John E

Kia On the Beach

11 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has driven a Kia SUV on the beach and how they’ve made out?  Some models come with a locking center differential that splits the drive power 50/50 between the front and rear wheels. The reviews I’ve seen so far seem favorable and you get a lot of bang for the buck with standard equipment. But, how it performs in the soft sand is just as important. 

As long as the clearance is sufficient, over 8" these days puts you ahead of most. Not sure which Kia you are choosing, the Telluride is a beast, all the horns and whistles. That being said, it would have to be $20G under a Sequoia or even a 4Runner for me to choose it. 

They have a bunch of mid to small SUV;s, Sportage, Selto, Sorrento , nice looking and likely superior to anything American, I've had Kia's (Cars) for  9 years, wife loves them, right now a 2021 K5, 35mpg and it has more features than most Honda's or Toyota's.  Cost is similar.

We lease, if I were buying, it would be the Honda or Toyota. We put 40K miles on it, pay $325 a month with $1000 down and never put a tire, brake or battery in one. Could do the Honda or Toyota for the same $$, actually the Kia is a nicer car, nicer, not necessarily better. Its better looking design wise, runs smoother and quieter, and handles better. In addition, we have every option you could ask for. Our loss is minimal and we are always driving a new car. At this stage of life, its a good choice for us.

You only get away cheaper if you buy and keep for 10-15 years, lots of gamble these days, repair costs are crazy, even a set of tires for a car are near $1000 for 4. Or you can buy the 2-3 year old car 50% cost of new, get ready for $$$ for tires, battery, brakes and whatever else within months of your purchase. Want to discuss transmissions? 

Owning a car today is a bigger loser than ever. Bought around 38 cars in my life, 16 new I think, probably near $500K and probably put another $100K into repairs and maintenance, thats $600K and I have one 10 year old Honda Pilot worth $10K left. Bought a house 30 years ago for $115K, put another $100K into it, today its worth over $400K.

So, we spend more money in our lives on cars and end up with nothing. 

17 hours ago, Kml said:

2 to 3 year old car for 50% less than new does not appear to be happening these days

My thought as well.  I bought new 1st time ever because used was about the same price, 90% of new.

Wife and I leased a Kia telluride the year they came out. Coming up on our 36 minth lease in August. Car has been 100% reliable and more than we could have imagined. Clearance is maybe 1-2" lower than ideal when in deep sand. That said when locked out 20mph or less telluride had no issue going all the way to great point light and back on Nantucket. The 2nd puddle was pretty deep!

The Kia telluride offers a fit and finish that is very close to the higher end suv's (Benz, bmw,volvo,rover) but a more palatable price point. Any other questions please let me know we've put 32k on it not single issue. The 3rd row it legit and has leg room unlike a Tahoe where the floor is raised and your knees are In Your chin. 

Good luck and it's without a doubt a beach capable vehicle with the lockout option. 

Best 

Ctown 

20200627_150320.jpg

19 hours ago, Kml said:

2 to 3 year old car for 50% less than new does not appear to be happening these days

Very true, it can't last, the system isn't designed that way, what can happen is new cars will increase more than the usual 3%, its called inflation and we are  appearing ready for some bad financial times. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

We were looking at a Seltos Nightfall Edition from a dealer in central AL and they were adding a $6995.00 addendum to MSRP. I said, "Dude it's a Kia, NO!" Bought a 22 AWD RAV4 for less.

Edited by ARH1956

On 2/27/2022 at 3:22 PM, John E said:

Wondering if anyone has driven a Kia SUV on the beach and how they’ve made out?  Some models come with a locking center differential that splits the drive power 50/50 between the front and rear wheels. The reviews I’ve seen so far seem favorable and you get a lot of bang for the buck with standard equipment. But, how it performs in the soft sand is just as important. 

Kia means stuck in english