if you want to sell me that one, I am a buyer. 

 

But that begs the question, why is it in storage? 

 

 

 

Edited by flyangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, flyangler said:

I would say that there are few new things in any sport, just modifications or tweaks of what came before.....

 

And if you want to sell me that one, I am a buyer. 

 

But that begs the question, why is it in storage? 

 

 

 

I have more stuff than the local tackle shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, hobobob said:

I have more stuff than the local tackle shop.

Some might call that an obsessive addiction, or delusions of being immortal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.