Nekowa

Jack Frech Banana plug + old tin

34 posts in this topic

Here is an original Banana plug, arguably one of the first glide baits. To understand how this plug works is really quite simple. Anyone who has tried to tow a deep vee boat back in has experienced the same action. The V digs in and drifts to one side, when it reaches it's furthest arch it then moves to the other side. Rather than a constant wiggle you get the erratic semi curve much like a bunker isolated from the school. The tin was from a gunsmith that worked in CT. at Colt I believe. He made many of the jigs Jack used. In 1970's money power tools were waaay more expensive than today. A 7 1/4" Craftsman miterbox was around 150.00 Jack hand cut most everything using a back saw and a gents. The drill press was his main power tool.

20220306_171442.jpg

20220306_171359.jpg

20220306_171349.jpg

20220306_171340.jpg

Hooks look too close together?  Like the plans published back a while ago........??

It's exactly as shown in his plans. Also the Devcon 2 Ton which was all he used. The belly area was torn out, and the plug was dropped from the bench. The front eye was damaged and replaced. This was another reject. This was given to me after he critiqued one I made that was too fat with not enough of a vee. That plug was picked up by Ken? at an East END raffle. No tail flag and the same blue paint as on the infamous darter. Also I believe the blue Bannana had 1/4" eyes not 3/8". I just landed am getting horrible coverage and have had several posts time out and others I thought loaded have taken multiple times. 

Unfortunately, his plans that were published were wrong.  The diagram did not match the actual scale and as a result, the two belly hooks were too close to each other.  you would have needed to build to the numbers, and not the diagram or picture.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:44 AM, fishrman3 said:

Hooks look too close together?  Like the plans published back a while ago........??

Good eye…I missed that.

Vinyardblues sent me an article with a 1" x 5 3/4" WY popper this also does not match the plans. 

This is how they should look hook  wise. Yours was made to the published article which was incorrect 

2C55E555-A1C7-46E1-9690-AE5C97D362F9.jpeg

I got it from Jack. Vinyardblues has an article describing a WY popper 5 3/4" x 1" published and signed yet off from the 51/4" x 11/8" in the Fisherman plans. 

Posted (edited)

Interesting. Maybe he changed his mind as it evolved.  I often thought he did it on purpose to throw off builders of the plug, to make them think a little. Vineyardblues lent me an original in which the hooks are spaced like mine. In actuality the wider spacing is the ideal dimension. Also yours is definitely a Frech from the originals I have seen. Neat plug to have. I’m jealous. Past couple years it has become my favorite plug to fish.

Edited by Steel Pulse

Yours look very consistent, 3D lathe or handmade? I'm impressed. Jack hit the basement, mellow music and a fishbowl of gin. The two ballistics are definitely unique. I have all 3 F's from Harbor Frieght, I'm going to stamp a lead sheet and see how they compare. Remember how this all started when I said I made the original plug that was offered by zerotide. I found the twin I'll post after I add eyes and hooks. It was in a tub with planers and SS braid and about 300 surge tube lures. The 3 7 1/4" darters are the white smoke damaged one is Jack's top eye a 1/4" off center, on second yellow/red is mine as is the last blue/white with the exact same paint spray as the infamous zerotide plug. I will put eyes on the plug along with the same tail hook and post 360's of them all. Things are just a little hectic now. I have 60 or so darters in various stages. Also a pictorial about aging wood All the best.

20220309_211804.jpg

20220309_211801.jpg

No by hand. Probably why I enjoy making them as not much machinery is used.  I’ve been a machinist for 40 years so I got a good eye. I’m not familiar with zerotid. 

Zerotide Darter = one that works at slack water either high or low.

Posted (edited)

On 3/9/2022 at 9:31 PM, Nekowa said:

Yours look very consistent, 3D lathe or handmade? I'm impressed. Jack hit the basement, mellow music and a fishbowl of gin. The two ballistics are definitely unique. I have all 3 F's from Harbor Frieght, I'm going to stamp a lead sheet and see how they compare. Remember how this all started when I said I made the original plug that was offered by zerotide. I found the twin I'll post after I add eyes and hooks. It was in a tub with planers and SS braid and about 300 surge tube lures. The 3 7 1/4" darters are the white smoke damaged one is Jack's top eye a 1/4" off center, on second yellow/red is mine as is the last blue/white with the exact same paint spray as the infamous zerotide plug. I will put eyes on the plug along with the same tail hook and post 360's of them all. Things are just a little hectic now. I have 60 or so darters in various stages. Also a pictorial about aging wood All the best.

20220309_211804.jpg

20220309_211801.jpg

Some cool pieces you got there, would love to see a pictorial on aging wood when you get the chance!  Appreciate the information you’re sharing

Edited by t_man7

5 hours ago, Nekowa said:

Thanks T man dealing with a triple medical problem.

Oh boy, get well soon