ghmason

Real Redfins?

6 posts in this topic

Greetings.  I found these plugs today in my father's gear (He passed in '97 and left me a lot of gear) while looking for something else.  I was just wondering if they are legitimate redfins?  Some other questions; are they through wired like the belly swivel would suggest?  How old are they?  What's with the weep/drain hole near the tail?  Any information at all would be appreciated.  The value to me is purely sentimental.  I intend to put fresh hooks on 'em and throw them at fish.

20220311_144516.jpg

20220311_161021.jpg

20220311_161028.jpg

20220311_161034.jpg

Posted (edited)

What you have are RedFin Stout series, the HD version of the regular floating CO-9 floating 5 1/4in. They are commonly referred to as Sinking RedFins. A continuous wire makes up the line tie-attachment for the belly swivel-rear hook hanger. They are mostly 70's 80's production. The little hole is for venting during the molding process. They are heavier and run much deeper than their floating brothers. Excellent catchers in heavy cross currents.

Edited by XBMX

On 3/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, XBMX said:

What you have are RedFin Stout series, the HD version of the regular floating CO-9 floating 5 1/4in. They are commonly referred to as Sinking RedFins. A continuous wire makes up the line tie-attachment for the belly swivel-rear hook hanger. They are mostly 70's 80's production. The little hole is for venting during the molding process. They are heavier and run much deeper than their floating brothers. Excellent catchers in heavy cross currents.

Never saw such a thing before. Never knew they existed. I wonder why they don’t fire up a batch of those again?

Thanks for the replies, especially XBMX.  I have one in the original packaging (I think my father bought it De.) marked $1.99 from a place called Drug Fair.  Like the old Food Fair? I don't know.  I know they're gonna get wet in May at IRI. 

Posted (edited)

They were very well made but not understood. Most Striper guys poo pooed them because where regular RedFin's ran high and these were hitting bottom.  Fished in a strong cross current they were deadly. 

Edited by XBMX