gregory m

Striped bass hackensack river

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Ok, so I plan on going to the hackensack river to catch some striped bass this weekend, but I do not know when is the best time to catch them. I know that 3 hours before high tide is better, but that hasnt worked much in the past for me. I actually have never really had luck on the river yet. I want to go on saturday but it appears there will be a little bit of a storm. Does tide have much of an effect before or after the storm? Should I wait until sunday? 

Always remember, fish don’t mind getting wet! Fish when you can. Sometimes you will catch at low tide sometimes at high tide. But you have to be on the water to get em. If we stopped because we didn’t catch we would never catch! 

1 hour ago, gregory m said:

Ok, so I plan on going to the hackensack river to catch some striped bass this weekend, but I do not know when is the best time to catch them. I know that 3 hours before high tide is better, but that hasnt worked much in the past for me. I actually have never really had luck on the river yet. I want to go on saturday but it appears there will be a little bit of a storm. Does tide have much of an effect before or after the storm? Should I wait until sunday? 

The X amount of time before/after a certain tide is nonsense.  Always has been, its BS that tackleshops say to give you some kind of info.   Different spots produce very, very differently depending on the tide.  Look for moving water and structure.

Tide don't matter. Moon don't matter either. None of the buzz aldrin bs. If you're fishing every day like you should be you'll fish every tide and moon cycle anyway

my old stomping grounds.  used to live in the Meadowlands and fished it a ton.  they care little about weather and none moon phase up there for some reason.  I used to crush on full moons.  different spots produce at different tides.  I had spots that I could only access at slack low.  river should be pretty active right now.  small soft plastics or small minnow plugs.  good luck!

7 hours ago, gellfex said:

And if someone catches that fish when it comes down to Perth Amboy or Montauk, they're thrilled to eat it never knowing it swam the Hacky. Thems be migratory.

exactly I've caught plenty of bass up there with sandy hook litoral society tags in them.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:42 PM, gellfex said:

And if someone catches that fish when it comes down to Perth Amboy or Montauk, they're thrilled to eat it never knowing it swam the Hacky. Thems be migratory.

They don’t spend their entire lives in any single river or bay.

And don’t smoke a J, a stogy, drink a beer, sip the booze snifter, and “go down to fishy town” with a hundred hoes in your 20s then blame the one Hacky fish for cancer. Nonsense poopypants