Capt.Castafly

Fuel Prices ?

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Just now, PaulS said:

Are fuel costs set on a state by state basis?

The R of old are not the same as the Rs of today.  

Blue states love high fuel prices. They tax energy at much higher rates than R states and rake in the tax dollars as a result. Where are fuel costs always the highest? Dem states. Aside from Alaska, the 10 states with the most expensive gas are all Dem! Nice try though

3 mins ago, Newport Striper said:

Blue states love high fuel prices. They tax energy at much higher rates than R states and rake in the tax dollars as a result. Where are fuel costs always the highest? Dem states. Aside from Alaska, the 10 states with the most expensive gas are all Dem! Nice try though

So the big increase in fuel prices recently is bc of taxes?

Keep swinging and missing. 

Just now, PaulS said:

So the big increase in fuel prices recently is bc of taxes?

Keep swinging and missing. 

Your original question was "are fuel costs set on a state by state basis?" The answer is YES. The overall national rise in fuel prices isn't due to taxation, but the highest fuel prices in the U.S. are always in blue states because of taxation. *pop, contact made, ball is going over the fence*

Just now, Newport Striper said:

Your original question was "are fuel costs set on a state by state basis?" The answer is YES. The overall national rise in fuel prices isn't due to taxation, but the highest fuel prices in the U.S. are always in blue states because of taxation. *pop, contact made, ball is going over the fence*

More like a foul ball.  Taxes don't make that much of a difference,  If that was the case the price of gas wouldn't have gone up in the red states but since they have - strike 2.

And let's not forgot the huge amount of taxes from the blue states that are transfered to the red states via fed spending. 

Just now, PaulS said:

More like a foul ball.  Taxes don't make that much of a difference,  If that was the case the price of gas wouldn't have gone up in the red states but since they have - strike 2.

And let's not forgot the huge amount of taxes from the blue states that are transfered to the red states via fed spending. 

Ah so now that you know that energy costs ARE set on a state-by-state basis you want to change your point to it doesn't "make that much of a difference." Please look at this list from AAA (hardly a biased source) and sort price per gallon highest to lowest. You'll notice a trend, a trend that has not changed for decades. https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

Pretty high horse thing to say when people are struggling for basic goods.

Just now, Newport Striper said:

Ah so now that you know that energy costs ARE set on a state-by-state basis you want to change your point to it doesn't "make that much of a difference." Please look at this list from AAA (hardly a biased source) and sort price per gallon highest to lowest. You'll notice a trend, a trend that has not changed for decades. https://gasprices.aaa.com/state-gas-price-averages/

Pretty high horse thing to say when people are struggling for basic goods.

Fuel costs are not set on a state by state basis. Where is this official list of what the cost should be in RI or any other state?  Do the states release this list every morning?  

Unless you can post up a link to the state listing of what the cost of gas should be it seems like this is strike 3.

Just now, PaulS said:

Fuel costs are not set on a state by state basis. Where is this official list of what the cost should be in RI or any other state?  Do the states release this list every morning?  

Unless you can post up a link to the state listing of what the cost of gas should be it seems like this is strike 3.

What are you even trying to say here? This is America we don't have state-owned gas companies. We do allow states to tax energy at different rates. The rate is decided upon by our state representatives, who decide what the tax on energy "should be." That cost is then passed along to the consumer. In (D) states, that cost is always higher because their state reps opt for high taxation. It's not that complicated dude.

I am trying to look at the whole picture and not my little portion of it. I'm not going to use my boat as much as I did last year. My food and just about everything else is going to go up in price. Gulp will go up a $1 a pack Then I think about the death and devastation that's happening in the Ukrain.e and the lives that have forever been changed for the worse. You don't think Putin looked at the current state of our political landscape before he made his move. ? Believe me people, things can get a whole lot worse.  

1 min ago, Newport Striper said:

What are you even trying to say here? This is America we don't have state-owned gas companies. We do allow states to tax energy at different rates. The rate is decided upon by our state representatives, who decide what the tax on energy "should be." That cost is then passed along to the consumer. In (D) states, that cost is always higher because their state reps opt for high taxation. It's not that complicated dude.

You're the one who brought state politics into it not me dude as if the higher cost of gas was only in blue states and not across the whole country.  Did you forget you did that?

2 mins ago, PaulS said:

You're the one who brought state politics into it not me dude as if the higher cost of gas was only in blue states and not across the whole country.  Did you forget you did that?

There's a key distinction you keep missing. Yes, energy prices are rising across all states. BUT energy prices are the highest in blue states. This is as true now as it has been for decades. Why? Blue states like to tax. 

It seems "taxes don't matter that much" to you, but there's a reason people are fleeing en masse from CA & NY for low-tax states like TX & FL. 

That is my last word. No grudges held toward you Paul, I think we just disagree on the mechanisms at play here. 

Apolitically speaking... fuel and transportation costs are up. And climbing. 

Can't wait for the inevitable grain increases.  

1 min ago, Newport Striper said:

There's a key distinction you keep missing. Yes, energy prices are rising across all states. BUT energy prices are the highest in blue states. This is as true now as it has been for decades. Why? Blue states like to tax. 

It seems "taxes don't matter that much" to you, but there's a reason people are fleeing en masse from CA & NY for low-tax states like TX & FL. 

That is my last word. No grudges held toward you Paul, I think we just disagree on the mechanisms at play here. 

Taxes do matter and it sucks the price of gas is high and going up.  The vast majority of the increase is out of our hands and the increase isn't much different in blue states (where gas was higher to begin with) than red states.  If taxes where the only thing that matters the prices wouldn't have gone up across the whole US. 

Posted (edited)

Nothing is out of your hands if you're a registered voter. We didn't have these prices the last 4 years because we had more fossil fuel energy independence here at home. 

What we are seeing is exactly what Dems have been pushing for with less American independence in energy resources. Instead of opening up pipelines here at home, the current administration is making deals with Russia (Edit: looks like they're looking to ban Russian imports as of today; ah well pardon me), Iran, and now looking to ease sanctions with Venezuela for fossil fuel resources. This provides those countries the leverage to bend us over the barrel when we go to the pump multiple times of week. Supply and demand. Everyone that wants that Green New Deal is getting what they asked for: American dependence on foreign resources and inflation. C'mon man! This is easy!

Edited by sikcrodbends
(Edit: looks like they're looking to ban Russian imports as of today; ah well pardon me),

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why diesel a less refined fuel is more than gas 4.99 a gal here in mass and rising fast a lot of the home heating companies are updating fuel prices 2x a day