The Riddler

Tin Boat Mafia Thread

Rate this topic

198 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Ya I figured. There must be some reaction with copper arsenic and the aluminum. Copper and aluminum are fine together but there is one chemical in there with a low ph and has a reaction. 

not true.     try google

19 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

not true.     try google

I think google can sit this one out. 

1E3751D9-BB77-49E6-BFFA-5634210BA18A.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I think google can sit this one out. 

1E3751D9-BB77-49E6-BFFA-5634210BA18A.jpeg

submerge that in salt water and see what happens

Galvanic Corrosion

Galvanic corrosion (GC) occurs when two or more metallic materials having different reversible electrode potentials are coupled together and exposed to a corrosive solution or the atmosphere.

source:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/galvanic-corrosion

6 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

submerge that in salt water and see what happens

Galvanic Corrosion

Galvanic corrosion (GC) occurs when two or more metallic materials having different reversible electrode potentials are coupled together and exposed to a corrosive solution or the atmosphere.

source:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/galvanic-corrosion

I guess here is where the thread gets derailed. I'll bite on your bait for minute. If that is case with saltwater being the activator. Why are fresh water lake fisherman in Tinnys having corrosion with PT on their boats? Fresh Water Corrosive now? 

On 2/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, The Riddler said:

I know nothing about this boat. A friend of mine on the site had suggested this hull. I will take some pics and post. The graphics are 90's horrendous but its all there. No floor all aluminum with bench seats. I may or may not add a floor but will be putting more flotation in for sure. A deck on top would be great. 

Would not put in a floor unless you want to add weight. Consider any wood with its wet weight. Sometime weight in the front is a good thing. I had a 14’ sylvan sea snapper that needed weight added in the front. Guy I bought it from had a bunch of big rocks. Thought he was nuts until I realized he was right. Moving the battery up there was enough though.

good luck

One must be careful on the tin boat sites as they are full of the most idiotic “upgrades” to a tin boat one could imagine.   Tin boats are small, don’t try to make them into something they are not. Me, I just like and appreciate the versatility of a straight up tin boat. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I guess here is where the thread gets derailed. I'll bite on your bait for minute. If that is case with saltwater being the activator. Why are fresh water lake fisherman in Tinnys having corrosion with PT on their boats? Fresh Water Corrosive now? 

i thought the tread was primarily about tin boats in salt water.

I never said that salt water was corrosive, just that it provides an electrical connection.

The same thing can happen in fresh water it will just take longer

CONDITIONS OF GALVANIC CORROSION

Galvanic corrosion is based on the same principle, and the three following conditions must be simultaneously met:

different types of metals,

presence of an electrolyte,

electrical continuity between the two metals.

3.5.1 Different types of metals

Whenever two different types of metals are in contact, galvanic corrosion is possible. The metal with an electronegative potential (or the more electronegative metal, if both are electronegative) acts as the anode.

In order to evaluate which of the metals will undergo galvanic corrosion, the dissolution potentials of the most common metals and alloys must be compared.

Experience shows that galvanic corrosion only occurs when the two metals in contact have a difference in potential of at least 100 mV. The intensity of galvanic corrosion is not related to the difference in potential between the two metals.

According to the ranking of aluminium and its alloys on the potential scale (Table B.1.4), in virtually any assembly with other common metals, aluminium will be the anode of the resulting cell and hence likely to suffer galvanic corrosion, if the conditions are favourable.

3.5.2 Presence of an electrolyte

The contact area must be wetted by an aqueous liquid in order to ensure ionic conduction. Otherwise there will be no possibility of galvanic corrosion. This is the case of the tank of an electrical transformer, in which possible junctions between aluminium conductors and copper conductors, immersed in the oil bath of the transformer, are not a source of galvanic corrosion of aluminium.

Galvanic corrosion between metals may also occur in certain ionic media such as liquid fluorine, liquid ammonia [3], and concentrated nitric acid.

3.5.3 Electrical continuity between the metals

Electrical continuity between the metals may be achieved either by direct contact between the two metals or by a connection such as bolts.

Edited by FizzyFish

Regarding PT and corrosion on aluminum boats, I bought a brand new Tracker Targa back in 2005. Used in salt 30-40% of the time and always meticulously washed it after every trip and almost no saltwater in deck. It was stored in a garage it’s whole time with me, 3 years in, I needed to remove some of the plywood floors to replace a pump and OMG I was in shock with the corrosion. Now, I don’t think it was the salty trips but rather the plywood appeared to be standard copper based pt. I forget when they started mandating copper over the previous treatment but fully suspect that tracker had very little brain power behind their materials suppliers and those changes just slipped past them or some bean counter just said, “ship ‘em”.

Tracker also taught me that I would never own a mass produced welded boat ever again. 

When I worked at a custom yacht builder we built a number of very high end aluminum boats.  Like 70+ feet sailing yachts for millions etc.  I remember one of the riggers telling a story about dropping a penny into a bilge and it almost ate a hole in the boat.  They were super careful with rigging copper wire and the nipped ends being cleaned up.  I do think there is a fair amount of truth to the copper and aluminum galvanic reactions.  All this was salt water related and the copper attacks the aluminum not the other way around.

I've never personally experienced it but I do take a lot of caution with galvanic corrosion on my boats esp my ex 37' sailboat re aluminum and stainless steel.  Was always very careful to use Tef-Gel on SS threads going into aluminum and even used plastic washers on my newly rebuilt aluminum trailer when I used SS bolts.  Only so much you can do.

012-Bi-Metallic_Corrosion_of_Commonly_Encountered_Materials.png.76940c0848e233eb793c5efddf018a16.png

This is what I have read….

Fizzy is correct….Copper is more noble than aluminum. So the aluminum becomes an anode attracting the corrosion. Also the chemicals used are acidic and will pit the aluminum. It’s a double whammy……..Doesn’t matter if it’s salt or fresh….but it is worse in salt. It becomes a battery…..with the addition of salt. 

I use my aluminum in the salt and I have carpeted pt bunks on my trailer. I put the plastic bunk covers on them to insulate the bare bottom from the carpeted pt. Otherwise my boat has no PT in it….my floors are sealed marine ply with vinyl covering.

Edited by aae0130

I took a pic of the transom……..as you can see it’s not deep v or flat. Kind of rounded. 

0DC98DE2-05DB-496C-A5BF-DA566A5E81FE.jpeg.80c0759dae4bae7f5c4db17d3ed12257.jpeg

The entry v is pretty deep though.

490A5DA8-F504-4EB7-A455-A7419FBF6178.jpeg.538ebd65c4ca71a464e3ec450083f44b.jpeg

F9493B71-9ECE-4A8C-9C72-AB7932A57EE7.jpeg.6f79ce5350450d12f5ac4827041f0e7c.jpeg

I added some Tempress seats to it…..

1CC52618-F3E8-4E41-A41D-59A318D35C66.jpeg.4d1e041b73453f4f94e1575dc8ffe765.jpeg

Overall I’m kind of happy with the performance. I bought it new 6 years ago and fished the hell out it already. 

Edited by aae0130

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That's a sweet boat! Did you restore? If so what paint brand? 

I bought it new 6 years ago……….Thats the only color Duranautics come in….it’s their  own shade of sea foam Green……they use some kind of enamel paint….the only things I have added are the troller, onboard charger, and the seats. I could have got some prettier vinyl seats but I wanted the cordura material cause it doesn’t peel like vinyl…. so cammo  it is….they also won’t get discolored or stain…..also in the colder months they are warmer on the but being material…

I fabricated the black reinforcement plates for the seats from Kings Starboard. 

Other than the fish Finder, I’m pretty sure every last bit of the boat is made in the USA. Even the batteries…..

Edited by aae0130