Any osprey?

Rate this topic

bob_G

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

I drove around checking nests and roosts today.  No sign of osprey yet.  

…….did you make sure to check that roost off Old Dam Rd and look for any evidence of nest building atop the Rail Road Bridge?   

26 mins ago, Joe G said:

…….did you make sure to check that roost off Old Dam Rd and look for any evidence of nest building atop the Rail Road Bridge?   

Joe,

The roosts off Old Dam Rd were the first ones I checked, followed by Mo Beach.  All vacant.

Nothing on the rr bridge yet. That's such a cool nest. The adults and chicks are completely oblivious by the bridge going up and down.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

Nothing on the rr bridge yet. That's such a cool nest. The adults and chicks are completely oblivious by the bridge going up and down.

Bob, do you think it’s the same osprey from prior years coming back to the bridge roost?

Seems to me, that is a pretty unusual roost to raise chicks and one that many, if not most, ospreys would not choose.  

22 mins ago, Joe G said:

Bob, do you think it’s the same osprey from prior years coming back to the bridge roost?

Seems to me, that is a pretty unusual roost to raise chicks and one that many, if not most, ospreys would not choose.  

I'd be inclined to believe so, just because the nest is in the exact location year after year.

But how long do osprey live?  Perhaps the chicks pick up the gauntlet and build their own nest after their parents move onto the great beyond.

But I'll say, one of the coolest things Ive ever been treated to was when the chicks ventured on their maiden flight. I've personally seen it on two occasions.  The parents force the issue by withholding food. Forcing them to leave the nest. The young birds begin flapping their wings, and suddenly learn their wings can lift them.

Both times I saw their maiden flights, it was first thing in the morning. The chicks must have been real hungry, and mom parked herself on top of the span, about 100' away with a fresh fish.

After many attempts and false starts, they suddenly took wing.  Amazing sight!

No longer restricted by the confined of the nest, they were not interested in mom, nor food.  Using their newly found freedom, they flew all around the span of the bridge, barrel rolling around the span, vocalizing the entire time.

Really cool sight, I felt sort of privileged to witness.

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Really cool sight, I felt sort of privileged to witness.

Man, that would be so cool to see one take flight like this. Not easy to catch them flying for the first time just like a kid taking their first steps.

25 mins ago, foxfai said:

Man, that would be so cool to see one take flight like this. Not easy to catch them flying for the first time just like a kid taking their first steps.

Foxfai,

I have a large collection of osprey photos.  When I was running the patrol boat for the town, I had permission to photograph them in  their nests.

I'd often get up on the roof of the patrol boat, and photograph them, while my protege ran the boat.  Most of these were taken under 15' away.

FB_IMG_1647309867061.jpg

FB_IMG_1647309890284.jpg

FB_IMG_1647309915598.jpg

The Sultan of Sluggo

Was fascinated to learn  while watching a pbs documentary rececently re the ct river osprey wherein they explained that the same male and female birds return to the same specific nest / location  after each of their independent migrations south to as far as Brazil each year……wow

When they return - strongest get the elevated nests while the weaker or less experienced nest on the ground where constant harassment my fox/ raccoon/ coyote —- survival of the fittest …