Tin Boat Mafia Thread

Rate this topic

The Riddler

15 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I see what you mean about finding trailer parts in stock. Most places are picked clean…..

The brackets and swivels that hold my bunks on the trailer are getting pretty corroded and I was having trouble finding the right size replacements. All the popular places are on back order…..I did however find a kit on Amazon with everything from the u-bolts up. 

Also decided to replace my bunks while I’m at it. I ordered Ultimate Bunk Boards which are composite material and will not soften or rot with the benefit of being like bunk slicks. 

A65321BF-9C38-4316-9E9B-E49758423E98.jpeg.0aab0303127a81a919650d3637ff4379.jpeg
Nothing screams give me your money like a plastic 2x4….lol

Added some console bling too…..I wired in an Evinrude tachometer and a USB charging port. 
7DC2B54E-87C8-4483-97B6-20FBB74054E4.jpeg.baab219a1a8c7e46ac8e9395acba0975.jpeg7C70AFD6-D4AE-4BAC-BF53-0E01720A84B9.jpeg.2399686c7c44fc63b59be3716e6297b7.jpeg

@The Riddler I read an article about Tohatsu’s latest developments. The new models have trolling controls on the tiller arm. You would be able to bump the rpm up and down. 

I will PM you a link to the article…….

Nice. Wish they did that on the 2022 20 I bought. 

12 hours ago, ChuckieP said:

Just replaced my soaked and rotten transom, luckily it came out in one piece.

What’s are you replacing it with? 

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

18 mins ago, ChuckieP said:

Replaced with meranti marine plywood with four coats of epoxy.

Meranti in epoxy should last longer than the owner….lol

I see too many people mistakenly using pressure treated wood. 

1 hour ago, aae0130 said:

Meranti in epoxy should last longer than the owner….lol

I see too many people mistakenly using pressure treated wood. 

Lund did use pressure treated wood in my 2003 16’ with no coating whatsoever and the chemicals in the wood leached out and ate through the aluminum. I had lots of pitting to deal with and Lund admits the problem but offers no help since out of warranty. My faith in Lund is pretty low. There are many Lund groups devoted to the problem, lots of unhappy people. Now Lund uses a composite transom. 

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory" E.H.

6 hours ago, ChuckieP said:

Lund did use pressure treated wood in my 2003 16’ with no coating whatsoever and the chemicals in the wood leached out and ate through the aluminum. I had lots of pitting to deal with and Lund admits the problem but offers no help since out of warranty. My faith in Lund is pretty low. There are many Lund groups devoted to the problem, lots of unhappy people. Now Lund uses a composite transom. 

Wasnt just Lund………

7 hours ago, ChuckieP said:

Wow, I did not know this. I owned a tracker (2005) and confirmed they used copper based PT which at the time, my 3 year old boat was starting to dust inside where the wood was touching. Not sure about the transom but would not doubt it. 

Ya'd think that folks that specialize in aluminum boats would know a lot more about the material. 

2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Wasnt just Lund………

True, true. If anyone needs advice on getting a rotten transom out-hit me up. It was quite an ordeal, lots of hidden rivets and screws in sneaky places and covered by foam. Glad it’s done

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory" E.H.

My composite bunks and new galvanized bracket hardware kit arrived……..

The hardware looks better than what came with the trailer. 

The plastic bunks feel like a 2 x 4….I think it will be fine but the proof is in the pudding. I will post back once I get them installed. 

3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

My composite bunks and new galvanized bracket hardware kit arrived……..

The hardware looks better than what came with the trailer. 

The plastic bunks feel like a 2 x 4….I think it will be fine but the proof is in the pudding. I will post back once I get them installed. 

I used PVC board over PT wood on a tinny trailer. It worked really well. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:26 PM, aae0130 said:

Wasnt just Lund………

Agreed,  I have an 04 Starcraft that used to have a PT transom.  I swapped it out last year with marine plywood coated with 2 coats of West Systems epoxy.

My guess is my floor is PT but I haven't tackled that yet

2 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Agreed,  I have an 04 Starcraft that used to have a PT transom.  I swapped it out last year with marine plywood coated with 2 coats of West Systems epoxy.

My guess is my floor is PT but I haven't tackled that yet

The floor is not as bad of a scenario being it’s not sitting right on the bottom. My floor is factory and I would guess it’s pressure treated also…..

12 mins ago, aae0130 said:

The floor is not as bad of a scenario being it’s not sitting right on the bottom. My floor is factory and I would guess it’s pressure treated also…..

That's kind of my hope.  I don't relish the thought of tearing it all out and re building it.

Just finished replacing the bunks and related hardware on the trailer.….What a pain getting the old stuff off. Didn’t help that I was doing it in the driveway with the boat still on the trailer. Turns out the stock fasteners on the Loadrite were not galvanized and were completely seized. The lag screws that hold the bunks on, corroded to the point of the heads crumbling off. Probably a reaction from the pt bunks….The stainless screws that held the bunk covers were also dissolving. Anyhow, I am planning to splash the boat tomorrow and I will see how it works out……

While I was working on it I realized I could probably use a new keel spool on the front. The black rubber ones break to easy. I replaced this one about a year and a half ago…..

I have seen yellow ones that are supposed to be a little tougher…..anyone use them? Are they better? I also saw hard plastic ones but I don’t think they make them in 4 inch with 1/2 inch hole.

5924E30D-07D8-4403-AACC-B0398242135A.jpeg.64013602cec76c8ba7a1f57cd2a898ac.jpeg

Edited by aae0130