gregory m

Striped bass hackensack river

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I work right next to the river and at spot that I fish on occasion when I get out of work early. I used to get snagged non stop with anything I threw so now I just throw sub surface and poppers caught a few dinks over the years but nothing to brag about. Its just nice to have a completely private spot to eat lunch at and fish in peace. 

11 mins ago, MaCe1 said:

I'm doing a guided trip for stripers on the Hackensack next month. 

The guide has a police scanner 

2 hours ago, Wicked Dan said:

I did very well a couple of weeks ago. before this cold snap...haven't been there since the 18th.....great numbers and a few real good ones.

RIMG1473.JPG

Nice! Without talking spots, can you say how you were fishing there, the flats or the channel, and what you used? I live minutes away but never was able to connect with anything decent the 4 or 5 times I launched the kayak there. 

5 hours ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

Thats because there isn't much in there worthwhile 

Is that why you downvoted me for asking how to catch fish that aren't there? Why is "how" a dirty word anyway?  It's funny, one of the 1st threads I ever started here was on this same body of water and ended in a sh*tshow of 'those are MY fish' dickwagging.

13 mins ago, gellfex said:

Is that why you downvoted me for asking how to catch fish that aren't there? Why is "how" a dirty word anyway?  It's funny, one of the 1st threads I ever started here was on this same body of water and ended in a sh*tshow of 'those are MY fish' dickwagging.

No I downvoted you for asking this guy to describe where and how he caught it publicly online. And it probably ended that way for a reason. Spots get overcrowded, shut down, and fisheries get ruined from stuff like that. 

Just now, SurfCaster01289 said:

No I downvoted you for asking this guy to describe where and how he caught it publicly online. And it probably ended that way for a reason. Spots get overcrowded, shut down, and fisheries get ruined from stuff like that. 

I specifically did NOT ask where. Asking about depth is not asking for a spot. How to catch fish is what this site is about. And spots for kayak fishing very rarely get overcrowded. We're talking about a river that runs for 10 miles as the crow flies from Newark Bay to the Oradell dam, with loops and flats all along it.

On 3/18/2022 at 11:48 PM, EricDice said:

They don’t spend their entire lives in any single river or bay.

And don’t smoke a J, a stogy, drink a beer, sip the booze snifter, and “go down to fishy town” with a hundred hoes in your 20s then blame the one Hacky fish for cancer. Nonsense poopypants 

Fish purge water. When I was younger and I used to catfish, we would put them in the bathtub and fill it up with water. The water would turn brown, we would drain and repeat. Do it 3 or 4 times and you’re left with beautiful clean water, then the fish is ready to eat. Same thing goes with bass

1 hour ago, HighEndHooker said:

Fish purge water. When I was younger and I used to catfish, we would put them in the bathtub and fill it up with water. The water would turn brown, we would drain and repeat. Do it 3 or 4 times and you’re left with beautiful clean water, then the fish is ready to eat. Same thing goes with bass

You're eating fish out of the Hacky?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, fishless said:

You're eating fish out of the Hacky?

No, but when they move out to the ocean, they purge that North Jersey river water and I eat them then. I should have explained better, I used to catch catfish in lakes and other rivers, and I was just explaining the process of purging.

Edited by HighEndHooker

6 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

No, but when they move out to the ocean, they purge that North Jersey river water and I eat them then.

Just a heads-up.  You might want to reconsider that whole purge theory.  Many (not all) toxins accumulate in fatty tissue - water won't purge those.  Bacteria - yes, PCBs - no