Direct line to line knot or swivel for connecting braid to fluro/mono leade

Rate this topic

JoeBaggs

Looking for input for connecting 20-30lb braid to mono or fluorocarbon leader.

Best to use a direct line to line knot, or tie braid to small swivel and then tie mono/flouro to it?

How do you connect your leader before putting on an SP Minnow/Mag Darter/Popper?

Do you use an Alberto/ Albtight knot, Double Uni knot, Blood knot....? Or use a swivel?

How many feet of flouro/mono between your plug and your knot/swivel?

I used an Alberto knot to connect braid to flouro, and then tie flouro to a Tactical Anglers clip which I connected to a popper.  Either the knot caught one of the guides or the braid got hung up somewhere, and my popper snapped off when I went to cast. The knot I tied wasnt too big and it seemed to move thru the guides just fine. 

I’m pretty much braid to swivel with uni when I’m fishing saltwater.  Tried the direct knot link between braid and mono leader for a while.  Lost a few plugs when the connection failed.  Also couldn’t stand the feel of even small knots coming my guides at night.  

I use the alberto knot but I only use 10/12 lb flouro tied to 20lb suffix...I tried 20lb flouro but that was a straight up disaster wind knots galore....that thicker flouro got caught up on the guides big time...I use a star paraflex and a tica dolphin and those smaller guides didn't like the bigger flouro traveling thru...I also use about 20/25 feet of flouro 

Sometimes I Fish,Sometimes I practice Patience 

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

FG knot for the first leader each trip. If line snaps, I go to either a surgeon’s knot or go to a swivel depending on the size of the fish I’m trying to target

I do same although at times if the line snaps I'll tie a Crazy Alberto if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Knots through the guides all depends on how smooth you can tie an FG and how diligent you are about checking  your knot every once in a while. If you can tie it well, it shouldn’t be an issue. I use about 15 ft of leader……

If you cant tie it smooth enough use just enough to keep the knot out of the guide and position your lure where you want it on the cast. 

The guys at Salt Strong make FG knot videos and recommend only about 12 to 26 inches of leader. Seems he can’t stand the feel of the knot going through the guides.

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

Double Uni and short enough leader to keep the knot outside my guides for lure fishing so long as my braid and leader breaking weight is above my lure weight , for example a  1 ounce lure to minimum 10# mono and braid weight, 2 oz lure to minimum 20# mono and braid weight. I tend to use  30# braid and tie it to a short 20# mono leader so if it snags or too big a fish it will break at the knot. Unlikely I will cast a 3 ounce lure where I fish. I may or may not tie a swivel at the end of the leader to the lure or I may just tie a loop knot to my lure.

If I am bait fishing and throwing heavy weights that exceed my braid breaking weight then I will use a stronger leader, FG knot to the braid and the leader will be long enough to go  a few wraps around the spool so the leader takes the strain from the casting weight. For instance, if my casting weight is 5 ounces then my leader would be 60# at least length and half of my rod with several wraps around spool to a FG knot to my 30# braid. I am using a much bigger rod with bigger guides so the knot going through is not really an issue.

I tie a swivel at the end of the 60# leader attached to the weight and a short 20# mono to the hook.

1 hour ago, Coutel said:

Double Uni and short enough leader to keep the knot outside my guides for lure fishing so long as my braid and leader breaking weight is above my lure weight , for example a  1 ounce lure to minimum 10# mono and braid weight, 2 oz lure to minimum 20# mono and braid weight. I tend to use  30# braid and tie it to a short 20# mono leader so if it snags or too big a fish it will break at the knot. Unlikely I will cast a 3 ounce lure where I fish. I may or may not tie a swivel at the end of the leader to the lure or I may just tie a loop knot to my lure.

If I am bait fishing and throwing heavy weights that exceed my braid breaking weight then I will use a stronger leader, FG knot to the braid and the leader will be long enough to go  a few wraps around the spool so the leader takes the strain from the casting weight. For instance, if my casting weight is 5 ounces then my leader would be 60# at least length and half of my rod with several wraps around spool to a FG knot to my 30# braid. I am using a much bigger rod with bigger guides so the knot going through is not really an issue.

I tie a swivel at the end of the 60# leader attached to the weight and a short 20# mono to the hook.

What is the advantage of having the leader long enough to have a couple wraps on the spool?  I have always went braid to swivel to comfortable casting length mono or fluoro leader.  Interested in trying the longer leader if there are direct advantages to it

Albright, Uni to Uni and Alberto knot will all work well for me.

I’ve also tried the FG based on its popularity among so many anglers here but I’m not completely comfortable with tying it so I don’t use it.

I’m always reading about new knots and always looking for something better but I’m pretty good tying the knots I mentioned and it isn’t often I have problems with my knotted connections letting go so I ought to just stop looking and enjoy what I already know.

32 mins ago, LMBC said:

What is the advantage of having the leader long enough to have a couple wraps on the spool?  I have always went braid to swivel to comfortable casting length mono or fluoro leader.  Interested in trying the longer leader if there are direct advantages to it

The only advantage to the leader being long enough to wrap around the spool a couple times is to prevent breaking light main line when casting heavy weight. For example if casting 6 ounces  and the main line is 20# you should use a long enough 60# leader to wrap around the spool so you don’t snap the main line during the cast.  

For me it's FG for direct to leader. It's fairly easy to tie. 

Not usually though. Mostly I run braid, to a good swivel, to leader. Only 2 or 3 feet long. Improved Palomar knots everywhere. If not, I'm using the Improved Uni knot.

Swivels help lures track correctly. 

If I'm using live bait, then I may use an FG knot.

10 mins ago, JimJ said:

The only advantage to the leader being long enough to wrap around the spool a couple times is to prevent breaking light main line when casting heavy weight. For example if casting 6 ounces  and the main line is 20# you should use a long enough 60# leader to wrap around the spool so you don’t snap the main line during the cast.  

Also, if you lift a fish you aren’t pulling directly on the knot connection. 

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)