surfrat59

TH or SH-Do you tape ferrules together

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I know it's common practice with the TH crowd and the longer, stronger rods...curious if anyone tapes ferrules on any 9ft SH rods. My primary surf  fly rods are both 1pc, but with some thumb issues I'm playing with a pair of lighter THer's for this season...both 4pc 11 1/2ft. Probably make sense on a SH 4pc also, doesn't take much play particularly in the tip and mid section to become an issue. 3M vinyl electrical tape or something better ? I'm talking primarily bigger water beach use where the surf can easily distract you or make it difficult to snug sections frequently.

I would definitely recommend 3M super 33+. Way stretchier, thinner, stronger and does well even in cold temps

1 hour ago, Domf said:

I would definitely recommend 3M super 33+. Way stretchier, thinner, stronger and does well even in cold temps

Completely agree

I agree with the Scotch 33 by 3M. I've used it for taping reels to seatless surf rods decades ago, holding in the pin on my Berkeley Boga knockoffs and taping fly rod sections together. Wouldn't use any other brand. 

When I said 3M i mean't to specify...super 33 or the rubber splice tape, forget the number. I've been using the rubber splice for years on surf rod butts and foregrips...very grippy even when wet and near indestructible

Ive never found the need to tape furrules on my fly rods but I'm sure your experience will vary based on the particular rod and furrules. 

This might be bad, but if I am getting twist I put a thin coat of sally hansen's on the ends. I figure twist comes from the glue on the rod being worn down. If this is a bad idea for some reason let me know--

I use ferrule wax and keep checking things during the day. Never had the need for tape although the longest rod I use is 13’. I know some Spey casters use tape on their long rods.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:13 PM, teedee said:

I use ferrule wax and keep checking things during the day. Never had the need for tape although the longest rod I use is 13’. I know some Spey casters use tape on their long rods.

I have always used Orvis ferrule wax as well without any issues.

Mike B

I just read an article posted on a fly shop website. This fly shop asked seven "pros" (manufacturers' reps and competition casters) if they taped the ferrules on their TH rods. Only one did when he was competing but not when he was fishing. But they used wax and regularly checked  (even when fishing) to make sure that their ferrules were not loose.

Posted (edited)

This is a total no brainer. Spey casting causes rod blank twist. Something has to give so the rod sections move. They will get to the point where sooner or later the fit of the joint is compromised. If you are lucky the rod section will fly off on a cast. If not so lucky the female section of the joint can break.

Wax is totally not the solution. It will not stop joints from coming apart. 
My theory is that pure laziness is the reason guys don’t tape the joints. I tape mine. The tape costs a few dollars my rod over a $1000.

Even taped joints can twist so still need looking at.

Checking joints throughout the day. Yea that’s going to happen. If not checked at the right time then horrible is likely to happen. 
You need to know how to tape ,it’s not just a matter of wrapping some around the joint.

But why should I care. There is so much water and so many horses to lead them to it but still they are too stubborn to drink.

Indolence is a great driver in our sport sadly.

Oly

Edited by Mike Oliver

On 02/03/2022 at 5:30 PM, Sngl2th said:

This might be bad, but if I am getting twist I put a thin coat of sally hansen's on the ends. I figure twist comes from the glue on the rod being worn down. If this is a bad idea for some reason let me know--

It is bad. Most rods are varnish coated. Before very long over the rod joints the varnish gets dulled and may over a long time be completely removed. This does not matter at all.

A coat of Sally Hansen will be too thick and it is not hard enough. You will alter the amount the male part inserts and also the quality of the fit.

Joints move it’s a fact of life.

Mike

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

This is a total no brainer. Spey casting causes rod blank twist. Something has to give so the rod sections move. They will get to the point where sooner or later the fit of the joint is compromised. If you are lucky the rod section will fly off on a cast. If not so lucky the female section of the joint can break.

Wax is totally not the solution. It will not stop joints from coming apart. 
My theory is that pure laziness is the reason guys don’t tape the joints. I tape mine. The tape costs a few dollars my rod over a $1000.

Even taped joints can twist so still need looking at.

Checking joints throughout the day. Yea that’s going to happen. If not checked at the right time then horrible is likely to happen. 
You need to know how to tape ,it’s not just a matter of wrapping some around the joint.

But why should I care. There is so much water and so many horses to lead them to it but still they are too stubborn to drink.

Indolence is a great driver in our sport sadly.

Oly

Thanks Mike.  I know almost zero about two handers.  I did enjoy fishing them last June swinging for king salmon.  I did notice a slight twisting.  I am a neurotic ferrule checker but tape will be applied.  

15 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Spey casting causes rod blank twist.

Does that include overhead casting? And if it does, is there less twist than with other spey casts?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Suave said:

Does that include overhead casting? And if it does, is there less twist than with other spey casts?

Based on my own experience yes. There is less twist but the joints can loosen.

Modern 4 piece rods have less contact area in the joints than two piece rods of the recent past. This does not help. Who has not ever cast off a fly rod tip.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver