Digga90

Diamond jig tube alternatives?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Going thru tackle and have a bunch of rusty hooks, so before replacing and getting new tubing, does anyone have alternatives they like to use on the back? 

I've had some luck with just a dressed hook, kinda like the action more

Dressed Siwash works for me. 5/0 or 6/0 on 17’s and 27’s. The wider gap hooks fish better in the jaw IMO. Down side is they tend to drag in the sand at times.

2 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Dressed Siwash works for me. 5/0 or 6/0 on 17’s and 27’s. The wider gap hooks fish better in the jaw IMO. Down side is they tend to drag in the sand at times.

This is why i love the tubes....not only do they catch, they don't get caught and hung up in the sand.  And i fish flat sandy beaches.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fished the long plastic worms on a hi lo teaser hook with some success while fluking from the beech … I was just going thru bait bags and I came accross a bag with two worms in it this pm … they work on a fluke ball … probably work on a shallow running tin ….

Edited by Surf bomber

When sandeels are present I often use the same sandeel teaser I use as dropper. Either a red gill, surf candy or Mikelson fly works well. The offset hooks that come with AVA type lures don’t last long and need constant resharpening. IMHO

A trick I learned from Bill Wetzel is to attach the tsunami holographic sandeel to the ava jig. You turn a ****** casting lure into a better casting one. These are the sandeels where the eye is in front of the face and not the top of the head.

I found my hook up ratio to dramatically increase when the hook was replaced with a offset Octopus hook via a split ring, no rubber as all.

For me, the spinning action of the bent hook, tube and swivel is really what makes this tin shine. Sure you could put a dressed siwash on it but you will change it's action. I would rather use a CG j-7/8, point jude, hopkins, dd, etc. that has better action with a siwash.

The surgical tube on the bent shank or limerick style hook is a proven setup in the surf since at least the 1970’s. Absolutely deadly on ava jigs and on many other style tins as well. I would always want a few of these in my arsenal. I wouldn’t be too quick dismiss them. I found cutting my own though tricky, was the ticket. Thinner and longer made for outstanding results over the years. 

46 mins ago, redfin said:

The surgical tube on the bent shank or limerick style hook is a proven setup in the surf since at least the 1970’s. Absolutely deadly on ava jigs and on many other style tins as well. I would always want a few of these in my arsenal. I wouldn’t be too quick dismiss them. I found cutting my own though tricky, was the ticket. Thinner and longer made for outstanding results over the years. 

You're right.  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

2 hours ago, redfin said:

Thinner and longer hook or rubber?

38 mins ago, Digga90 said:

Thinner and longer hook or rubber?

Rubber. For example, the 1.25oz hopkins no equal I use have 4/0 an 5/0 Limerick hooks with the very thin tubing cut at a length that is almost twice the length of the hopkins itself. It's cut in the exact traditional way just longer so more is hanging past the bend in the hook. I haven't bought tubing in years. I think my go to is 1/8" OD. Super skinny stuff. It improves casting and action and always was very effective on fish.  Deep dark red was my number one color for more years than I can remember. Translucent amber was my solid #2. To some degree green yellow and white had their moments too but the other two color were king.