Bluefishmaster

Project "Blackfish Special"

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I am trying to build a good/useable condition Penn Surfmaster 250 with Jigmaster 501 or jigmaster parts for Project "Blackfish Special". This is going to be my poor man's Jigmaster/Surfmaster for Blackfish. 

Have anyone here ever built one? I don't own any jigmaster 501 and surfmaster 250. I read elsewhere a few anglers have done it. I am not mechanical inclined or good with painting so don't expect to see a master piece :help:but I want to make my 1st Franken reel out of Penn parts. I posted a wtb in the BST looking for these reels. :bucktooth:

I finally found and bought a jigmaster 501. That reel is expensive! :shock: I am still looking for a Surfmaster 250. I am waiting for new ht100 drags and washers to arrive. The local tackleshop has closed forever. :dismay:

Handi2, I got the ideas from there.:D I know how now. Thanks for your reply. I am still looking for a Penn Surfmaster 250 and other parts. Blackfish season just opened in NJ. :heart::bucktooth:

Hi. I went back to Alantani and posted there. Here is a compressed summary. Enjoy!:bucktooth:

I bought an ugly Surfmaster 250 that needs many parts. I added new drags and a new dog. I have been looking for 501 or parts to assemble the skeleton to attach the 250. A great guy Swami805 gave me the 180 parts that would work and fit without a 501 spool. It took me a few months to finally find a parts reel to get a spool. 

The Surfmaster 250 uses the same 29L-500 or 29L-501 spool on the Jigmaster 500 or 501. I was going to use a Jigmaster 501 frame, 501/506 posts, and a 29L-501 spool to make a Surfmaster 250N. The left or tail ring has a crack on where it goes with the frame post so I replaced it with one from a jigmaster. My 250 has a 13-99 pinion(still good), steel 5-60 main gear, 11-99 eccentric jack, and 13-99 pinion yoke. Some of these original parts are not on the schematic I downloaded. :)

I got the idea from a few Alantani members who all use a Tiburon frame on their 250. I love how Keta, Bryan Y, and Shark hunter, and Mo65 did theirs but I am going to try.:theman: :clap:

I added 4 ht100 drags, a 24-66 green handle, but want to add SS gear sleeve(can't find), and double dogs. :drool:

I have been too busy fighting to survive this Covid-19 and cleaning the 501 spool. So here's my Blackfish Special  :naughty: that I am going to use for other fish until the blackfish season opens again.  :love::lg_smile:

IMG_20220519_201606.jpg

IMG_20220519_201449.jpg

IMG_20220519_201410.jpg

IMG_20220519_201137.jpg

IMG_20220415_055006.jpg

IMG_20220417_051939.jpg

IMG_20220415_055020.jpg

IMG_20220417_083052.jpg

The original Penn Surfmaster 250 for my Project "Blackfish Special". This is my poor man's Jigmaster/Surfmaster for Blackfish and other fish by using all penn parts. I would love to add better parts but money has been super tight as you all are aware of with the rising gas prices, food, and everything else we need to survive. 

IMG_20220412_214140.jpg

IMG_20220412_214035.jpg

Thanks. I am now going to add solid spacers and a reel seat with holes for mounting to a rod. I took this reel out for chunking and hooked a big bluefish that pulled hard. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Old Penn reels that look like that, is just a testament of how bulletproof those old reels are!

I’ve caught some old Penn reels, brought them right home and rinsed them out and then into a vinegar bath and they come out almost looking like new sometimes!

I was still using a penn battle 5000 that I caught that literally came up in a jumbo full of mono rigs, sea snot and I couldn’t tell you how many crabs, muscles and everything else we’re living on that reel! 
I used that reel for five years and just gave it to my buddy up the street to beat on.

That will be the test LMAO, if he can’t kill it nobody can!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler