gray gables

Paint sprayer ?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Looking at buying one to use around my house, doors, trim etc. Anyone on have experience using one? I know Graco and Titan are ones to look at also. Reason behind this is all the doors in my house need to be repainted. Just the upstairs alone I have 10 slabs to paint, two coats both sides. No fn way I’m painting those by hand either. Just looking for advice on these. My painter usually does my spraying but he’s jammed with work for a while. Would like to get these done before we have Easter at my house this year. 

4 mins ago, gray gables said:

Looking at buying one to use around my house, doors, trim etc. Anyone on have experience using one? I know Graco and Titan are ones to look at also. Reason behind this is all the doors in my house need to be repainted. Just the upstairs alone I have 10 slabs to paint, two coats both sides. No fn way I’m painting those by hand either. Just looking for advice on these. My painter usually does my spraying but he’s jammed with work for a while. Would like to get these done before we have Easter at my house this year. 

roler and brush for 10 dors,do roler first,do detail with brush it is fast.

8 mins ago, snag777 said:

No thanks, leaves orange peel. My doors were originally sprayed back in 02. My painters spray work comes out like glass, he’s that good. All Sherman Williams paint also. Pro mar 400 flat white on the ceilings, cashmere semi-gloss on the trim duration on the walls, 2 coats on everything. 

I did my raised paneled doors with a HVLP spayer... dont remember the brand but it was like 200 bucks. I already had compressor. excellent job

Orange peel is a paint condition also associated with spraying. I have a HVLP sprayer that blows. Worst 150 I ever spent. You have to thin the paint to the viscosity of skim milk to get it to work. Maybe I should have bought an industrial model. So my next to worthless advise is to buy what your painter has. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gray gables said:
1 hour ago, snag777 said:

No thanks, leaves orange peel.

It leaves orange peel because you are using chip roller and no so good paint.

I did several kitchen, repainting cabinet doors and paint come out with a glassy finish.

Use a small roller, 1/4 microfiber and  a slow drying paint; 6 hrs instead of 20 minutes and you will see difference in the finish.

Edited by Popasilov

6 mins ago, Popasilov said:

It leaves orange peel because you are using chip roller and no so good paint.

I did several kitchen, repainting cabinet doors and paint come out with a glassy finish.

Use a small roller, 1/4 microfiber and  a slow drying paint; 6 hrs instead of 20 minutes and you will see difference in the finish.

What kind of paint did you use? 

We bought the Wagner FLEXiO 2500 Plus Paint Sprayer off the QVC ad and it has been great on my jobs. (garage interior sprayed white, +400 balusters, deck, basement walls.) It is a little heavier as you carry the paint cup with you. I was surprised to negative reviews on it, but I think spraying paint is not a job for the masses.... as was presented in the video on QVC. But you are in the trades so not worried about you.

I also have an HVLP sprayer from Rockler you can have for $60. 

2 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Benjamin Moore Advance

Amazing stuff, flattens great, but has a learning curve. As does spraying, especially on a vertical surface. The window between thin enough for good coat and too thin which will run is pretty narrow. It's the kind of thing that if you did it every day you'd have it dialed, but harder to do once a year.

I have both a HF HVLP cup gun and the HF HVLP gun with a blower that is discontinued. Seems like the replacement is this below. But for the $5 difference I'd get the Wagner.

64933_W1_1.jpg

Lent my Campbell Hausfeld HVLP to an ex boss who promptly loaded the intake filter up with paint and cooked the motor,  this after telling him to be careful. I found a Eureka cannister vac to use as my blower unit and adapted some plumbing fittings to reuse and attach the 5/8 id blower hose. Better performance than the original unit. Thin accordingly with conditioner and filter, I use cut up pantyhose pieces, set the flow control and blow. I've also painted 100s of raised panels with a 3''cut and slim jim roller, maybe 3 mins a side give or take. I made rings from flashing  that fit snuggly over knobs, blue tape the hinges

1 hour ago, richie c said:

I found a Eureka cannister vac to use as my blower unit and adapted some plumbing fittings to reuse and attach the 5/8 id blower hose.

I would love to see this one.

Can you post a picture, when you have time, please?

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I would love to see this one.

Can you post a picture, when you have time, please?

Will do