Digga90

Diamond jig tube alternatives?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, Inception said:

A trick I learned from Bill Wetzel is to attach the tsunami holographic sandeel to the ava jig. You turn a ****** casting lure into a better casting one. These are the sandeels where the eye is in front of the face and not the top of the head.

This is interesting. Is the sandeel attached with a split ring or rigged some other way?

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, GoldenAnchor said:

This is interesting. Is the sandeel attached with a split ring or rigged some other way?

Just a split ring would be enough. However, you can use the ava jigs that have a barrel swivel attached to one end which would be better since it would prevent the fishing from gaining leverage on you. 

Edited by Inception

I was just looking at those tsunami sandeels. They seem like they would be effective but they also seemed too light for my use. But that idea would bring them back in play. Wetzel is a sharp guy.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, Inception said:

A trick I learned from Bill Wetzel is to attach the tsunami holographic sandeel to the ava jig. You turn a ****** casting lure into a better casting one. These are the sandeels where the eye is in front of the face and not the top of the head.

This is worth trying. 

On 3/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, plugger said:

Is there a trick to cutting the end of the tube, I never get to look exactly like the store bought?

Use scissors to cut the angle.

10 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I bought that needle tip cap to try it.  

Whats the worst that can happen....:shrug:

Probably just squirt some in each end of the tube.  That stuff has the consistency of axle grease.

5 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Probably just squirt some in each end of the tube.  That stuff has the consistency of axle grease.

I also wanted to try to fill a shad belly with it. 

But I hate the bottles they come in. Once I get half of it out I can't squeeze anymore out (really weak hands)  so I end up thining it out and mixing it with my bait for minnow traps.  

I may try to find something with a toothpaste style tube. 

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I also wanted to try to fill a shad belly with it. 

But I hate the bottles they come in. Once I get half of it out I can't squeeze anymore out (really weak hands)  so I end up thining it out and mixing it with my bait for minnow traps.  

I may try to find something with a toothpaste style tube. 

I have the little squeeze bottle where the top pops up.  What do you use to thin it?

I usually just run it along the sides of soft plastics when I use it.  Stays on for multiple casts.