stifftip

Trout w lures

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Any suggestions? 

Inline spinners?

Absolutely, the spinner usually out fish spoons by a wide margin for stocked trout.

But it's wader fishing w/ the smallest spinners you can find.   A good alternative is a small Roostertail from shore.

I also wish I had a countdown Rapala for larger & more active feeders.

Edited by bb1
spelling

On 3/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, ged said:

There are some fish there that feed on hatchery trout. I would be throwing a large swim bait. Occasionally we take the boat there. Deep, clear cool lake with huge holdover potential and large black bass. 

True.  On the flip side, I caught a 19" class brownie in the little back pond while hunting LMB's last Spring.  It probably swam through the little feeder stream connection.

Got a call from a good buddy a few minutes ago.  He and his son hit rivers from Holden, Barre, Ware, Sturbridge and Hardwick.  According to Ma FW, all these rivers had had a stocking. They never had a hit.

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Got a call from a good buddy a few minutes ago.  He and his son hit rivers from Holden, Barre, Ware, Sturbridge and Hardwick.  According to Ma FW, all these rivers had had a stocking. They never had a hit.

I for one saw the Ware River get stocked in two separate places, Church St. Bridge and Old Belchertown Rd. maybe it's not the lack of fish....................

1 min ago, b-ware said:

I for one saw the Ware River get stocked in two separate places, Church St. Bridge and Old Belchertown Rd. maybe it's not the lack of fish....................

Bernie,

He wasn't implying they weren't stocked. They just weren't feeding.  He must have been in your neck of the woods because he called me from the covered bridge.  He also said they never saw another fisherman.

Rooster Tails have always been a go to lure for many, as far as spoons go try placing electrical tape over the shiny side you might be pleasantly surprised..........

Some new "old stock" trout  lures from Cape Cod Charlies when he began to sell out......

DSC_0590.JPG

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Rooster Tails have always been a go to lure for many, as far as spoons go try placing electrical tape over the shiny side you might be pleasantly surprised..........

Some new "old stock" trout  lures from Cape Cod Charlies when he began to sell out......

DSC_0590.JPG

Hmmm, you mean plain ol black electric tape?

39 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yup, peel it off to make them shiny again.........

I’ve found that the stockie browns prefer larger gold lures and the bows hit smaller black/silver lures. 

7081F3E9-6411-46AE-A045-CD33B12263CC.jpeg

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

It looks like mostly just ponds have been stocked so far. Even in my area of southeast MA no rivers have been stocked yet. 

8C7F2C26-3E3E-4FE1-99C3-D0603D6B3E4E.png

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

First time I heard of black tape on a shiny lure was on a episode of ‘the Americans sportsman’ 1966ish   It was a fishing contest on a pristine un fished lake in the mountains of Chile or somewhere. 6 fisherman using different but the same lures and equipment  catching huge trout  . One dark overcast day a fisherman put a piece of black tape on a bright spoon and had a incredible day . Did the tape make the difference?  

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

First time I heard of black tape on a shiny lure was on a episode of ‘the Americans sportsman’ 1966ish   It was a fishing contest on a pristine un fished lake in the mountains of Chile or somewhere. 6 fisherman using different but the same lures and equipment  catching huge trout  . One dark overcast day a fisherman put a piece of black tape on a bright spoon and had a incredible day . Did the tape make the difference?  

I don't have any black electric tape.  So will clear Scotch tape work?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

And you wonder why you are not catching anything. Have you been using the jitterbug I gave you for trout? Put some scotch  tape on it 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Maybe you should duct tape your finger together and stop writing foolishness..................................