Surfrat815

Chunking hooks?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, tvl3rd said:

For whatever reason it always bothers me when I snell hooks that don’t have offset eyes. It probably shouldn’t but it does. 

Aesthetically me too but I think the angle actually helps turn and set the circle hook. 

I plan to try out a couple different hooks this year. I picked up some BKK circle hooks that look pretty good. I also have my standard Gami Octopus Circles that I have actually been using for a while (they work really good for chunking bait and setting the rod in a sand spike).

I usually use pretty large hooks most of the time 7/0 - 12/0 depending on brand. You need to in order to make sure enough of the circle hook is free so that it can catch and set. I also feel it keeps some of the smaller fish from biting since they can't fit it in their mouth.

Gamakatsu inline circle 9/0 chunks, 10/0 heads and 8/0 clams.  All 4x strong, why not?  One less piece of terminal tackle to worry about. 

Since I have both, I just compared the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 4X in 9/0 and the Mustad Demon Perfect Circle in 9/0. They have basically the same amount of gap. They're different styles though...and have completely different price points (per hook).  

I really use 3. Owner inline circle, mustad demon, and trying out bkk. Honestly don’t necessarily prefer one over the other. I use between 6/0 and 10/0 depending on size of bait I’m throwing

I like Mustad 1X perfect circles in 8/0 for live mackerel and chunking, if strickly fishing smaller chunks you could downsize to 7/0. 

On 3/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, Surfrat815 said:

With the circle hook law what do you guys like to use for chunking bunker? I was looking at the mustad tuna circle hooks but just seeing if there's any other suggestions out there. Thanks 

Mustard demo x4 always ready for the big ones

circle hooks mean a lot less time using the pliers trying to get out a deep hook.  Use them surf fishing and catfishing on the local lakes.  lot less gut hooks