fishfinder401

Underrated tackle

Rate this topic

102 posts in this topic

I figured it would be interesting to see what tackle and related things people thought were a really good deal and dont get enough credit.

For me it is the glass fly blanks on get bent fly shop. I have played with older glass rods and newer carbon rods, but the 7.5ft 3wt glass blank I got is just such a pleasure to fish, and even held its own against an 8-10lb largemouth until it threw the hook.

Have an 8ft 5wt on the way and am so excited!

For the 35-40 range, I dont even have to think twice

I find some of today’s sub $100 spinning reels to be a great value.  Daiwa Laguna, Legalis.  Shimano Sahara.  Really smooth and decent drags.  I’m sure other manufacturers offerings are similar.  So much better than “affordable” reels when I grew up.  They might get overlooked because of the sexier higher end models each company has but I find ‘em to be pretty sweet.  

Caivo nanowire hooks are less than 1/2 the cost of Owner mosquitos and are my confidence hooks when fishing sand crabs.

Okuma's Celilo 9'6" ML is an outstanding value for $57.  It is a perfect entry rod for CA surf and casts Lucky Craft Flashminnow 110s as well as sandcrabs w/ 1oz weights very well.

caivo nanowire.JPG

Eagle Claw swivels. Super affordable to the point of being disposable. I’ve tested them out in the basement. (Hanging 5 gallon buckets of water.) No breaks yet in any of the sizes I use for SW bait rigs. 

Combine them with super cheap Omniflex mono, and the hooks I’m looking at from @Mike Mendez above & you have ridiculously low priced bait rigs. 

3 hours ago, EricDice said:

Eagle Claw swivels. Super affordable to the point of being disposable. I’ve tested them out in the basement. (Hanging 5 gallon buckets of water.) No breaks yet in any of the sizes I use for SW bait rigs. 

Combine them with super cheap Omniflex mono, and the hooks I’m looking at from @Mike Mendez above & you have ridiculously low priced bait rigs. 

Omniflex mono for sure. For the price that stuff is unbeatable, I love the heavier tests for tying droppers to make cheap top/bottom rigs for catching bait/small stuff. 

Eagle Claw swivels… eh. I’ve had two break. Not right out of the package, but after a few trips with the same rigs I guess corrosion set in and the pin just snapped and crumbled out of the barrel. One was on a fish, another was on a cast with a few ounces loaded on it (which could’ve been ugly if it hit somebody). I can’t get myself away from Spro after that, they cost more but I’ve never seen a hint of rust on them even on some that I’ve salvaged out of snags. 

1 hour ago, Tyger92 said:

Omniflex mono for sure. For the price that stuff is unbeatable, I love the heavier tests for tying droppers to make cheap top/bottom rigs for catching bait/small stuff. 

Eagle Claw swivels… eh. I’ve had two break. Not right out of the package, but after a few trips with the same rigs I guess corrosion set in and the pin just snapped and crumbled out of the barrel. One was on a fish, another was on a cast with a few ounces loaded on it (which could’ve been ugly if it hit somebody). I can’t get myself away from Spro after that, they cost more but I’ve never seen a hint of rust on them even on some that I’ve salvaged out of snags. 

Mostly agree. I have two packs of Spro power swivels on my desk. I have leaders tied hanging on the wall. I only use the good stuff for my primary target combos.

However…

Up until last year we had access to my in laws house by the beach (now sold) with the kids’ & guest rods, and backup glass rods for low end bait rigs, etc.

I would use fresh rigs on those for every 1-3 outings and they always got the low end swivels with hooks that often had a little rust from earlier use. 

We’re talking high low rigs that got pitched into the grass line at high tide and kingfish rigs that almost always got used just once. But I did bring in a cownose on 30 lbs omniflex, Eagle claw swivel, Berkeley hook, Walmart size 2k $15 “outdoor anglers” reel, and the budget 125 yard spool of spiderwire. I knew it was a day and kept hoping something would break, haha. 

59 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

X3 for OmniFlex Mono!   Love it for leaders.  Usually buy 15, 30 & 50lb.  

Same.

Use 10 or 12 lbs for the first super thin layer of mono to grip the spool before braid. Use 15 occasionally for rigs. Use 20 for breakaway rigs (jetty stuff). Use 30 & 50 for almost everything else.

I do use true mono & fluoro “leader” for special purposes & maybe one preferred striper combo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sinking Rebels, rarely ever see a pic online and don't think I've ever seen a pic of a 5.5" jointed sinking Rebel

Edited by SC

Rebels ,floating and sinking , deadly for small mouth and many other fish … as discount fishing reels there are many but the problems begin when they aren’t maintained , dunked or dropped in sand …as for poles as long as used properly and not exceed weight rating will work …as for ugly sticks they usually are soft but will last if rinsed clean … 

My 20+ year old 8-foot St. Croix Ben Doerr surf rod. Discontinued, but still haven’t heard anyone talk much about them. The 8’ model is just so versatile. I even take it on my kayak. Fun for schoolies, but I’ve whipped some 25lb+ fish on it. Tosses unweighted albie snax all the way up to SS darters without a problem.

7 hours ago, cheech said:

Strike king sunglasses, under $30, like them almost as much as Maui’s and Oakleys.

Thanks!  I need new glasses. Can't afford good ones anymore.   I'll check these out.  

My biggest issue is my bigasshead!  My hat size is around 8 1/4- 8 1/2