stifftip

Trout w lures

Rate this topic

301 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'll bet that came from Paul Kukonen's shop on Green Street.

 

Most likely it did, Bob. 

 

I walked past Paul's shop twice daily on my way to and from high school back in the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Made in good ol Sutton mass

Far left was deadly at quinsig. But not straight out of the package.......an old guy that lived on the lake and always was trolling taught me a trick. You hold the lure lure with the backside against your thumb and slowly bend it to contour of your thumb. It added a little more bend. Out fished a straight out of the package. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Far left was deadly at quinsig. But not straight out of the package.......an old guy that lived on the lake and always was trolling taught me a trick. You hold the lure lure with the backside against your thumb and slowly bend it to contour of your thumb. It added a little more bend. Out fished a straight out of the package. 

 

 

Nice trick :wave:

 

 

I was taught with tins that a slight bend over a Dowell gave it that action also.

That phobee spoon for trout has a very exaterated bend.

I don't think I ever cast one of those mooselook's.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Far left was deadly at quinsig. But not straight out of the package.......an old guy that lived on the lake and always was trolling taught me a trick. You hold the lure lure with the backside against your thumb and slowly bend it to contour of your thumb. It added a little more bend. Out fished a straight out of the package. 

 

 

I knew that can't remember who showed me that though. Btw I always did well on the orange with black spots & gold underside. The straight gold ones were killahs too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2022 at 2:30 PM, Tailslap said:

The fact that you think me using small jerkbaits which I use a constant slight twitching motion at ultra slow speed is similar to trolling a bait tells me all I need to know. I scale down to the smallest size I can for finicky fish in ALL the fishing I do. It is called finesse fishing. Your large in comparison Shad Raps wouldn’t get me the bites like a very small bait would when the fish are very finicky or cold. I know guys who used lead core line trolling to get the small lip swimmer to swim correctly while trolling. They kicked butt. You seem quite stubborn on what you think you know. Good luck out there. 

WOW, so a 2" lure is now way to big for stocked trout on a lake?

(yup' 'tells me all I need to know'....lol)

 

My fishing buddy that tried the new fangled plastic Japan lures got to twitch his rod, but I usually out fished him w/ my rod in a holder, as I had to drive the boat.  :)

 

DSCF8318.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bb1 said:

WOW, so a 2" lure is now way to big for stocked trout on a lake?

(yup' 'tells me all I need to know'....lol)

 

My fishing buddy that tried the new fangled plastic Japan lures got to twitch his rod, but I usually out fished him w/ my rod in a holder, as I had to drive the boat.  :)

 

DSCF8318.JPG

For my fishing the thickness of a lure matters for size consideration. With that huge lip that bait is over 3 inches.  I am usually trying to imitate small thin emerald shiners. And let’s not pretend that huge lip can’t deter some finicky fish. I am sure cruising around the whole pond/lake looking for active fish works but I am only fishing a small area and have to try and make the best of it. Even if the fish are not wanting to eat I have to try and make them eat. This is where finesse comes in. Your small baits look pretty darn good and I am sure they work for you trolling. I just don’t think they would out fish what I am using while casting to finicky fish who are really inspecting the bait. Again those small cranks look good just not finesse enough for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sutton MA spoons-

(the one on the bottom is a Thomas Speedy Shiner though)

 

I didn't know why they called them Mooselook until Paul told me on Green St.

 

 

DSCF8319.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2022 at 3:09 PM, Tailslap said:

For my fishing the thickness of a lure matters for size consideration. With that huge lip that bait is over 3 inches.  I am usually trying to imitate small thin emerald shiners. And let’s not pretend that huge lip can’t deter some finicky fish. I am sure cruising around the whole pond/lake looking for active fish works but I am only fishing a small area and have to try and make the best of it. Even if the fish are not wanting to eat I have to try and make them eat. This is where finesse comes in. Your small baits look pretty darn good and I am sure they work for you trolling. I just don’t think they would out fish what I am using while casting to finicky fish who are really inspecting the bait. Again those small cranks look good just not finesse enough for me. 

Well Rapala even makes one smaller (1 1/2"), but I found the 2" was the best.

You were originally trying to say I didn't understand UL fishing at all.   And the Shad Raps were too big.

What length are your lures?

I have built many UL rods myself, & used to specialize in it.

 

If you want real UL to extremely finicky fish, these are the lures to use.

How many 00 size Mepps do you have?   The olive woolly bugger was the best.

 

DSCF7476.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, bb1 said:

Well Rapala even makes one smaller (1 1/2"), but I found the 2" was the best.

You were originally trying to say I didn't understand UL fishing at all.   And the Shad Raps were too big.

What length are your lures?

I have built many UL rods myself, & used to specialize in it.

 

If you want real UL to extremely finicky fish, these are the lures to use.

How many 00 size Mepps do you have?   The olive woolly bugger was the best.

 

DSCF7476.JPG

Your Shad Raps are 2” but in reality they are 3” with the large lip and stout body.  The swimmers I use are mostly 2” but very thin. Your Shad Raps are big in comparison. I started getting more bites when I switched from thin 3” to thin 2” baits. But I am not trolling these baits so the small lip they come with works fine.
 

Don’t talk to me about spoons, rooster tails and mepps as I have used it all for trout. Over many years I discovered there were other techniques and lures to use above and beyond the stuff most people used. I did the best with the bubble and fly and small jerkbaits for trout over spoons and rooster tails. Especially when the fish were finicky.  That is just my experience.

 

You were just trying to knock my new  fangled Japanese lures as you called them. They have been around for 20 years. And you have never even used the lures I have used. And I didn’t say you knew nothing about UL fishing. I said you don’t know what you think you know. Which you don’t. 

Edited by Tailslap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, Tailslap said:

my new  fangled Japanese lures

Could you link or name this product, sounds interesting. I found a 2.5" rapala floating lure by the lake - is it similar but smaller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

26 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Could you link or name this product, sounds interesting. I found a 2.5" rapala floating lure by the lake - is it similar but smaller?

If you can find them the Megabass X-55 is a great 2” swimmer and the Duo Realis SP 80 is a great 3” swimmer. Lucky Craft also makes some nice small baits. 

B650FA0A-AC02-4D58-BC8C-850CFCC6F5B6.jpeg

Edited by Tailslap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, Tailslap said:

If you can find them the Megabass X-55 is a great 2” swimmer and the Duo Realis SP 80 is a great 3” swimmer. Lucky Craft also makes some nice small baits. 

Do you like sinking or floating better? This stuff sure looks nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Do you like sinking or floating better? This stuff sure looks nice.

I mostly use floating or suspending for ponds/lakes but some people like the fast sinking for fast water rivers. . You could use the fast sink in ponds but it is hard to work the bait slow without it sinking to the bottom. 

Edited by Tailslap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.