stifftip

Trout w lures

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, Tailslap said:

I mostly use floating or suspending for ponds/lakes but some people like the fast sinking for fast water rivers. . You could use the fast sink in ponds but it is hard to work the bait slow without it sinking to the bottom. 

I bet bb1 could show you how to do that.:witty:

18 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Don’t talk to me about spoons, rooster tails and mepps as I have used it all for trout. Over many years I discovered there were other techniques and lures to use above and beyond the stuff most people used. I did the best with the bubble and fly and small jerkbaits for trout over spoons and rooster tails. Especially when the fish were finicky.  That is just my experience.

You were just trying to knock my new  fangled Japanese lures as you called them. They have been around for 20 years. And you have never even used the lures I have used. And I didn’t say you knew nothing about UL fishing. I said you don’t know what you think you know. Which you don’t. 

I said they were 'new fangled' when we started to use them.

The Mepps 00 is a spinner, not a 'spoon'.

If you want to catch all the 'finicky' fish you want, just put a mealworm on a small hook, maybe w/ the smallest split shot in a shallow river, & 4 or 2lb. line.

(I even had rubber mealworms for when I ran out, but the live ones worked KILLER)  :)

Posted (edited)

True story.

When I was a kid, I was a dedicated fly fisherman.  Took casting lessons from Paul Kukonen, and at local clubs. Tied all my own flies.

From opening day on of trout season, I'd flog the rivers mercilessly, from dawn till dark for two or three trout. 

One day on the Quinny I bumped into this old timer. He was using an ultralight spinning rod. I'd never seen such a small outfit. I think he told me he made it from a tip section of a fly rod. He asked if he could share the pool with me, and I said of course.

He begins throwing this tiny spinner, and begins banging one fish after another. But every cast, right under my nose.

I asked him what he was using, and he showed me. He made his own spinners. Had dozens of them. It was a tiny spinner blade, a bead, wire shaft and hook. His line was 2lb test.

The next weekend I run into the same guy in a different section of the Quinny.

He says hi, and asks if I'd mind if he fishes the section of water with me. Again, I said of course. (I wanted more lessons)

This time he's drifting eggs. A single salmon egg, on a gold hook with an upturned eye, tiny spilt shot and 2lb test.  Once again, he smoked them! Every cast, big slammer bows. Big slammer bows, while I stood there in ice water like a ninny, flogging the river.

That was my "dawn strikes on marblehead" moment. 

Edited by bob_G

5 hours ago, bb1 said:

I said they were 'new fangled' when we started to use them.

The Mepps 00 is a spinner, not a 'spoon'.

If you want to catch all the 'finicky' fish you want, just put a mealworm on a small hook, maybe w/ the smallest split shot in a shallow river, & 4 or 2lb. line.

(I even had rubber mealworms for when I ran out, but the live ones worked KILLER)  :)

I said spoons, rooster tails and mepps. No kidding the mepps is a spinner. Like I said I have used pretty much everything for trout. And then some. I don’t need bait to catch trout. New fangled doesn’t mean new to you. It means the lures are new to society. You spoke as if you had knowledge of what they were and then dismissed them just as fast. Not sure why you did that.  

You guys are fighting about catching fish that grew up in a tank eating pellets. 

20 hours ago, z-man said:

You guys are fighting about catching fish that grew up in a tank eating pellets. 

That’s not the point here. If I give advice I want people to know the truth. 

14 hours ago, Tailslap said:

That’s not the point here. If I give advice I want people to know the truth. 

Who are you, E.F. Hutton?

On 5/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, Tailslap said:

New fangled doesn’t mean new to you. It means the lures are new to society. You spoke as if you had knowledge of what they were and then dismissed them just as fast. Not sure why you did that.  

Exactly, we had knowledge of those new small plastic Japan plugs when they first came out.

Said it several times.  Don't know what's confusing you?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Exactly, we had knowledge of those new small plastic Japan plugs when they first came out.

Said it several times.  Don't know what's confusing you?

You have never even used any of the Japan lures I have. In reality. They were never sold at Spags. The Pins minnow has been available in the US for many years and I don’t consider it. a JDM lure. I have found better than the Pins. And again you were trolling lures that were really meant for casting and twitching. I barely move them forward on retrieve. Impossible to do trolling. Bad comparison. Not sure why you seem confused about this. I will let the people who read this thread decide what sounds correct. 

Edited by Tailslap

2 hours ago, DanCbass said:

Who are you, E.F. Hutton?

Yes. The E. F. Hutton of fishing……..

1 hour ago, DanCbass said:

:point:

Thank you for your contribution to this thread…….

(posted in tavern… no response)
Caught this old spoon in 30ft of water while trolling a Central MA trout lake. 
Anybody know what it is?

There is a healthy population of alewifes in there around the same shape and size…

I replaced the treble and will pull it next time I’m out. 

4B33BBA6-0664-4E32-BF76-B54DD25E8511.jpeg

39 mins ago, TBYRD said:

(posted in tavern… no response)
Caught this old spoon in 30ft of water while trolling a Central MA trout lake. 
Anybody know what it is?

There is a healthy population of alewifes in there around the same shape and size…

I replaced the treble and will pull it next time I’m out. 

4B33BBA6-0664-4E32-BF76-B54DD25E8511.jpeg

Luhr Jensen Alpina Diamond flutter spoon. We used to troll them behind the downrigger. I think I have some in silver