Parabolic rods

Rate this topic

Which ever rod that’s rated for at least 8-12 oz and you can compress it will work … how far do you want throw 8 oz?… to actually bend it it in to a parabolic curve you may be lookin at a 30-70 split type rod … tsunami may have rods that are 30-70 split …. Or a soft rod like an ugly stick … penn , century, zipplex ,okuma , diawa may be a little tough to get that parabolic curve … but yesterday I threw 8 oz ,90 -100 yds measured with a 10 year old diawa 11 ft surf rod , rated 8-10 oz…I couldn’t tell you if if I bent it in a parabolic curve but it bent from the top 1/3 using a modified hatteras cast.. lol lol lol 

ZA,

Not looking to criticize in any way but the picture you posted is deceptive when trying to make a judgement on how parabolic a rod bend is.  Because of the camera angle relative to the rod motion, the rod bend becomes distorted and now is exaggerated. To make a better judgement a simple overhead cast taken from the side would provide a better comparison.

I can post couple of pics as an example.

Charlie

4 mins ago, cjmarti3 said:

ZA,

Not looking to criticize in any way but the picture you posted is deceptive when trying to make a judgement on how parabolic a rod bend is.  Because of the camera angle relative to the rod motion, the rod bend becomes distorted and now is exaggerated. To make a better judgement a simple overhead cast taken from the side would provide a better comparison.

Charlie

Like this? Century Stealth S3 1326 - not as heavy as the OP is seeking however. 

F415CFC8-6463-480C-9F15-D0A7C0ED9ACD.png.41e6c44e35c3cff5191b728d81234007.png

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

1 hour ago, cjmarti3 said:

ZA,

Charlie

Charlie,

Nope. Its bent in a C. I understand what you mean, but I bend it.

it's a STIFF C curve, but its a C curve, not a J

I've cast heavier and stiffer C curve rods, was just making a point about bending a rod.

How does a OH cast allow you to make a better judgement? Cause it;s what many (most?) folks do? No, that doesn't sit well with me; its a technique that loads a rod poorly and starts to unload too early. Cmon

Flyanglers rod is a case in point; I can cast my rod off the tip  and it will perform OK.. load up the butt and the payload will fly

Edited by ZAFisher

11 hours ago, fishhawkxxx said:

A little too light I would think

A spod / spom rod (carp rod for throwing large quantities of bait out)  would normally be rated at 5lb T.C and would be ok for 8oz maybe 10oz total... add a big bait and I'm not sure.

I'm thinking for 8oz +bait you uare in Century Surf Machine territory

Edited by ZAFisher