Surf casting for fluke

Rate this topic

JigDeez

I’ve read so much about people throwing jigs <1oz in the surf for fluke tipped w gulp/bait of choice. 
I’ve set out to do so plenty of times but always wind up reaching for heavier jigs. I feel like the jigs are never really finding bottom and just getting washed around in the surf.

What rod are you using?  Too heavy of a rod and you may not be able to detect when your jig is hitting bottom, especially with lighter jigs.  Also, what line are you using?  Lighter lines will allow you to use lighter jigs.

Not sure if you’ve read this thread, but it is very much finesse fishing from shore for fluke, with a very specific technique using very specific gear.  A good read for sure for the shore bound fluke angler.

Hobie Power Skiff Fisherman

Hobie Revolution 13

25 mins ago, Water Dog said:

What rod are you using?  Too heavy of a rod and you may not be able to detect when your jig is hitting bottom, especially with lighter jigs.  Also, what line are you using?  Lighter lines will allow you to use lighter jigs.

Not sure if you’ve read this thread, but it is very much finesse fishing from shore for fluke, with a very specific technique using very specific gear.  A good read for sure for the shore bound fluke angler.

Been using a 7ft M teramar. I’ve been using the same reel I take on charters to drop 2-3oz bucktails and 4oz of lead so it’s usually 30lb braid. I’d probably benefit from lighter line. I just can’t conceptualize getting to the bottom w under and ounce in the south shore surf

25 mins ago, Water Dog said:

Sometimes the fish just aren’t there … what rig worked last year may not work this year … what colors worked last week may not work this week … John skinner from Long Island has some interesting videos taken beneath the water on u tube catching fluke… fluke balls were all the rage a while back. High low rig tipped with bait / gulp still seems to produce … jig heads with plastics seem to work … I’ll fish with two other gents and we have three different baits , 3 different rods and some times we all catch on different rigs and some times we get all get skunked fishing the same two hundred yards of beech … but it’s still fun lol lol lol 

I had great fun once watching a school of about ten or so fluke at slack in crystal clear water chase my baits in about ten feet of water, I was on a boat on the cape on top of a shoal, they would en mass follow the bucktail all around but not bite and one would even chase it up to the top every time just to refuse to take it and swim back down, then once the tide got going they got so aggressive I saw one like a lighting bolt attack not only my bait but the the rig of the guy I was fishing with, we both caught it at the same time lol 

The jig washing around is a good thing, just like a disoriented fish. Slow it down then slow it down some more if you’re still not on the bottom. Instead of a steady retrieve (which is gonna cause it to rise) you should just work the jig and reel in the slack. Cast out. Give it time to sink. Make it dance. Reel in only enough to keep the line tight after a few twitches. Pause it. Make it dance again, repeat.

I just posted a thread last week asking a similar question about what rods people were using now for fluke as I was looking to get into the light rod setups for fluke fishing (I previously always used larger rods designed for bait).

I ended up ordering a Black Hole Inshore Suzuki Special 801L (an 8 footer rated for 1/2 - 2 oz), which should even cover letting me use small bucktails, but also should hopefully still do well with small jigheads+6" gulp. Pairing it up with a VR75 with 10lb braid and a 12lb floro leader.

I just couldn't go all the way to a super lightweight rod such as the Diawa rods in that thread (30 years of big bait rods is hard to fight, and those were just a bridge too far for me to try).

Edited by FallenKell
Fixing phone's autocorrect...

29 mins ago, JigDeez said:

Ok so sounds like Ill be getting another rod this year after all. Thinking Triumph or Carbon shield.

Any thoughts? 

What’s the verdict on those $40 tsunami classic rods

My new beach fluke rod is a st Croix from Dicks. 

7 foot, 5/8oz, 3k reel, 10# braid. Freshwater rod.

Casts a 1/4oz Gami jig pretty far. 

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

3 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

My new beach fluke rod is a st Croix from Dicks. 

7 foot, 5/8oz, 3k reel, 10# braid. Freshwater rod.

Casts a 1/4oz Gami jig pretty far. 

Idk if I’m ready to drop down to 10# braid. I know the test weight isnt a hard stop on the size of fish you can bring in but I’m thinking 15lbs as a happy medium