Poulin

FIRST TIME CAPE COD

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Am contemplating a first trip to Cape this spring with the ladah. Striper fishing is always an important purpose… As for my lectures, Chatham would be a good spot to start with. Actually considering Chatham Sea Side Cottages in May. Sounds good ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Between May 1 and May 31, there are lots of changes. It also can be very inconsistent as the fish can be there in volume one day and void the next as they migrate north. Hence, most have other backup plans if you are traveling any distance. 

If you want to make the most of your trip, hire a guide. They will also have suggested time frames if you are unsure on exact dates. 

Good luck. 

Great spot  !  But if I was you I would take your waiters a light spinning rod and reel (6) lb test line and a bunch of roosters tails and 1/4 oz lures / fly rod.  Fish the fresh water pond  in Nickerson park  for c/r trout fishing . Don’t get to excited about the striper from shore your kinda early . Chatham gets better later but try bass river  

There is/was really good striped bass fishing in May on the outer cape.  Almost everyone would wait until June, so we had the beach to ourselves pretty much all month.  Since Tony Stetzko passed I have not been back, but the fishing was really good.

Which part of May?  Early can be spotty.Mothers day weekend there can be big schools of smaller fish just about everywhere.Be mobile.Pods of larger fish can be found.Depending on Aprils weather and squid run along the southside bluefish may be following.It hasn't happened in a few years but we'll see.Don't ignore the big beaches on the east side.

Leave your car at the cottage and walk to the shore then walk east and fish the outgoing.

After Mothers day right? small blackback Rebel, twelve count on your handle rewind.

Dis is what da book says.

I will be on the cape for work this summer, from the the stuff I have seen on google earth I am excited to explore it looks like there is a ton of fishy water.  I have heard a lot of bad things about how the seals are impacting the fishing, I am hoping it isn't as bad as some say. 

7 hours ago, 27conch said:

There is/was really good striped bass fishing in May on the outer cape.  Almost everyone would wait until June, so we had the beach to ourselves pretty much all month.  Since Tony Stetzko passed I have not been back, but the fishing was really good.

Yes, waiting, for us in June, first two weeks, was good fishing. However, erosion at the Refuge, where everyone fishes, has declined very much due to erosion. All of our fishing techniques for this spot required re-learning. Book at your expense + knowledge that fishing in Chatham/Cape isn't what it used to be. 

It’s not definitive yet but could be around mid-may. Would there be a better sector than Chatham for this first expérience?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR MUCH APPRECIATED COMMENTS.

As others have said early to mid May can be iffy. I have a summer place in Dennis near Bass River and there were a bunch of schoolies around the Southside estuaries from mid May on. Closer to June is better. If your primary focus is striper fishing you might want to look at the Western ends of the Cape, as Buzzards Bay is really coming alive in late May. The flats on the nothside are also typically starting to be populated with schoolies. The first spots to see migrating bass are typically the Falmouth/Mashpee beaches. Falmouth has a lot to offer both in terms of amenities and fishing.Canal is usually sleepy until June. The suggestion of a charter is a good one ... look into Falmouth and Bazzards Bay