Hill

Post a lure, get told how its used

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Purpose of this thread is to get to get info on lures. Most anything goes, backstories and out of the box approaches appreciated. Post yours and hope for the best :)

Here's one - picked this up from a nice gentleman at the Narragansett Surfcasters show who was selling outside as he didnt want to risk bringing 'rona home to his wife. It had to be in the low teens that day and he was definitely sticking it out even though most people were hanging inside, so I gave him a little business. When I handed him the couple bucks for it his hands were numb.

Seems like a stubby needle of some kind but I dont know the name/maker, Im no scholar of lures... so tell me how I should throw this thing and when I might want it in my bag!

20220306_113436.jpg

I recognize that lure, I think someone here made it.

Rod tip down, work the rod in a walk the dog fashion (basically a spook that works underwater)

Best with a shorter, 9' max, medium action rod

Killer in Montauk !!

^^^Yeah, I agree that it looks like an  Al Gags Flipping Mullet .^^^
Great plugs and they  are certainly on my “best bang for your buck” list.

Many years ago I found a bunch of them at a blowout prices because the shop

I found them in was closing its doors, so I bought a bunch of them.

The first one I used from that batch was painted yellow and it produced good fish for me right away.

I beat the snot out of that yellow plug for years until a large percentage of its original paint was missing or damaged.

Still the plug continued. To catch well for me.

Then, one day I found a can of yellow spray paint and decided to freshen that plug up with a new paint job.

I’m not much of a plug painter but it turned out well.

Unfortunately, the fish didn’t care for the new paint as much as I did and the plug  stopped producing for me.

Should have left it as it was.

Those things are great. Al Gag did put out the first one, the Flipping Mullet. It's basically a spook. Catches very well. A bunch of builders now offer their versions. I love them for casting into white water after a wave breaks, or for working through a cross current. One of my favorite lures for working the surface in boulder fields before it gets dark and I switch to a Redfin or darter. 

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, valentine said:

^^^Yeah, I agree that it looks like an  Al Gags Flipping Mullet .^^^

Yup, now that it's mentioned, that is a Gags (duh, I actually have one)

Tagger did a great knockoff that's caught me a LOT of fish at M

Edited by Sudsy

24/7 makes them now. Have a few of the original Gags. Wasn't a big fish producer for me. 

Awesome stuff. This is getting me pumped to throw it this season. :clap:

Glad its a spook type. I didnt think they were good for night fishing, but last season from twilight on a couple hours past, saw spook types pulling the biggest fish taken during those tides on more than one occasion. So I made a note to try them out more this year and this looks like a good option to have.

Montauk might as well be Mars to me. Hopefully one of these years I can make a pilgrimage. Plenty of boulders and things in RI to play with though. Gags was probably a wise guy to make jigs and soft plastics instead of these, you lose and replace those all the time. Surface stuff not quite so much.

On 3/7/2022 at 2:48 PM, Sudsy said:

Yup, now that it's mentioned, that is a Gags (duh, I actually have one)

Tagger did a great knockoff that's caught me a LOT of fish at M

Think Bernzy did it first with his Surf Howdy.

Work it like a spook, or slow wake it like you would a stubby needle. 

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, Jig Man said:

Think Bernzy did it first with his Surf Howdy.

Yup, that's who it was - Bernzy (RIP:cry:)

I don't have one of them, need to fix that

Edited by Sudsy

Posted (edited)

night time is the right time! slow....slight jerk. keep it in the column. good plug

Edited by Nite_Bite_00

8 mins ago, Hombre said:

What do I have and how do I fish them....thumbnail_IMG_3501.jpg.4514f2139dfd7a783de28233da402e22.jpg

Yo Zuri 3D Twitchbait.    Tip down, steady retrieve to get it swimming, then sudden sharp twitches followed by a short pause.   Love this lure from the sod banks and kayak.  Budget friendly too.