Poulin

FIRST TIME CAPE COD

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Poulin said:

It’s not definitive yet but could be around mid-may. Would there be a better sector than Chatham for this first expérience?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR MUCH APPRECIATED COMMENTS.

I think you would do better on the southern part of the cape in early May. Falmouth, Mashpee, Barnstable areas. Jump around from beach to beach until you find some fish. It’s definitely not as easy as it used to be. Small soft plastics and keep moving until you get bit. You probably won’t see any fish activity visible on the surface. 

I’m booked, right after mother’s day.  I know fishing is not what it used to be, alI I expect is a few scratches on my thumb and maybe the song of my reel. 

Will report.

Thanks

Just now, Poulin said:

I’m booked, right after mother’s day.  I know fishing is not what it used to be, alI I expect is a few scratches on my thumb and maybe the song of my reel. 

Will report.

Thanks

Good time to be there.

1 hour ago, Poulin said:

Will report.

Thanks

Should be plenty of "scratches"

On 2/28/2022 at 1:33 PM, z-man said:

I think you would do better on the southern part of the cape in early May. Falmouth, Mashpee, Barnstable areas. Jump around from beach to beach until you find some fish. It’s definitely not as easy as it used to be. Small soft plastics and keep moving until you get bit.

^ Some good advice.

The shallow waters of Nantucket Sound and the many estuaries and rivers that dump into it warm up much faster than the chillier, deeper waters of the outer Cape, with the Western GOM Coastal Current driving cold water south along the CC National Seashore.

gom_currents.jpg.6712f0a4cafbe5fd3598b068214b6582.jpg

Don't get me wrong, there'll definitely be bass out there after Mothers Day, but I still think @z-man has the right idea about focusing your efforts on the Sound side for best results in mid May. So many estuaries and river mouths to hit in close proximity. If one is dead, just drive 5 minutes to the next one. 

Poulin if you are lucky you might get into blue fish also bring boots fish early and late bass river is close check local tackle shops and move west towards Mashpee. Choice of lures 5”stabile swimming plug or Gibbs type poppers and flap tails rubber fish will be 12 to 24” average blues 3 to 6 lbs no wire leader  also trout rod and lures 

So I’ be not very far from very good spots if I understand well. Normally I really like to just walk from where I stay to fish as it is easier to fit within family life, but this time I understand there are places requiring a short drives really worth paying more attention. Let’s see how things will be developping…

Thanks again all

I don’t always fly fish but if I have a chance I do. In Maine where I have fished stripers the most, I have an intermediate and a fast sinking line. I like and have decent sucess fishing outgoing in various river estuaries. I also like fishing crabs in calm waters.

To make a short story my sinking line is my go to line, my intermediate becomes a specialty line which I use almost only over rocks. 

Can I expect the same thing in Chatham and surroundings ?

Thanks all

I’m in the Harwich region since a couple of days. Didn’t fish a lot because of the weather but no bite, no bird, nothing except wind. 

Am not familiar with the region but I know what a good fishing spot looks like. Renter of the cottage where I say thinks they are not arrived yet  ??

what do you think ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Poulin said:

I’m in the Harwich region since a couple of days. Didn’t fish a lot because of the weather but no bite, no bird, nothing except wind. 

Am not familiar with the region but I know what a good fishing spot looks like. Renter of the cottage where I say thinks they are not arrived yet  ??

what do you think ?

He’s wrong. If you know what a good spot looks like then just go find one and fish it. Bring whatever you normally would and just cast. Don’t waste your time driving to mashpee or wherever. You’d be leaving fish. 

these speculation threads are funny to read back after the season has started… 

let us know how it goes. 

Edited by BlueBillHole

10 hours ago, Poulin said:

what do you think ?

The new fish have been here for over 10 days.Lots of fish up to keeper size mixed in with the 20" fish.You've got to keep moving around.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, Poulin said:

what do you think ?

Hit the rocks at Wychmere, Allen Harbor or Saquatucket