The Riddler

Tin Boat Mafia Thread

Rate this topic

198 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I think you may be right. Those going to the gulf stream are reporting Albacore and Mahi 30 out from Block. 

I need 3 more ribs, then flotation and deck.  

While you're here, you've started you want to keep a 14' and a 16'. How much do you really gain or lose each way? A 14' looks small to me, a 16' more acceptable, but more from a fishable room aspect than any sort of capability, and I'd like to stay as small and light as possible (towing with an SUV, probably mostly launching alone). What could one do that the other can't?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

While you're here, you've started you want to keep a 14' and a 16'. How much do you really gain or lose each way? A 14' looks small to me, a 16' more acceptable, but more from a fishable room aspect than any sort of capability, and I'd like to stay as small and light as possible (towing with an SUV, probably mostly launching alone). What could one do that the other can't?

I used the Mirrocraft 14' a lot this year. Mostly at night for Bass. The majority of the time its been with two people. Over 200 lbs an angler. Fishes two comfortable. Plenty of room and we had double hooks ups with 30lb class more than a couple of times. My fishing and all guests on board it's about locating and making casts at the same time in shallow. No trolling, just locating and making it happen. Majority of the time its calm out during the night. When you have another angler sitting up front it can bow steer a bit and top speed will be reduced. Wetter ride. Have the same angler sitting back its a bog but I can still get it off plane and hit 20knots with a 20hp 4 stroke Tohatsu. The 14 is also over 100 lbs less weight. Less weight equals fuel savings on the water and towing. In following seas it is weak. Slower speeds, caution must be used.  Its possible the 16 is better in those conditions. But the hull design is still the same.My 16 is 100lbs more in weight. More weight, more fuel. 

89671D85-56CA-4119-8897-5D2AC0C97C38.jpeg

1A9406E5-87B9-4D2A-8015-7FBFA836250C.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

Makes sense, sounds like the differences would be subtle? Stuff out there now that piques the most interest are an old Mirro 16 that's a little beat up looking, but with a really nice motor, a Sea Nymph 14R with no motor and what appears to be a non-galvanized trailer, and an old Duranautic 14OS that I'd have to go to NJ to get (from the MA/NH line).

MA requires titles, the site says they can issue a title from a HIN, proof of ownership, BoS, proof of tax and the title fee (?). What the heck is "proof of ownership" that isn't a bill of sale? Register out of state in NH then apply next year?

50 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Makes sense, sounds like the differences would be subtle? Stuff out there now that piques the most interest are an old Mirro 16 that's a little beat up looking, but with a really nice motor, a Sea Nymph 14R with no motor and what appears to be a non-galvanized trailer, and an old Duranautic 14OS that I'd have to go to NJ to get (from the MA/NH line).

MA requires titles, the site says they can issue a title from a HIN, proof of ownership, BoS, proof of tax and the title fee (?). What the heck is "proof of ownership" that isn't a bill of sale? Register out of state in NH then apply next year?

A Duranautic in good shape is worth the trip. 

Edited by aae0130

My 16 cruising on the local tidal river earlier today. It’s freakin hot………didn’t bother dropping a line as the water was 83 f. Just wanted to see if my trailer modifications would make for an easier in/out with the boat and to run gas through it. It’s been sitting for weeks.

I’m happy with the mods. ….made it so much easier. 

IMG_3681.MOV

Edited by aae0130

8 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Nice bones…….have you procured the decking yet? 

Working on 50 dollars a sheet for used Aluminum Diamond plate 4x8. I would like to go unpainted but not polished. Its an 1/8" thick. I like the look of dulled out Diamond plate. Plan on making a console and tackle storage out of diamond plate as well. 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Working on 50 dollars a sheet for used Aluminum Diamond plate 4x8. I would like to go unpainted but not polished. Its an 1/8" thick. I like the look of dulled out Diamond plate. Plan on making a console and tackle storage out of diamond plate as well. 

It’s anti skid already so sounds good. Fasten and go…..Have you thought of putting a thin bead of silicone caulking between the deck and frames for noise? 

Edited by aae0130

1 hour ago, aae0130 said:

It’s anti skid already so sounds good. Fasten and go…..Have you thought of putting a thin bead of silicone caulking between the deck and frames for noise? 

I was going to go with neoprene 1 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick Weather stripping. I am going with 1" long body rivets to get a really good grab. I may even go with a bead of lexel as well. 

Agree its anti skid, no maintenance. 

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I was going to go with neoprene 1 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick Weather stripping. I am going with 1" long body rivets to get a really good grab. I may even go with a bead of lexel as well. 

Agree its anti skid, no maintenance. 

Neoprene strip sounds even better. It will compress and be springy. That will keep noise down even if rivets loosen over time. 
I am filing this one away for when I eventually need to replace my floor decking. I like the idea of the diamond plate. I would probably even pay to have it sandblasted……to give it a satin texture/finish. Paying for aesthetics will depend on the shape of my boat cosmetically when that time comes….lol

Edited by aae0130

11 hours ago, adam42 said:

Looking awesome. How many hours have been put in already and how many you reckon lay ahead?

Chop saw with quality 12" blade for aluminum blade, air gun with compressor, rivets with 3/16" drill bit.  The tools help it go faster. Taking my time and prefab pieces you are looking at 9 hours with stripping and power washing. If a hull is clean it will go faster. Maybe shave an hour. I should add 2 hours to demo wood in the old boat and clean up. 

Need to go get diamond plate today for 190 a sheet for two 4x8 1/8" and that is a great deal. 3 hours round trip with traffic, install add another 6-8 hours.

I would say 3 days total from beginning to end. 380 for diamond plate. 200 for aluminum 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle. Rivets and misc tools blade was 100 bucks. I still need to add a console rig a new sounder, storage. Then painting. I would say 10 days total now I think about. Project will be under 1000 bucks. Paid 500 for the hull.