EricDice

High and tie?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Anyone do this? When the four kids go to bed, I like to hit the vape pen & get my fly tying game going. 

(Or bucktails- same thing.)

The abstract impressionist school of fly tying? I guess it could lead to some cool names for patterns; Purple Haze, Grandaddy Purple Deceiver, and a whole new take on gummies :-)

My stuff looks bad enough after a beer or three. I can’t imagine what a little bit of the devil’s lettuce would do. 

11 mins ago, stormy monday said:

The abstract impressionist school of fly tying? I guess it could lead to some cool names for patterns; Purple Haze, Grandaddy Purple Deceiver, and a whole new take on gummies :-)

Abstract is a polite tag for what I’m doing. Had my vise a few years but I’m still new to it - probably less than 20 flies and 3 bucktails under my belt. 

28523CB7-EFD8-4C4F-9A2E-2F42142A9DD4.jpeg

29E4D42F-0D99-4A63-A8A6-D51601EE7814.jpeg

Just now, Drew C. said:

My stuff looks bad enough after a beer or three. I can’t imagine what a little bit of the devil’s lettuce would do. 

Well probably the same for me regardless of the substance. I’ll say though, I have been finding materials I may not use if there was no altered state.

This one is bucktail and doll hair. And psychedelic rock infused. 

5556563D-5DFC-4CE3-B4F0-6667866698A0.jpeg

Honestly, it’s rare that I tie a fly without  some combo of grass and a beer. The times whenever I omit either of those are pretty rare and almost exclusively whenever the pressure is on and I need to whip up a large quantity of the same patterns. Even then, I probably took a few rips before starting. I think my flies turn out to my liking. 

D03B226D-9314-4418-87D5-511843A78AB8.jpeg

7383AF33-6845-460D-9828-9519EE246A47.png

2EC632CD-87CE-4D2F-8652-61548679072D.jpeg

17 hours ago, EricDice said:

Anyone do this? When the four kids go to bed, I like to hit the vape pen & get my fly tying game going. 

(Or bucktails- same thing.)

Fully support this choice, my kids are grown so I don't have to wait for bed time. A perfect task when feeling good.

If you keep alcohol in your house your kids are going to drink. If you keep pot in the house your kids are going to smoke pot. If you keep vapes in the house your kids are going to vape. I always wanted better from my kids. Get the point. It’s time for you to grow up and start acting like an adult. Just my humble opinion. 

49 mins ago, poopdeck said:

If you keep alcohol in your house your kids are going to drink. If you keep pot in the house your kids are going to smoke pot. If you keep vapes in the house your kids are going to vape. I always wanted better from my kids. Get the point. It’s time for you to grow up and start acting like an adult. Just my humble opinion. 

All due respect:

if there’s toxicity in the house, the kids will be toxic - always, intermittently, etc.  Sometimes I have a drink or two, very iced down & watery. It takes the edge off. Rarely, I’ll vape the pot pen to relax & tie when everyone is sleeping. Every once in a while, I go fishing while they’re sleeping. No booze or pot. The tug is the drug. It’s all I have since I don’t get other free time except when they’re all sleeping. (Used to but not anymore.)

Wife has lupus and other stuff. I have four kids- one with special needs who will be my primary responsibility until I die (and then the state’s or his brothers’) because he’s already stronger than his mom at 9. 

Anyway, I do see your point. Maybe I’ll give it all up, and take the edge off with something healthier. We will see. For now, I’m happy not to not be swallowed up by the pressures. 

I get it and I’m sorry if I came off so harsh but if it’s in the house the kids will eventually find it and use it. My kids are all in their 30’s and the one thing I now see very clearly is how much they absorb just by watching, listening and seeing and not so much by hearing. I work with troubled children and the thing that rings truest is behind every troubled kid is a piss poor role model. As my father always said, deeds and actions speak louder than words. So true. 

56 mins ago, poopdeck said:

I get it and I’m sorry if I came off so harsh but if it’s in the house the kids will eventually find it and use it. My kids are all in their 30’s and the one thing I now see very clearly is how much they absorb just by watching, listening and seeing and not so much by hearing. I work with troubled children and the thing that rings truest is behind every troubled kid is a piss poor role model. As my father always said, deeds and actions speak louder than words. So true. 

I think you are wrong.

My son is having trouble dealing with life, but I think both his mother and I were good parents.

Stop being a sour meow meow.

Get a life.

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

All due respect:

if there’s toxicity in the house, the kids will be toxic - always, intermittently, etc.  Sometimes I have a drink or two, very iced down & watery. It takes the edge off. Rarely, I’ll vape the pot pen to relax & tie when everyone is sleeping. Every once in a while, I go fishing while they’re sleeping. No booze or pot. The tug is the drug. It’s all I have since I don’t get other free time except when they’re all sleeping. (Used to but not anymore.)

Wife has lupus and other stuff. I have four kids- one with special needs who will be my primary responsibility until I die (and then the state’s or his brothers’) because he’s already stronger than his mom at 9. 

Anyway, I do see your point. Maybe I’ll give it all up, and take the edge off with something healthier. We will see. For now, I’m happy not to not be swallowed up by the pressures. 

And by the way...

Good luck with the kids.

Do your best.

Do not forget yourself in the process.

Cheers

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

Really disagree on all accounts.  The kids I saw who had the biggest problems were he ones that had zero real life experience because their parents refused to allow them to live at an early enough age. If you are insinuating that a parent who has a drink or smokes weed legally and discreetly is a piss poor role model then we can end the conversation here.

2 hours ago, poopdeck said:

I have an aunt & uncle- best people I know. No booze. Pot??!! Evil! In HS, my cousin was dabbling in everything and was living on Kensington Ave when his friends were going to college. 

Too much booze, booze at the wrong times, booze in plain sight regularly, pot use in plain sight at any time (in our society though possibly not all), these are real risks I take seriously. 

Bigger risks exist in plain sight: namely the electronic devices that have gripped all of us in handheld servitude. 

Still. FWIW- I absolutely know your heart is in the right place.

Besides, I have perspective. Can’t bother me too much even if you came over to finger paint my walls brown (without paint) or smash expensive things like TVs. Sheeeee t. Whatevs. 

This too shall pass- good & bad - and though the stress is real & life shortening, I try to remind myself hourly that nobody in my household is dying. Harder to remind my wife when the walls get “browned.”

Tying flies is the most “zen” thing I do and fishing is probably second. 

Tight lines. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, snapper1 said:

I think you are wrong.

My son is having trouble dealing with life, but I think both his mother and I were good parents.

Stop being a sour meow meow.

Get a life.

I didn’t say all for a reason. of course there are exceptions to every rule. I’m sorry to hear about your troubles but I’m positive if you stay committed it will all workout. My parents and I are proof of that. I had troubles and my parents never gave up on me. 

2 hours ago, John350 said:

Really disagree on all accounts.  The kids I saw who had the biggest problems were he ones that had zero real life experience because their parents refused to allow them to live at an early enough age. If you are insinuating that a parent who has a drink or smokes weed legally and discreetly is a piss poor role model then we can end the conversation here.

this is the biggest load of crap Yet. Are you serious. You are incapable of a logical conversation. Refused to allow kids to live at an early age?????!!!! yes parents who drink and do drugs discretely (no such thing, kids learn early one) are piss poor role models. Does this really need to be said. Yes our conversation is over. 

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

I have an aunt & uncle- best people I know. No booze. Pot??!! Evil! In HS, my cousin was dabbling in everything and was living on Kensington Ave when his friends were going to college. 

Too much booze, booze at the wrong times, booze in plain sight regularly, pot use in plain sight at any time (in our society though possibly not all), these are real risks I take seriously. 

Bigger risks exist in plain sight: namely the electronic devices that have gripped all of us in handheld servitude. 

Still. FWIW- I absolutely know your heart is in the right place.

Besides, I have perspective. Can’t bother me too much even if you came over to finger paint my walls brown (without paint) or smash expensive things like TVs. Sheeeee t. Whatevs. 

This too shall pass- good & bad - and though the stress is real & life shortening, I try to remind myself hourly that nobody in my household is dying. Harder to remind my wife when the walls get “browned.”

Tying flies is the most “zen” thing I do and fishing is probably second. 

Tight lines. 

We all have different life experiences. Mine are based on my childhood and my raising 2 wildly successful children and a 40 year career watching numerous kids succeed and the utter destruction of thousands because of the mind numbing beliefs of the John350’s of this world. Just remember the formative years come early.  I wish you well

Edited by poopdeck