TopStriperAngler

Bag/Organizing For Back Bay Fishing

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I have a 3 tube Surf Rite and use it for almost all my fishing.  Once I can afford a sailcloth bag, the Surf Rite will be just for my light tackle stuff and I'll use it for back bays and calm conditions.  I've snagged hooks on the fabric many times and it's gotten sketchy if it happens in the surf.  Don't want to be dealing with that mess in the surf because - A - It's annoying and B - it's dangerous.  I do really like the bag though and have put duck tape on the flap, which has done a lot to keep hooks from catching on the fabric.  I can fit 6 or 7 smaller plugs, a handful of bucktails, a handful of tins or epoxies, a bag of soft plastics, and a jar of trailers.  I've had it 3 going on 4 seasons and its definitely wearing out but I can probably get a few more seasons out of it.  They are like $40 too so I've gotten my monies worth.

Gear Up 2 tube mini. Have it on my belt - I find myself using it even more than the 3 tube. Great compact little bag, perfect for what you describe. 

I use a sling bag because I use a lot of soft plastics. Throw a plano in for small plugs/jigs/metal, use a tube from a plug bag or cut a tall water bottle for anything bigger. Stuff a rag or something in it if it rattles too much. 

1 hour ago, Tyger92 said:

I use a sling bag because I use a lot of soft plastics. Throw a plano in for small plugs/jigs/metal, use a tube from a plug bag or cut a tall water bottle for anything bigger. Stuff a rag or something in it if it rattles too much. 

I used to have a 5L fanny pack that I wore across my shoulder. It held a pretty decent sized tray. Thanks for reminding me I need a new one

Posted (edited)

Sling bag/backpack with tennis ball tubes for plugs, leader wallet, and a bad of jigheads and plastics. 

I also use a smaller 3 tube bag or even 1 tube bag depending on how long I will be out for, along with a bucktail pouch. 

Back bays can be deceiving, the general concensus is stay small but some of the back bays I work can actually have some deep holes and fast currents depending on where you are (i.e. near open ocean inlets or along main channels) and also the structure can vary greatly as you work your way around from grass flats, to rocky outcrops, to deep holes & channels, so sometimes packing light is difficult to do as the bait fish varies as well depending on structure type.

I've caught upper slot size on 3 oz Danny's and sr. needles in back bays, so staying small is not necessarily always the case. 

Edited by Italianbuca

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

I'm currently on the hunt for a compact 15-16 liter waterproof backpack so i can wear it as i wade. 

If you can find one, I love my MUUL RuckBucket. It is essentially a 5 gallon rectangular plastic bucket which is waterproof (so slightly larger than 16 liter). Doubles as a seat as well (just take it off and you can sit on it).

There are others that have basically made a strap system to use a regular 5 gallon bucket as a backpack which are cheaper, but the MUUL is a lot more comfortable in my opinion than those.

There was a decent “review” here:

https://surfcastingrepublic.com/recommended-gear/best-ruckbucket-insulated-backpack-cooler-for-surf-fishing/

But please note I it is most likely a paid “review” so take some of it with a grain of salt, however they at least go over most of the features.

Edited by FallenKell

9 hours ago, surfcaster1 said:

I think you would very happy using an Aquaskinz "Small Bag".  Its not too big, and will hold what you need for back bay work. You'll need to add a shoulder strap. I like using mine for the back bays - Check one out.

This is the Manufacturer's Description, but, it's accurate:

When traveling light- this is the bag you want. It will hold small to mid-size plugs as well as a host of bucktails jigs.

Clear, 3 tube insert assembly of 7"all by 2" square tubes allow for easy viewing with increased storage space (20% more compared to round tubes).

Separate bucktails and tins pocket with individual slots.

A pliers holder with lanyard attachment.

Small side pocket on the opposite side of the bag for terminal tackle, scents or curly tails.

Stainless steel grommets on the bottom and on the pockets for quick drainage.

Velcro hook and loop system that allows removal or adjustment of the bag without ever unbuckling your belt.

Adjustable, high impact, quick-release buckle and a second Velcro hook loop system on the flap for security.

D rings on either side to attach a shoulder strap if desired.

Size : W 7 x D 4 x H 8

Aquaskinz Sm Bag Front View.jpg

Aquaskinz Small Bag.jpg

The AZ small is a fine little bag. It was always just a shade too small for me but you bring up a good product line into the thread. Before I went custom the med AZ single row was my go to bag. I loved the layout if that bag with the pouch in the front. It was by far the very nicest commercially made bag i ever used. I know AZ took a few shots to the chin over the years for some stitching issues but I had very good luck with mine holding up. I had several of their bags too. I think it  is still one of the best lower priced options. 

I’m a 65 year old relative newbie, weekend worrier and carry way too much with me. I just bought a Surfrite 10 tube bag at the MSA fishing Expo. I’m pretty impressed with the bags design and capacity have not been out with it yet thou. My fishing buddy bought the Surfrite single row bag. The lure inserts are square and that shape seems to be able more plugs without tangling. 

Look at the small belt bag offered by the surfcaster.  I used a Aquaskinz bag for a couple years but the material snags hooks too often for me.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

The AZ small is a fine little bag. It was always just a shade too small for me but you bring up a good product line into the thread. Before I went custom the med AZ single row was my go to bag. I loved the layout if that bag with the pouch in the front. It was by far the very nicest commercially made bag i ever used. I know AZ took a few shots to the chin over the years for some stitching issues but I had very good luck with mine holding up. I had several of their bags too. I think it  is still one of the best lower priced options. 

I used the Aquaskinz medium bag (single row, 5 tubes) for the past year and I am very happy with it. Having read about some of the specific complaints, I made some modifications that have improved the bag. For example, I used aquaseal on the inner flap material to make it more puncture resistant. Works well so far.

11 hours ago, gnihsif said:

I have a 3 tube Surf Rite and use it for almost all my fishing.  Once I can afford a sailcloth bag, the Surf Rite will be just for my light tackle stuff and I'll use it for back bays and calm conditions.  I've snagged hooks on the fabric many times and it's gotten sketchy if it happens in the surf.  Don't want to be dealing with that mess in the surf because - A - It's annoying and B - it's dangerous.  I do really like the bag though and have put duck tape on the flap, which has done a lot to keep hooks from catching on the fabric.  I can fit 6 or 7 smaller plugs, a handful of bucktails, a handful of tins or epoxies, a bag of soft plastics, and a jar of trailers.  I've had it 3 going on 4 seasons and its definitely wearing out but I can probably get a few more seasons out of it.  They are like $40 too so I've gotten my monies worth.

This is an excellent bag for back bay--can carry like 5-8 smaller plugs like jumpin minnows or SPs plus it has like 10 jig slots--I don't know why more high-end bag builders don't imitate this design more honestly.  If I'm finish backbays or holdovers in the winter this is my go-to, it holds a ton of jigs, a handful of plugs with room for a few additional jigheads or soft plastics--also has a pliers sheath.  It is a $40 bag and is made with materials you'd expect out of a $40 bag but the design is excellent.  Had mine for 2 years, and while it's showing some wear but still fully functional.  I also had a Medium-sized shimano bluewave that I really liked for similar applications before it was stolen.  

Thanks for the inspiration. This is a great idea.

I have a bunch of 6 mag pouches from a previous life that will take two 6 inch cut-off sections of water bottle for tubes. I had the pouches and the bottles so all it cost me was the effort.

I can even swap out the tubes with pre-loaded alternatives for a quick reload for different conditions.

Cheap and configurable :-)

X6AmmoPouch.jpg.cb1bc2e2f392609ada23acbd945b8ac0.jpgX6AmmoPouchTubesLuresInside.jpg.df9164870e80a63713901dc78578506e.jpgX6AmmoPouchTubesLuresOutside.jpg.1117de611f102c8c4c12b3a1f5437dec.jpgX6AmmoPouchBack.jpg.d1b31713f02359aeffbf904ff5673f8d.jpg

On 3/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, surfcaster1 said:

I think you would very happy using an Aquaskinz "Small Bag".  Its not too big, and will hold what you need for back bay work. You'll need to add a shoulder strap. I like using mine for the back bays - Check one out.

This is the Manufacturer's Description, but, it's accurate:

When traveling light- this is the bag you want. It will hold small to mid-size plugs as well as a host of bucktails jigs.

Clear, 3 tube insert assembly of 7"all by 2" square tubes allow for easy viewing with increased storage space (20% more compared to round tubes).

Separate bucktails and tins pocket with individual slots.

A pliers holder with lanyard attachment.

Small side pocket on the opposite side of the bag for terminal tackle, scents or curly tails.

Stainless steel grommets on the bottom and on the pockets for quick drainage.

Velcro hook and loop system that allows removal or adjustment of the bag without ever unbuckling your belt.

Adjustable, high impact, quick-release buckle and a second Velcro hook loop system on the flap for security.

D rings on either side to attach a shoulder strap if desired.

Size : W 7 x D 4 x H 8

Aquaskinz Sm Bag Front View.jpg

Aquaskinz Small Bag.jpg

Surf rite also has their version of this bag. It’s like 30bucks. I use it more than my 300$ bags 

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, Caveman8 said:

Thanks for the inspiration. This is a great idea.

I have a bunch of 6 mag pouches from a previous life that will take two 6 inch cut-off sections of water bottle for tubes. I had the pouches and the bottles so all it cost me was the effort.

I can even swap out the tubes with pre-loaded alternatives for a quick reload for different conditions.

Cheap and configurable :-)

Glad I could help someone think outside the box. I mean really if you think what some of these types of bags were originally designed to do, it is easy to see how well they could work in this role. The added bonus is that because of the mass production on these, it is easy to be able to take advantage of the cost savings. And really, even if it only lasts 2-3 years, do you really care that you then had to spend another $15-25 to replace the outer shell of the bag (grant it, your are probably closer to 50, but I suspect, it will last a lot longer than 2-3 years)?

Edited by FallenKell