wefish138

Berkeley Striper Club 2022 fishing flea market 5/14

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven't been to a show in years for a number of reasons.  You know life, new wife and then a kid.  I've spent what little time I did have fishing and also making my own small batch plugs (Danny's, little neck, surfsters, darters and pencils).  I was excited to see the flier on the flea market and thought I might attend as I actually have time this coming weekend.  After reading some of the petty antics in this post I have to say. ....what a turn off.

Has fighting about access, lines, perceived special privileges or availability of lures become the new norm and something I would expect to see in person?  I don't think this is the first "show/flea market" thread where I've heard of with similar behavior. The optics of which don't really look so hot to be quite honest.  Am I just reading this all wrong?  I sure hope so. 

Edited by pressphotog

Nope. It was great back in the day when you had a few guys building plugs that they wanted that didn’t exist. Now it’s way to many guys turning out ridiculous looking plugs at stupid expensive prices just to make a profit. The sooner it crashes the better. I’ll never waste my time at these shows. Haven’t been to one in years.

3 hours ago, 40shades-of-blue said:

Nope. It was great back in the day when you had a few guys building plugs that they wanted that didn’t exist. Now it’s way to many guys turning out ridiculous looking plugs at stupid expensive prices just to make a profit. The sooner it crashes the better. I’ll never waste my time at these shows. Haven’t been to one in years.

Yes, god forbid guys get paid for doing this. They should all be paying us to fish their plugs! 

I look forward to going no matter what. I guess its easy when you show up late plus don't need the latest and greatest. Not part of the club, have no beefs, vetted interests other than the pursuit, you name it. Just looking for a new yellow over white or bunker plug to add to the bag while I'm there...kiss.

I enjoy talking to a builder or 3, that good camaraderie, grabbing a few plugs and just moseying around before heading to the bay or beach to take a few casts. Might even have the kids with me this year (two thumbs up).

17 hours ago, pressphotog said:

I haven't been to a show in years for a number of reasons.  You know life, new wife and then a kid.  I've spent what little time I did have fishing and also making my own small batch plugs (Danny's, little neck, surfsters, darters and pencils).  I was excited to see the flier on the flea market and thought I might attend as I actually have time this coming weekend.  After reading some of the petty antics in this post I have to say. ....what a turn off.

Has fighting about access, lines, perceived special privileges or availability of lures become the new norm and something I would expect to see in person?  I don't think this is the first "show/flea market" thread where I've heard of with similar behavior. The optics of which don't really look so hot to be quite honest.  Am I just reading this all wrong?  I sure hope so. 

I hope you do not let the conversation taking place here deter you from coming on Sat.  The club has never had an issue with attendees arguing about lines, access etc.  I'll be wandering around with a green Eagles cap on helping out vendors, attendees and working our fundraising tables.  Say hello.  It's always fun meeting fellow SOL members. 

10 mins ago, fishless said:

I hope you do not let the conversation taking place here deter you from coming on Sat.  The club has never had an issue with attendees arguing about lines, access etc.  I'll be wandering around with a green Eagles cap on helping out vendors, attendees and working our fundraising tables.  Say hello.  It's always fun meeting fellow SOL members. 

@pressphotog the few times I've gone I haven't witnessed anything negative. Always a good time and always some decent plugs on the tables. I don't see any of "this" when I'm there. Just go if you were wanting to... It's a venue relating to your passion, lifestyle etc. The heck what others say, dont let them ruin it for you...

On 4/20/2022 at 4:20 PM, Darth Baiter said:

Not here, I can promote the event but not any commercial sellers/vendors. 

Love those Berners, my in-laws had a run of them. 

I just visited Berkley website and didn't see vendor list either.  Can that be posted by 2pm Thursday so those of us thinking about booking flights can decide?

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

I just visited Berkley website and didn't see vendor list either.  Can that be posted by 2pm Thursday so those of us thinking about booking flights can decide?

Working on it.  There's always FB

Edited by Darth Baiter

9 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

Working on it.  There's always FB

Much thanks.    I'll take a chance and book flight.  Now if there was just a Marriott I could hit with points nearby...

11 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Much thanks.    I'll take a chance and book flight.  Now if there was just a Marriott I could hit with points nearby...

It's updated!