stifftip

Trout w lures

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

I fish with a bouncing rod 80%, green tube diamond jigs for stripers,wacky senko for lmb, and any skinny small plastic on jig for trout/anything else.  Reaction bites I think. I work the rod like a pencil popper on CCC but super low and to the side mainly, when I feel resistance I kinda judge whether to feed it or set immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emptied out my trout bag.  Here are some of my deadly trout lures and flies.  I guess you can accumulate a lot of stuff all tried and true.

lures 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Jighead75 said:

I emptied out my trout bag.  Here are some of my deadly trout lures and flies.  I guess you can accumulate a lot of stuff all tried and true.

lures 1.jpg

Nice looking stuff.

 

Last year I was forced to resupply all my trout lures, inc some I had for 20 years.  Someone liberated them from the back of my car. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bob_G said:

Nice looking stuff.

 

Last year I was forced to resupply all my trout lures, inc some I had for 20 years.  Someone liberated them from the back of my car. :mad:

Unlocked car or full smash and grab? Either way that sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Unlocked car or full smash and grab? Either way that sucks.

No, at the dealership.  I traded in my wife's car for a new one. They removed the old plates, and put them on the new car and drove the car around to prepare it for resale, since the trade in was only a year old. 

That's when I remembered the lures. Car was out of my sight for 10 minutes, lures gone. :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2022 at 8:02 PM, bob_G said:

No, at the dealership. 

I lost a very expensive pair of binoculars from under the front seat from the (Ford) dealership this way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2022 at 6:43 PM, bob_G said:

Nice looking stuff.

 

Last year I was forced to resupply all my trout lures, inc some I had for 20 years.  Someone liberated them from the back of my car. :mad:

Shoulda bought a fly rod..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sauerkraut     Funny I’ve been thinking about you . Hope all is well. Me, I’m slowly feeling better, but it’s not ez for me. I try to keep moving on .but I hope you have been out trout fishing for me has been great or nothing .lures and visiting different ponds chasing the hatchery truck .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stifftip said:

Sauerkraut     Funny I’ve been thinking about you . Hope all is well. Me, I’m slowly feeling better, but it’s not ez for me. I try to keep moving on .but I hope you have been out trout fishing for me has been great or nothing .lures and visiting different ponds chasing the hatchery truck .

Hi Dave.  And a healthy, happy(ier) 2022 year to you and us.  I was called over the Bridge to work Plymouth this AM.  Perfect excuse to bail on the Mrs. and "Honey do" chores, and sneak in some trouting.  The Hatchery truck was there. I was mildly entertained by the on-site peanut gallery there assembled.  Notice the pic of one of the Bank M's already on the cell phone to broadcast the event.  

IMO:  Human nature and a reminder of the canal in miniature.  I never made a cast.  

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sauerkraut said:

Hi Dave.  And a healthy, happy(ier) 2022 year to you and us.  I was called over the Bridge to work Plymouth this AM.  Perfect excuse to bail on the Mrs. and "Honey do" chores, and sneak in some trouting.  The Hatchery truck was there. I was mildly entertained by the on-site peanut gallery there assembled.  Notice the pic of one of the Bank M's already on the cell phone to broadcast the event.  

IMO:  Human nature and a reminder of the canal in miniature.  I never made a cast.  

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

The guy on the phone is calling stifftip to hurry up and get there with the canned corn and throw net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sauerkraut said:

Hi Dave.  And a healthy, happy(ier) 2022 year to you and us.  I was called over the Bridge to work Plymouth this AM.  Perfect excuse to bail on the Mrs. and "Honey do" chores, and sneak in some trouting.  The Hatchery truck was there. I was mildly entertained by the on-site peanut gallery there assembled.  Notice the pic of one of the Bank M's already on the cell phone to broadcast the event.  

IMO:  Human nature and a reminder of the canal in miniature.  I never made a cast.  

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

My buddy always suggests we go there.  I tell him I "why don't we go hunting at the zoo?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was a reminder that sometimes fishing is just luck and good timing. I headed to a local pond this afternoon and saw a spin fisherman hook up as I was donning my waders. Before I could get to the water he had another. He was off to my left, and I took off down the shore to the right. I was using the fly rod and fished a stretch of shoreline with no results. I was heading back along the shoreline when I noticed the guy from earlier had left, so I went back to the car and grabbed my spinning rod, which was rigged with a rough rider spoon. I walked to the general area where the guy was and bombed a cast. I hadn’t made more than a handful of cranks before I got a hit. Next cast, hit again. Third cast, fish on. I must have landed a dozen brook trout and missed many others repeatedly casting to the same spot, all within 25 minutes. The fish were grouped together and close to the end of my cast, which with the rough rider was pretty damn far. I’ve experienced this type of behavior many times over the years immediately following a stocking. I could be hammering fish, one after the other, while others near me can’t get a sniff, or vice verse. If I hadn’t seen that guy land those two trout I would’ve fished my stretch, gotten skunked and left. Just got lucky today, but I’ll take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Today was a reminder that sometimes fishing is just luck and good timing. I headed to a local pond this afternoon and saw a spin fisherman hook up as I was donning my waders. Before I could get to the water he had another. He was off to my left, and I took off down the shore to the right. I was using the fly rod and fished a stretch of shoreline with no results. I was heading back along the shoreline when I noticed the guy from earlier had left, so I went back to the car and grabbed my spinning rod, which was rigged with a rough rider spoon. I walked to the general area where the guy was and bombed a cast. I hadn’t made more than a handful of cranks before I got a hit. Next cast, hit again. Third cast, fish on. I must have landed a dozen brook trout and missed many others repeatedly casting to the same spot, all within 25 minutes. The fish were grouped together and close to the end of my cast, which with the rough rider was pretty damn far. I’ve experienced this type of behavior many times over the years immediately following a stocking. I could be hammering fish, one after the other, while others near me can’t get a sniff, or vice verse. If I hadn’t seen that guy land those two trout I would’ve fished my stretch, gotten skunked and left. Just got lucky today, but I’ll take it. 

I remember back when they stocked through the ice we would get on top of one of those congregations and it would be a turkey shoot.

We'd spread out 5 tipups or just freshwater spinning rods until we found the pockets then drill a bunch of holes and jig the crap out of them. Usually it was the brookies. Often in shallow enough water where We'd see them swim by in groups.

Not very sporting really but good fun when you could get it.

I miss those days but it's better they stopped doing it. Today's hoards would clean em out over a weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.