NLBN Shads and Jig Heads

Rate this topic

Goldy

On 12/5/2022 at 6:01 AM, Goldy said:

Eric. -  as you know from the nj thread I try not to throw Shad’s this fall to see how I could do without them.  With that said the best bang for your buck is hogy pro tail this fall   Specifically speaking only this fall peanut run we had.  Dry durable. 

@VanStaalSteve - I know I started this thread regarding other jig heads.   Have you tried this shad on a standard bullet head?  

01B119FD-9D77-4406-8A3B-C9754BBC4BC4.jpeg

074CAAFE-83CF-49CF-8327-DE1EB3451F13.jpeg

The problem with Hogy is that once the tail is ripped off you are left with a jighead that can’t be used again. It’s a huge waste. 

All I know for this year the 3/4oz jig and the 5” NLBN is my go to. I keep catching when no one else is. They are awesome. I heard guys say it’s just another rubber shad. I thought the same thing until I used them. I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see and experience it.
I heard a lot of guys in Fla used them for tarpon and snook.

Edited by Steve_M

I tested out the 3" today on a freshwater baitcaster for about 45min.

It cast great and the action was nice. Similar to other paddle tails in that size/style. 

I didn't do anything differently as far as a slow sink or such it sank pretty quickly. 

I used it with a 3/8oz. Head.

troll #122  <*)))<

59 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I tested out the 3" today on a freshwater baitcaster for about 45min.

It cast great and the action was nice. Similar to other paddle tails in that size/style. 

I didn't do anything differently as far as a slow sink or such it sank pretty quickly. 

I used it with a 3/8oz. Head.

I was thinking about these on the back of a swim jig, but thought they might be a little big? Whatcha think?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The video shows 2 new tails being split in 2 then glued back together and instantly stretched and they wouldn't come apart. 

The marketing got me....

I do like to use NLBNS however I disagree with their prices.

The only good thing about NLBN's is they use a "different" plastisol mixture than other swimbait model which is about the only thing that makes it slightly distinct. More durable like a ZMAN.

However what disturbs me the most about NLBN is how much product they give away to "brand ambassadors" to market their product and then yet charge the public 10 dollars for 2-3 baits.  I don't like company's that make a relatively cheap product (plastic swimbaits) and then upcharge over 200-300%+ because of "successful marketing". 

If you were to take a 5" NLBN and make a mold. You can make approximately 15 baits for the cost of one 3 pack. Now, NOT everyone has the means to make their own swimbaits but that does not discredit the fact that NLBN is truly ripping off the public because they have managed to create a effective social media marketing platform. 

Fish are known to barely even see color, they see shades. With that being said, the only effectiveness of NLBN would be the wide-body rolling nature of the swimbait. Everything else is can be negated in terms of creating a strike.

I bought some of these to try out next year but had a real hard time rigging the 8 inch bait without ripping it on the barb when spinning it onto the screw lock. Anyone have any advice?

I usually take the barbs off my hooks, trebles especially, but will sometimes leave them on single hooks on bigger baits. I was thinking of crushing the barb to help.