FishingEveryday

Jig head question

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

What’s the difference between Zman redfish eye (or trout eye) and Gamakatsu round jig heads? Assuming they have the same weight and hook size. 

Differences I can see,

1.  Jig eye placement

2.  Barb style for holding plastic baits

3.  Eye on jig head (obviously)

Jigheads.JPG

15 mins ago, FishingEveryday said:

How do they perform differently? Do they give different action on the same soft plastic?

Yes.

The gammy 90 degree ball head will be more unstable and tend to kick out from center vs the 30 degree head on the Zman when using a straight tailed trailer. Also, the Zman is a flat, modified pill head vs the round ball head on the gammy.

Round heads = more surface area = more erratic left/right off-center action when jigged aggressively. 

Posted (edited)

The gama one will not hold a zman plastic without superglue and would be more prone to pick up stray grass or other flotsam during the retrieve if casting as well. 

Edited by Fishjerk

Is the Zman jighead the best you've used for stripers? Is there another jig head you would recommend? 

I have come to like the 90 degree line placement for getting better action, especially if you are letting the jighead drop (i.e. not constantly retrieving). With a circle/loop knot and the 90 degree offset, the jig gains a lot more freedom of movement to be able to point down as if swimming deeper.

Don’t buy the hype. It’s lead on a hook. Lead sinks a hook with very little difference in lure action. It’s how does the rubber effects it that matters the most. 

Posted (edited)

bullet-style or the savage gear sandeel jigheads are my go to, brand doesn't seem to make a difference with bass, kalins and s&s are my go to when it comes to bullet style

Edited by mustinjille

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

Don’t buy the hype. It’s lead on a hook. Lead sinks a hook with very little difference in lure action. It’s how does the rubber effects it that matters the most. 

LOL the champion of mediocrity has spoken. Everything is hype to you; details never matter in fishing. 

You guys must be a hit at the bait shop water cooler. Problem is, you are the only ones who like hearing yourself speak. I believe physics over bait shop banter. Has the new Huk clothing hit the shelves yet? 

Over the years saw so many times where little things made the difference, color, presentation, rod action and confidence.

44 mins ago, poopdeck said:

Problem is, you are the only ones who like hearing yourself speak.

It's the other way around - in thread after thread where people talk about tackle you chime in with your "everything is hype" drivel. 

Some of us take this hobby a little more seriously than you do.