Oysters- Raw and Baked/Grilled

Rate this topic

Local Shop Rites and Wegmans in central coastal NJ now carry "fresh"  shucked oysters in sealed plastic containers with about 12 in each small jar for $10 or $11. I love oysters but hate to shuck, once put a hole in my hand with the oyster knife that felt like I was getting electrocuted, it shook and vibrated for more than a few minutes, hurt like hell. Anyway, I or anyone shouldn't be eating raw oysters or any raw shellfish but I have been forever and I can't seem to say no.  

Anyway, I like them raw floated in an ice cold shot of Tito's, with some spicy hot cocktail sauce a drop or 3 of lemon juice , a few sprinkles of  worceshire sauce and chase it with 3 oz. of ice cold beer, delicious. 3  or 4 of them before dinner doesn't suck.

Recently, we were in New Awlin's, different kind of town, but its  very much alive and partying is always on. Great food, personalities, and things to do. We had chargrilled oysters at Felix's and Acme in the French Quarter, they roast the oyster in its shell over high flame, oyster is doused with sauce consisting of melted butter,  minced scallion and garlic sauteed, and cooked for a minute or so and then its topped with grated parmigiana cheese. Outstanding. 

I do it at home with the jar oysters, bake them in cupcake tins for 7 minutes, top with cheese and I add red pepper flakes for some heat, broil for a minute or so. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Over an ice bed…..nice and chilled…..with a squirt of hot sauce and a little dab of good horseradish sauce…….

Salted margarita……

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

On 3/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Highlander1 said:

Anyway, I like them raw floated in an ice cold shot of Tito's, with some spicy hot cocktail sauce a drop or 3 of lemon juice , a few sprinkles of  worceshire sauce and chase it with 3 oz. of ice cold beer, delicious. 3  or 4 of them before dinner doesn't suck.

Your recipe made me hungry for them. A place out near St. Louis I traveled for work Annie Gunn's they had a great one.

"Northeast Oysters on the Half Shell with Pearl Cucumber Vodka Mignonette"

I LIKE PIZZA!

3 hours ago, CHIEF500 said:

Your recipe made me hungry for them. A place out near St. Louis I traveled for work Annie Gunn's they had a great one.

"Northeast Oysters on the Half Shell with Pearl Cucumber Vodka Mignonette"

Good to hear from you, your missed around here.

Grilled oysters tonight, bought small aluminum pie plates, gonna let the butter run over the sides to get some serious flame going. pacific oysters on tonights menu. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 4:29 AM, Mummichog said:

I saved a bunch of oyster shells and wash them after each use.  That way, I can buy the cannisters of shucked oysters but still cook/eat on the half shell.  My favorite way to have oysters is with a little marinara sauce and parmesean cheese.  Bake until cheese is melted.  

I will try this

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

• 3 weeks later...

Big oyster fan.. raw is better...shop rite by me carries a nice diverse selection. Shucking is easy for me I have no issues.  Wear good gloves and get a good knife.  Wife bakes them in oven doused with garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and a dollop of cream cheese and spinach if you want.  Rockerfeller..... awesome

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

Raw for me. We were out one night at Benjamin's in Newport. Crowded. There was drinking. We had a couple dozen on the table. I didn't realize the ice had melted, it ran off the table into my lap. Big wet spot, finally I feel the wetness, stand up and announce (holy **** I pissed my pants) I meant to say holy **** it LOOKS like I pissed my pants. Pretty sure everyone in there heard it. The wife tried to crawl under the table.

Nothing else to do but have another drink and order dinner! Was a fun night.

11 hours ago, Esoxhunter said:

Raw for me. We were out one night at Benjamin's in Newport. Crowded. There was drinking. We had a couple dozen on the table. I didn't realize the ice had melted, it ran off the table into my lap. Big wet spot, finally I feel the wetness, stand up and announce (holy **** I pissed my pants) I meant to say holy **** it LOOKS like I pissed my pants. Pretty sure everyone in there heard it. The wife tried to crawl under the table.

Nothing else to do but have another drink and order dinner! Was a fun night.

No one would have believed you didn't anyway.  Eat oysters responsibly.  :)

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!