TopStriperAngler

LL Bean Wader Service Plan + New LL Bean Double L Waders

Rate this topic

98 posts in this topic

I just sent in some old waders attn: LL Bean Wader Service Plan. The helpful person who answered the LL Bean hotline gave me the address and told me to include proof of purchase. I went on line to my ******** account and searched for LL Bean. Found my receipt, printed, and stuff the waders with it in a large size USPS priority mail box. $21 to ship to Freeport, ME.  

They are now supposed to call me once they get the waders and take payment over the phone. It will be $75 PLUS the difference between the purchase price of the old waders and the new ones I'm going to replace them with. 

I'm going to try the Double L Stretch Waders. These allegedly have stretch material in them. I don't know what the Double L means. I hope they aren't too baggy. The Emergers were a little too baggy. The Teks were a little too fitted. I'd prefer slightly too baggy because you have room for layering. 

Did the same thing, originally they said even though I had a bean card I had to pay return shipping. Got to a supervisor and return shipping label was sent to me. Last pair I'll buy from them.

Remember, don't tell them you used them in salt water

I was told by two people in two stores, one a manager, that it voids the warranty

Posted (edited)

Ok thanks. Well, the website service plan page says that the service plans are "for situations beyond those covered by our return policy" and that "if your waders are leaking or damaged we'll provide a one-time replacement" so I am hoping that my leaking and damaged waders will qualify for this wonderful program.

Edited by TopStriperAngler

51 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Did the same thing, originally they said even though I had a bean card I had to pay return shipping. Got to a supervisor and return shipping label was sent to me. Last pair I'll buy from them.

Hmm I didn't even think to ask them for a shipping label. I don't have a Bean card so probably hopeless in my case. 

I have fond memories of a few years ago buying a pair from them, trying them on and found tehm way to big, and not only did they give me return shipping label they shipped out the new pair that very day. I had the new pair 48 hours later. 

That was cool. 

My last pair of kennebec's lasted 4 months before they started leaking at the seam of my left boot. I ordered the Double L in December and they keep pushing the shipping date back...don't hold your breath. A little disappointed they would put a new product on their website and it's still not available 4 months later.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, SIC34 said:

My last pair of kennebec's lasted 4 months before they started leaking at the seam of my left boot. I ordered the Double L in December and they keep pushing the shipping date back...don't hold your breath. A little disappointed they would put a new product on their website and it's still not available 4 months later.

Thanks for the info SIC. I noticed the backorder message on the website. I bought a reel that had same thing at TackleDirect in September. Didn't ship until like December. 

That area above the neoprene on the pants seems to wear out very very fast anywhere the material creases--the corners of the creases get worn through and you can see the white inner face of the shell material. Luckily its easy to see the damaged area and areas which are becoming damaged. What I did with recent waders is tape off about 2-4" wide by 1" high with painter's tape and then aquaseal a ripstop nylon patch to it. I probably did five or six of those covering about 75% of the entire pant down there. Time consuming but effective. There was some wear above one the patches on the inside of the leg but otherwise they have basically done the trick.

The worst part was stuffing the wader pants with something that smoothed out the pant fabric--I put a softcover large format book in the pant and then stuffed a jacket behind that. 

Using the painter's tape keeps the patches neat so that when you have to do another patch you won't be putting aquaseal on old aquaseal which could later lead to the newer patch peeling. Apparently aquaseal doesn't adhere well to itself. 

The ripstop material isn't too stiff or thick so these repairs didn't cause any chafing. 

I'm not sure that just taping the area off and aquasealing it wouldn't have been equally effective(and a lot easier). Although I think you'd still want to stuff the pant leg so you got a nice smooth surface to the patch--the sharp point of a crease seems to wear out fast as we know. I used the nylon patch thinking to provide some protectiong against UV rays for the aquaseal as well as preventing the patched area from getting worn through again. 

I think getting a smooth surface to the patch also helps prevent making a sharp point that might get really annoying to your leg. 

ppppp-Copy.jpg  

I have been eying the Double L version as well.  I am 6'3" 200lbs pounds and it is hard to find waders that allow me to fully move my legs.  Looking forward to hearing your experience with them.  Hopefully you don't have to wait too long to get them.

Did I miss something?

Are the Double L's breathable?

16 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Did I miss something?

Are the Double L's breathable?

Does not say breathable on the webpage is that what you are referring to? 

The Emergers and Kennebecs say "made from breathable" material. 

The Tek does not say breathable. 

But from personal experience Teks and Emergers equally moist inside, in my experience so....ymmv

Posted (edited)

Well here we are about 25 days later and my new Double L waders are in the mail. FREE SHIPPING. It was pretty easy they contacted me by phone and by email to say they were ready to transact business with me. 

These Double L waders do not appear to be breathable. 

But I'm wondering how many waders really are all that breathable especially b/c need a DWR coating on them to be breathable and that disappears pretty quick in sandy surf in my experience. Others?

On 3/7/2022 at 7:58 PM, SIC34 said:

Did u get yours yet? The website is showing them in stock now so hopefully you already got yours. 

By way I am fully expecting to encoutner leaks on my waders in a matter of weeks and you just need to be ready with some aquaseal and a patch material. 

Just now, TopStriperAngler said:

Did u get yours yet? The website is showing them in stock now so hopefully you already got yours. 

By way I am fully expecting to encoutner leaks on my waders in a matter of weeks and you just need to be ready with some aquaseal and a patch material. 

Yes about a week and a half ago. All set until they leak again:hi5: