curran

Fishing Literature

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I've been reading some great fishing book recently, The Perfect Storm and The Call of the Surf.

I recommend both books, but does anyone have any other great reads that deal with Fishing?

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, curran said:

I've been reading some great fishing book recently, The Perfect Storm and The Call of the Surf.

I recommend both books, but does anyone have any other great reads that deal with Fishing?

Thanks.

On the Run.  Billy the Greek's "Night Tides."  Any of Fraink Daignault's books would probably fit for what you appear to be looking for.  

...which I'm interpreting as more story/adventure "literature" vs. "How To" which you would get with DJ Muller, Zeno, Skinner.

Ask me about a title and I can probably tell you something.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 12.13.10 PM.png

Edited by MaxKatt

The Perfect Storm book made the movie a clown show it was so poorly done, rant over. I enjoyed "The Sea's Bitter Harvest".

Library ordered it for me.

Edited by squidder 329

this is an older child level reading book but I always loved it, such a quick read too you can bang it out in an hour or so it's like 100 pages

51bbjzB2wuL.jpg

Edited by Abe Froman

The Shining Tides by Win Brooks, The Old Man and the Boy, The Old Man and the Boy Grows Older, all novels, all great reads.

For fishing info, I prefer Frank Daignaults writing style, knowledge and experiences, Striper Surf may have been his best, some liked Twenty Years on the Cape. Others like Karas, Rosko, Woolner, Lyman, Boyd, Jansen, Evanoff, etc. were all good writers but for todays tactics and gear, Zeno Hromin is your go to, well written and informative. The best tactical book I have read is by Lou Taboury, Stripers on a Fly, from that you'll learn about current, structure and stripers habits.

6 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

On the Run.  Billy the Greek's "Night Tides."  Any of Fraink Daignault's books would probably fit for what you appear to be looking for.  

...which I'm interpreting as more story/adventure "literature" vs. "How To" which you would get with DJ Muller, Zeno, Skinner.

Ask me about a title and I can probably tell you something.

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 12.13.10 PM.png

I have a couple of those on the bottom right, is that from the North American fishing club or the hunting and fishing library?

15 hours ago, RL Bucktails said:

I have a couple of those on the bottom right, is that from the North American fishing club or the hunting and fishing library?

I think so.  I would have to check.  They are some of the first I ever got some 40+ years ago as a kid.  Just recently I added a few more titles I picked up on BST here.  

In addition to BST, I've been getting books on ebay after seeing them or their authors mentioned in other books I already have.  Very interesting to follow the network of connection and learning over the decades.  

21 hours ago, Abe Froman said:

this is an older child level reading book but I always loved it, such a quick read too you can bang it out in an hour or so it's like 100 pages

51bbjzB2wuL.jpg

I have a soft spot for this book, I remember being in 3rd grade.  And despising reading at any cost, this is the only book I actually ever enjoyed reading on my own.  I think I read it 2-3 times that year. Time for a re-read!

Edited by t_man7

I’m surprised that no one mentioned “Casting Into The Light” by Janet Massiineo and “Striper” by John Cole. Both are good reads. “Striper “ deals with the previous crash of Striper stocks. It also gives an interesting description of beach haul seining. I reread this every few years.

17 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

The best tactical book I have read is by Lou Taboury, Stripers on a Fly, from that you'll learn about current, structure and stripers habits.

Agreed. Don't be fooled by the "fly" in the title, there's more good information about current, structure and how fish feed in that book than anything I've ever read.

23 hours ago, curran said:

Thanks.

Your post is timely for me. I was just looking for an audiobook to download for my 7 hour drive to Virginia tomorrow. I never read The Perfect Storm, but I think it will make a good "listen".  

1 hour ago, tristate said:

I’m surprised that no one mentioned “Casting Into The Light” by Janet Massiineo and “Striper” by John Cole. Both are good reads. “Striper “ deals with the previous crash of Striper stocks. It also gives an interesting description of beach haul seining. I reread this every few years.

There are a few striper books I just couldn't endure and found them to be lacking in learning techniques, being entertained by the authors writing skills and the overall content.

A few that come to mind are Janet Messineos book, one of a few that I had trouble staying interested in, and Reading the Water by Robert Post (I think),it became a best seller and I sold my 1st edition copy for $125, I would have burned it for heat if needed. Striper by John Cole was a reminder to all of us to cherish this fish before it disappears from over fishing and mans abuse of the waters and environment they live in, again I struggled with boredom.

Billy The Greeks book , On the Run, I still scratch my head at the numbers and size he claims, he may have caught a lot of fish and I know folks that know him and know he was/is? a capable angler but if you do some of the math, this guy was averaging 50 lbers. like they were schoolies or even killies. For me, it was written by someone with a big ego and wants everyone to know how much better of a striper angler he is than almost anyone else. 

Most of the newer books have been useless and not even entertaining, I've found Zeno Hromins books to be the exception, well written, informative and worth the coin to buy. 

I know Daignault's fan club has some shortages because mostly of his dog biting experience, without judging him on that, he is the best writer about striped bass surf fishing that I've read, again Lou Taboury's Striper On The Fly is the best tactical book, but Daignault always kept me entertained.