The Riddler

Tin Boat Mafia Thread

Rate this topic

198 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Tiller version? 

Yep, with wide open interior. Hard to tell from pics with so much stuff piled in boat during winter, but it's got lots of room.

ertgf.jpg

rthjhgf.jpg

I'm happy with the deep V entry on my 14' Lund Rebel and for my use, the flat transom is fine. I just wish I had gotten the model with the squared off waterline chines instead of rounded. More side to side stability. But overall, I've been very happy with the boat.

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0324.jpg

5 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

I'm happy with the deep V entry on my 14' Lund Rebel and for my use, the flat transom is fine. I just wish I had gotten the model with the squared off waterline chines instead of rounded. More side to side stability. But overall, I've been very happy with the boat.

DSCF0321.jpg

DSCF0324.jpg

Nice!  Keeping my eyes open for the right 16.   14 may be enough. 

24 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Nice!  Keeping my eyes open for the right 16.   14 may be enough. 

14' is enough for my uses. I had a 14' Mirrocraft for many years until it finally had more leaks than I cared to deal with. This 14' Lund rarely gets used in salt now. Mostly a freshwater boat. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, Kima said:

Does this one still count?

20160723_140111.jpg

Yes it does…..but the Quintrex is hard to come by here in the US. 

The Quintrex and the Stabicraft are probably the most heavy duty aluminums you can find. Both very  much overbuilt.

Edited by aae0130

2 mins ago, aae0130 said:

Yes it does…..but the Quintrex is hard to come by here in the US. 

The Quintrex and the Stabicraft are probably the most heavy duty aluminums you can find. Both very  much overbuilt.

I've had that 17 footer up to 20 or so miles out. I wouldn't get rid of it for the world.

My dad's 1989 Lund Alaskan 18'.  This boat has been through 9 outboards and reckless abuse by 3 boys year round in Maine.  Still in same shape, not bad for 33 years old.

Other than a steel anvil I can't think of anything more reliable

DSC03657.JPG.b163b6beee326c5f8fc4efea20b3e37e.JPG

Back when I was cool and fly fished...in 2005

621e65c78171d_DSC_0827(2014_04_2114_13_56UTC).JPG.29dd3f7cc246bd83f74b836995600134.JPG

Taught my kids to drive tiller in it

20190815_083054.jpg.b7be02ff3e06ac821bee4740f5755072.jpg

Grand dad and his kiddos

20160807_144038.jpg.c898b60ef7e882906427931fc02ca18e.jpg

Me buzzing up a tidal river near the bay in the Duranautic 16 side console. 

Edited by aae0130

I should have got a tin long time ago. The bigger boats are fun would like to run a 23' but with renovations going I could not justify. So dumped the 20'. Hopefully the price of gas comes downs down for my liking and boat prices. Will be ready to pounce in a couple of years.

I can't wait to get out local or even CT in the next couple. I have a stockpile of PT I acquired but read the chemical make up of PT can corrode the aluminum even incased in epoxy or painted. Will look for alternatives. Now I need to score some aluminum to build a grid. Nothing fancy just will have something to walk on besides the ribs and a rod locker. 

4 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I should have got a tin long time ago. The bigger boats are fun would like to run a 23' but with renovations going I could not justify. So dumped the 20'. Hopefully the price of gas comes downs down for my liking and boat prices. Will be ready to pounce in a couple of years.

I can't wait to get out local or even CT in the next couple. I have a stockpile of PT I acquired but read the chemical make up of PT can corrode the aluminum even incased in epoxy or painted. Will look for alternatives. Now I need to score some aluminum to build a grid. Nothing fancy just will have something to walk on besides the ribs and a rod locker. 

Don’t use PT wood. Use marine or at least exterior. Glass it or coat in epoxy. Even if you just varnish it….it’s better than PT. PT will eat your boat and it happens even worse if you put it in salt…..

Edited by aae0130

42 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Don't go with PT as others mentioned.   My boat had a PT transom which I replaced with marine plywood.  Plywood was sealed with  West System epoxy.     (new transom is under epoxy in pic.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

IMG_0423 2.jpeg

Ya I figured. There must be some reaction with copper arsenic and the aluminum. Copper and aluminum are fine together but there is one chemical in there with a low ph and has a reaction. 

16 MirroCraft circa 1972

I went no wood at all and am happy for it.

1st build was with some wood bracing and plywood decks epoxy sealed.  Lasted about 7 years.

Now I have all aluminum supports for upper casting deck (ss bolts with nylock nuts and sheet metal screws) and the decks are made out of azak board painted with overtons non skid deck paint.  

Used diamond plate alum in support areas sandwiched around the azak for strength.

No rot no more !

Wish I had done this on 1st build as there never would have been a 2nd

20220220_173454.jpg

20220220_173436.jpg

Edited by Captain Ahab

Google tiny boat nation, they have a website and make all kinds of neat stuff to customize interiors of aluminum boats like this.