Scouting VA Beach

Rate this topic

BayouQ

Hey Folks,

I grew up on the Gulf Coast fishing in the marshes for reds, black drum, flounder, and specks. I moved to VA a few years ago and have not been able to do near enough fishing. I have done a couple of charters on the Chesapeake and tried some freshwater fishing. It's not scratching the itch. I decided I wanted to try surf fishing this year and discovered SOL in January. Over the winter I have been reading here and watching YouTube. 

In a couple of weeks, I am taking the kids to Busch Gardens and VA Beach for the weekend. I won't have time to fish but was hoping to scout out a few spots for later summer/fall trips. 

I am not asking anyone to "spot burn" but would appreciate any general directions/advice you could offer. Are there sections of beach that are specifically open or closed to fishing? Are there areas that are less crowded? Are there designated access points? 

Also, is there any etiquette or generally accepted practices for surf fishing at VA beach? For example - in the marsh, it is considered very rude to come within ~150 yards of another boat. I have seen YT videos of people at the OBX point where people are standing shoulder to shoulder but have read that that the point is an exception. I have also read that braid is frowned upon at the point but not necessarily so elsewhere. At VA beach to fisherman observe a certain amount of space?

Thanks in advance,

BayouQ

Edited by BayouQ

3 hours ago, BayouQ said:

Hey Folks,

I grew up on the Gulf Coast fishing in the marshes for reds, black drum, flounder, and specks. I moved to VA a few years ago and have not been able to do near enough fishing. I have done a couple of charters on the Chesapeake and tried some freshwater fishing. It's not scratching the itch. I decided I wanted to try surf fishing this year and discovered SOL in January. Over the winter I have been reading here and watching YouTube. 

In a couple of weeks, I am taking the kids to Busch Gardens and VA Beach for the weekend. I won't have time to fish but was hoping to scout out a few spots for later summer/fall trips. 

I am not asking anyone to "spot burn" but would appreciate any general directions/advice you could offer. Are there sections of beach that are specifically open or closed to fishing? Are there areas that are less crowded? Are there designated access points? 

Also, is there any etiquette or generally accepted practices for surf fishing at VA beach? For example - in the marsh, it is considered very rude to come within ~150 yards of another boat. I have seen YT videos of people at the OBX point where people are standing shoulder to shoulder but have read that that the point is an exception. I have also read that braid is frowned upon at the point but not necessarily so elsewhere. At VA beach to fisherman observe a certain amount of space?

Thanks in advance,

BayouQ

Sand Bridge and Back Bay at the end of Virginia are a great place.  No OSV, so you'll need to pack your gear in and out.  Maybe 45 minutes or so from VA Beach proper, but very nice.  

5 mins ago, BayouQ said:

Thank you very much. Pardon my ignorance, but I assume "OSV" = On Sand Vehicles? or is it Oversized Striper Validation? Off-Shore Vegans?

Over Sand Vehicle, it's the term used by the Park Service on Assateague.  They are allowed on Back Bay but only for the folks that live in a place that is only accessible from the beach, like in Duck, NC.  Supposedly, when those folks pass on, there will be no OSV allowed down there.  Last year there was a nice setup with an outer bar and slough running as far as I could see.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:14 PM, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Sand Bridge and Back Bay at the end of Virginia are a great place.  No OSV, so you'll need to pack your gear in and out.  Maybe 45 minutes or so from VA Beach proper, but very nice.  

Bought some property in Sandbridge end of last year.  Hope the fishing is good as what I've been reading.  Going down for a visit in a couple weeks.

-

On 4/2/2022 at 2:55 AM, 757saltwater said:

Nice to finally see some people from my neck of the woods. I am in Chesapeake  .if you have any questions  hit me up.  Back bay is full of drum.

I thought the Back Bay was freshwater?  Seen video's of large mouth bass taken out of there.  Not very deep either.

-

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 2:55 AM, 757saltwater said:

Nice to finally see some people from my neck of the woods. I am in Chesapeake  .if you have any questions  hit me up.  Back bay is full of drum.

I thought the Back Bay was freshwater?  Seen video's of large mouth bass taken out of there.  Not very deep either.

Talked to some locals.  Said the Bay is brackish and anywhere from 5-6ft deep at it's deepest.

Didn't get to do any fishing.  :(  Spent the whole week back and forth to HD and fixing things.  :laugh:  Almost a steady 15-20 mph wind too.  Maybe next month when we're down.

-