YonkersAngler

Westchester Striped Bass Fishing discussion

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I'm a new member here. I'm starting my second full year of fishing here in NY. I have tried my luck for stripers in a couple locations. I've been to (*various places), Montauk light house, and I've tried some beaches/piers in Long Island. I was looking for new spots to fish and I was wondering what general locations people like to fish in the area. I'm not trying to steal anyone's spot I just want to get some general information. With the complexity of regulations in and around the city I'm unsure what is available. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*. Anyone who has experience in the Westchester area would help me tremendously 

Edited by TimS
All those locations are specific - general is more like the county, not the town or bridge or park. Thank you for your understanding

Google Maps is your friend.  Look for public parking near the water- train stations, parks, shopping centers, etc. 

Look for any access points. Best bets are parks and piers. Western sound is full of schoolies and bluefish all season. Use small plastic shads and bucktails. 

Yonkers is on the tidal Hudson, western LIS is close to the East, and Jones Beach is less than an hour away.

4 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

Google Maps is your friend.  Look for public parking near the water- train stations, parks, shopping centers, etc. 

Is there a resource to check what fishing regulations are required?

3 hours ago, cheech said:

Yonkers is on the tidal Hudson, western LIS is close to the East, and Jones Beach is less than an hour away.

I have tried different locations throughout the season. I am in Westchester and I have the benefit of starting April 1st for stripers close to home. That's why I would like to know more about that area

1 hour ago, YonkersAngler said:

Is there a resource to check what fishing regulations are required?

NYS Saltwater Fishing Regulations

Main thing you need to keep in mind is that the Hudson River has 2 sections: North of the GW Bridge and South of the GW bridge.  You'll see the specifics for Striped Bass for those sections. 

8 hours ago, BeachBum818 said:

NYS Saltwater Fishing Regulations

Main thing you need to keep in mind is that the Hudson River has 2 sections: North of the GW Bridge and South of the GW bridge.  You'll see the specifics for Striped Bass for those sections. 

I've used this resource before. What I'm talking about is like special permits and licenses needed to fish in specific places. Like for instance I think to fish at Rockaway point i thunk you need a town permit or something like that

You can fish now, but stripers are catch and release until 4-1. There is also a fall bite when bunker flood your area.

There are no regulations for carp, channel cats and the white perch all local to you.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:23 AM, YonkersAngler said:

I've used this resource before. What I'm talking about is like special permits and licenses needed to fish in specific places. Like for instance I think to fish at Rockaway point i thunk you need a town permit or something like that

No, just to park.  Parking is the crux of fishing the salt at most places. Just make sure your free NYS Marine Registry is up to date.  Also, if you do find parking, with access to water, you can stay below the Mean High Water Mark to access "private" areas down a stretch of beach or coastline. Private propoerty ends at the seaweed line. 

The tidal Hudson opens on April 1st. Be sure to carry your Recreational Marine Fishing Registry card for the ‘men in green’. I’m about ready for some Ceviche :drool:.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, cheech said:

There ya go.

I was in Westchester a long time and always found the local game hard.  I know you have river success Cheech.  I've never done well there. 

Max, I never did great either till I got a boat! We witnessed a surreal amount of fish in the river for 3 weeks, even had a seal in the mix! Look at the post ‘ bass gone wild’.